1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Stolen camera gear (Maitland Area)

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by [SR]Goose, Oct 30, 2013.

1. [SR]Goose

[SR]Goose Member

Hi All,

My House was broken into yesterday. Among the things stolen was my camera bag. Long shot but if anyone hears anything could you send me a message.

The stolen gear was:

Canon 60D SN: 1681028046
    Sandisk extreme Pro 32Gb SD card
    Sandisk Pro 16Gb SD card
    canon 28-105mm F3.5-4.5
    Lowpro Flipside 300 (Blue)
    Sigma 100-300mm F4
    Sigma 1.4X teleconvertor
    Spare battery for 60D
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro
    Caryspeed FS-Pro carry strap
    Carry speed FS-1 mounting plate

Thanks for any help and or sugestions. I have already looked at www.stolencamerafinder.com but nothing as yet other then one of my photos.

2. ozdealer

ozdealer Member

Will keep an eye out on FB camera pages for you!!

3. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Hope you had insurance. Will keep an eye out.

4. OP
    OP
    [SR]Goose

[SR]Goose Member

thanks guys. Insurance assesor has just been, seems very happy with all our documentation. Hopefuly won't be too long till we hear back from them.

5. ints

ints Member

Local pawn shops?

6. OP
    OP
    [SR]Goose

[SR]Goose Member

Only really one in the immediate area, checked it yesterday and found nothing. going to check the larger area on the weekend.

7. Kennui

Kennui Member

Just curious - let's say you are reimbursed via insurance and your gear can be bought again (or however much value you get back). A week later the stolen goods are tracked down and police are involved. Can you get your stuff back?

8. methd

methd Member

If it's found and the insurance company has paid out then the items then belong to them...

9. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

man this thread has just reminded me to call my insurance company and ask them what their policy is regarding camera gear, and other stuff such as laptops and computers that we own.

i was told that some insurance companies now ask their customers to itemize all their computers, laptops and camera gear, and may ask for proof of ownership of said items.

i know our insurer requires jewelry to be itemized separately if it is valued over $1000.

10. OP
    OP
    [SR]Goose

[SR]Goose Member

I had to provide proof of ownership for all the gear. Luckily anything i brought online i have been able to re-print invoices for or go through my purchase history on ebay. The 100mm macro i had only picked up the day before so it was a bit harder to provide proof for but they were happy with what i had.

I am currently thinking about setting up a Google docs spreadsheet with a list of any gear I get in the future with serial numbers, purchase dates and a photo of it.

11. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

That's what I do.

Its a great system, and can access it from anywhere and can forget about it.

12. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

yes i already have what i call an "asset register" which is an excel sheet documenting every single item we own inside our home, items outside, and our cars, jewelry etc, but that is just a list i made of the items, with an approximate value for each.

now im going to update that, and take photos of any electronics gear, including labels with the model/serial numbers, just so we have it.

a lot of what i buy may be 2nd hand so i dont always get a purchase receipt, or a personal receipt from the seller to prove i bought it.

hense a call to my insurer to ask them how their policy works.

13. tyb1987

tyb1987 Member

How much excess you have to pay for your gears?

14. iXeR0

iXeR0 Member

I use this website: https://www.lenstag.com/

My insurance policy lists all my gear with serial numbers, but I still use lenstag to register the smaller stuff that isn't worth insuring.

15. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

How do you prove to insurance that your gear is genuinely yours if it was purchased second hand, say, from here, like my lenses are?

16. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

I send and request the seller to sign a receipt of sale. It includes their name, address the serial number and date of sale. I then attach that to my netbank receipt or whatever for the transaction.

Just fixed my 17-40L through insurance however, didnt have to show anything (bar send the repair bill quote to the insurer).

17. a1ring23

a1ring23 Member

What if the seller isn't prepared to do that or in the past for whatever reason you haven't been able to get a purchase receipt from a private seller when purchasing goods second hand?

18. Shortass_Jr

Shortass_Jr Member

iv had this issue all i did was show them the box, photo of the said lens i took before it got stolen or lost. I also send them a photo or two taken with the said lens with exif data attached in that it shows the lens that the photo was taken with..... the two times iv had to that has been enough.... i also took all my gear into Vanbar in Melbourne and got the manager to value all my gear and state the current market value and serial numbers that helped a lot it proves i own the gear....

19. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

my insurer (aami) just needs the brand, model number or part number, serial number, and if possible a photo of the item showing those details (sticker under the laptop for example)

they told me that if they are stolen, and are recovered after they pay me out, they keep those goods, and i can buy them back from them at an agreed value, the same as if you write off your car and get a payout, you can actually buy the wreck from them at an agreed value, or the sell it elsewhere to recover some of their funds.

20. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

That's a subjective legal question that can "only be answered by" your insurance Co., importantly make sure you get it in writing!!

You only have to remember the 2011 Brisbane Floods and all the legal arguments from the different providers and service delivery.......there were "significant differences" between providers, SunCorp honored all claims immediately, whereas RACQ argued for greater than 9 months!