Sticky Honey & Soy Chicken

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by RETARD, Nov 30, 2013.

1. RETARD

RETARD New Member

Serves: 4 -6 hungry people
    Prep: 10 min
    Cooking Time: approx. 2 hrs 45 mins

So I was about to stuff my face with left overs from last night's dinner when I thought ... "why not take a below average photo with lots of shadows & share it with my fellow O-cows." GENIUS!

It's kind of the same premise as my Sticky Coca-Cola Chicken Wings recipe but even easier.
    If you can mix things in a bowl and use a knife then you are a winning candidate for making this recipe :D

You'll have extra love for this if you:
    1) Are a tight arse with money
    2) Hate spending a long time with dinner preparation
    3) Enjoy sticky, sweet, finger lickin' noms

INGREDIENTS

• 2 kg Free range Chicken Wings
    • 2/3 cup of Kecap Manis
    • 5 cloves of fresh grated garlic
    • 4 Tablespoons of Australian Honey
    • BIG squeeze of fresh squeezed lemon juice (probably 1/4 cup - this breaks through the richness)
    • 1 Tablespoon Oyster Sauce
    • 2 Tablespoons Hoisin Sauce
    • Zest of 1 lemon finely grated
    • Some steamed veg - carrots and peas are easy, but pretty much anything goes, some broccoli or even an acidic salad would go well)
    • Plain white rice if you like

METHOD

1. In a large roasting pan place the sectioned up chicken wings (discard the tips)

2. Whisk the all the other ingredients in a bowl (minus the veg/salad), taste for some kind of sweet sour, balance - then pour over the chicken.

3. This next step is optional ... Cover in cling film and allow to marinade in the fridge. Overnight is preferred, 2 hours is alright, Cook immediately if you are dying of hunger - but you have been warned.

4. Sprinkle with Sesame seeds and place into a preheated 150 deg C oven

5. Every 45 mins or so remove and baste with the liquid

6. When they are done simply switch the oven off and cook your rice/veg/salad. Something about warm chicken wings which is so much more appealing.

7. Sprinkle over some more Sesame seeds. Place some of the marinade in a dipping bowl. Smother that stuff all over :D

You'll probably need a damp paper towel to combat the wads of awesome chicken sticky stuff all over your face and hands.
    Any left over you can keep in the fridge for a week or just freeze in ice cubes. Add it to the next meal / stir fry.
    Any left over chicken = free meal the next day :leet:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  2. dacow

dacow Member

Wow no one has tried this yet?? looks awesomeness!!!!!

3. azzachaz

azzachaz Member

Thanks for this fantastic recipe RETARD! Made it for the family last night.
    My local halal butcher had chicken wings for $1.99/kg and I keep all the other ingredients in stock so it was the cheapest dinner ever.

Family loved it, they rated it above my own fried chicken and your coca-cola chicken.

Came out very sticky and heaps of maillard. Extra sauce went great on the rice too.

For entrée I made some simple deep fried won-tons using won-ton sheets from the Asian grocer and diced left over ham. Kids dunked them in the sauce.

4. azzachaz

azzachaz Member

So I made this for the family again last night. I have made it several times and you really cant get it wrong.

Absolutely demolished 2kg with my family of 8. They were disappointed I didn't make more.

The extra sauce goes good over steamed veges and rice.