[PROJECT] stick type rc controller

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by philquad, Feb 19, 2017.

1. philquad

philquad Member

im trying to play rc cars again, but i cant use the pistol grip, my fingers dont allow it, has anyone got a stick type transmitter? up-down on the left, left-right on the right? then i can extend the sticks, & sort of put them through my fingers & go mad

2. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

Just about any plane/Heli/quad transmitter will work fine. Futaba, spektrum and hitec for example all have quality offerings that will do the job fantastic.

The biggest issue is adding a return spring to the throttle. I believe if you order a spektrum radio through horizon hobbies, then can do this for you before sending it out.

3. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

if you're after something high-end, a Taranis is fully configurable in terms of adding or removing centring springs / notchy feel / resistance etc on both sticks :thumbup: But very much overkill for an RC car

Without knowing the limitations of your fingers, I don't know how useful it'd be to you but I suggest glueing a horizontal bar onto the trigger so it extends beyond the housing. That way you can just push or pull the bar. I modified a transmitter this way for a friend at my previous car club who had his left hand amputated. He used a loop on the end of his stump to push and pull the bar and it worked very well - he won races.

If you're able to use the steering wheel i'd suggest trying to make it work with a trigger grip somehow, the steering wheel is so much more natural and easy to operate proportionally than a stick-type transmitter.

4. OP
    OP
    philquad

philquad Member

yea we drilled a hole in the pistol grip wheel, & stuck a pencil in it
    its the trigger thats a pain

as said above a simple stick job with thin hose as extenders seems the best way

i think theres a flysky?

5. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

If you're looking more budget friendly there is frsky, hobbyking, Jr and turnigy for example

6. OP
    OP
    philquad

philquad Member

7. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

Chip thingy?

8. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

9. OP
    OP
    philquad

philquad Member

10. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

That's commonly known as mode 2, which is more common than mode 1, which is the other way around.

At a guess I'd say that radio will work fine, aside from the lack of a throttle trigger return spring.

11. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

seems to be some confusion in this thread... The receiver (in the car) needs to suit the transmitter. Unless you buy the same brand and it specifically uses the same protocol, it's not going to work. Take your mind off chips and crystals there is no need to even think about that.

Any stick-type transmitter will do the job you want. You'll probably want to use the stick on the left for throttle and the stick on the right for steering. So that they're both spring loaded / self-centring, you'll want to use MODE 1 (because the throttle stick on MODE 2 is not self-centring). If you want the throttle stick on the right, then use MODE 2.

You'll find that the sticks move in two axis when you only one throws you off a bit... Might be worth gluing some strips of plastic or somesuch in place to limit their movement to one axis.

12. OP
    OP
    philquad

philquad Member

thanks guys
    have somewhat of a solution
    http://www.ripmax.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=P-CB2HR&Category=060-010-050

mode 2, whether the throttle returns or not is no big deal,

ideally would like a custom built job, even a board with the sticks protruding

but im not electronic minded so

with this new ndis thingy going, funny i cant use funding for this
    but if someone built it & it cost $1000, its allowed ?

13. Enlargee79

Enlargee79 Member

Hey there.

I have a plethora of old-school stick type radios complete with receivers if you're still looking for the original type. I've been upgrading the models to 2.4GHz.

I have Hitec ranger 2 29MHz with the original box, even.

These days with everyone on 2.4GHz you're even unlikely to come across interference issues even at races and general get togethers.

14. OP
    OP
    philquad

philquad Member

missed by that much, but thanks anyway

i bought a futaba $100 (only paid that for car)

but it works & i got some brass rods to extend the sticks

all good