Stonehenge technology: Moving a 10 ton block of stone with manpower

Discussion in 'Science' started by Fortigurn, May 5, 2009.

1. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

2. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

let see him put the horizontal blocks on top of the vertical blocks to make a judgment.

3. OP
    OP
    Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

He already did that. Did you see the mini-arch he already built, consisting of two vertical stones and one horizontal stone across the top of them both?

4. jamiemao

jamiemao Member

things like this make me think 'why didnt i think of that?'

5. zdream

zdream Member

Thats brilliant! Enjoyed it very much :)

6. OP
    OP
    Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Seriously, the man is a genius (from my point of view anyway). How did he think of that cunning way to gradually jack up that massive block and tilt it at that angle? :eek:

7. jamiemao

jamiemao Member

i wonder if his ingenuity can help towards engineering in terms of redefining fundamental procedures.

8. samos

samos Member

That is so crazy, I'd like to see it done from start to finish. How'd he get it into jacking position with all the timber in the sea saw manner? It's definitely the fundamental building blocks of construction in the early day.

At the start when he gets the two stones under the slab, was he just using one of the wooden levers to prop it up? I just can't see how a lever of that size would prop up the slab, in my mind it would need to be longer?

Either way, he's a gun

9. porridge

porridge New Member

Whats wrong with the rolling logs method for transportation? A lot quicker too I would think as well as terrain friendly.

10. Riddick187

Riddick187 Member

Doubt the ancients messed around like this. They likely used the most basic, intuitive leverage techniques. Don't get me wrong, these are intuitive but it would be just too difficult to correlate movements of such time and force dependent balance switching as shown in the video.

Has any actually tried getting about 200+ people together, throwing different length lassos around those slabs and dragging/rolling them over logs and pulling them up into standing position by digging the ground away from under them and getting enough man/horse power to get the final result.

There's an idea! Maybe they just used bears, horses and elephants :D:D:D

11. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

"Secrets of the Ancients" had an episode where they tried to move a big arsed rock from the only place these particular rocks are found, to where they ended up carved into big arsed heads.

Inevitably, trying to move this shit with the basics (people, ropes, rollers) never works out well... Carving them with basic handtools was also a lot of work.

from the wiki:

12. OP
    OP
    Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

The team from the NOVA TV series did some obelisk raising, which was impressive.

Their experiences tell us quite a bit about what was and wasn't practical in Egypt at the time. One point they mentioned was that wooden rollers tend to be crushed quite promptly when you drag a 40 ton obelisk over them, and this is going to be a real problem when you consider that the Egyptians were fooling around with obelisks weighing well over 100 tons.

Interesting comments here about pulleys:

The obelisks were transported by barge. The NOVA team managed to transport a 5 ton obelisk using a barge they built:

This was tiny, nothing like the real thing:

Queen Hatshepsut transported two obelisks, 28.5 metres long, weighing 374 tons by barge (don't ask me what they did with them on land), using this bad boy:

[​IMG]

The two obelisks can be seen lying end to end. The most conservative estimate for the length of this barge is 80 metres, and that assumes the depiction is wrong and the obelisks were lying side by side. The average estimate is around 95 metres, and it is agreed that if the obelisks were end to end as depicted here, the barge would have been around 140 metres long. :shock:

13. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

Oh well, we can just go back to the "Aliens did it" theory. Makes as much sense as god making the world in 7 days.

14. OP
    OP
    Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

You'd think aliens would do a better job, and wouldn't leave confusing 'clues' like snapped off obelisk stumps in granite quarries which look suspiciously hand carved.

15. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

its a smoke screen. its diversion. they want you to think that.

/wears tin foil hat to stop the government scanning my brain waves.

16. T0fu

T0fu Member

dont u need a completely flat and hard surface? i doubt u can get away with this on grass

17. OP
    OP
    Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

He shifted that entire barn 300 feet across grassy earth (see the video at 2:06).

18. mezla

mezla Member

HIs method for moving big stuff is clearly not going to work on the grassy plains of Bath. Fundamentally flawed.

Also... if you gather 100s of fully grown druids together and they all change into bear form I reckon they could move really heavy blocks.

19. OP
    OP
    Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Mentioned previously:

20. Whisper

Whisper Member

He was also, 1 MAN