1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

stop smh.com.au autoplay video?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Multiplexer, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

A while back I managed to configure chrome to disable smh.com.au video autoplay. Recently I did a browser reset and now I dont recall how I go about in disabling the autoplay.

I prefer not to use a 3rd party app. One thing I do remember is entering a link in the chrome setting that prevent it from autoplaying.

Anyone have any idea on how to disable smh.com.au video?

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

I don't know specifically, but the setting in my browser is under plugins and is "click to play". That might get you the instructions if you search that.

3. Opticon

Opticon Member

4. callan

callan Member

Yeah - Fairfax have gone batty with the number of autoplay videos recently, throwing any sort of irrelevant shit into a video and auto-playing it on most articles.

I note you were referring to Chrome (and that's been answered above, but for Firefox users out there you can do the same thing (disable HTML autoplay). I've found that the plugin flashstopper gives more flexibility (EG site by site whitelisting). Despite it's name it handles html5 video as well as flash.

On the one machine still with flash loaded I have flash on click-to-play AS WELL, though - much safer.

Callan

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  5. shane41

shane41 Member

Bookmarked :thumbup: I'll refer to this later. Bloody shits me too, autoplay hey use my precious small 3g quota on shit I don't want to watch.

6. ndt

ndt Member

doesn't one of the adblocker extensions allow for blocking of certain frames? Like you can right click on the frame and say always block and it blocks the URL or something?
    Edit: whoops you said no third party.

As meantioned above, you can also set flash to always ask to play.

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I agree, they are going ballistic with their videos in the last few months. Autoplay everything.

I use FF with some plugins and I think for the most part autoplay is blocked.

8. nicholasporison

nicholasporison Member

9. OP
    OP
    Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

I wish I remember how to block smh.com.au from auto playing the video. It was something really simple without third party app.

I ended up resorting to block "brightcove" in my router URL list.

10. nicholasporison

nicholasporison Member

thats amazing

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What is? Blocking BrightCove?

12. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

flashblock extension used to do it. It stops most videos playing and u just click on it to allow it to play.

13. Linkin

Linkin Member

Adblock with element hiding helper, or ublock origin. You can shitcan all autoplay vids if you select the correct element... remove the rule or turn blocking off if you want to watch the vid.

14. Scootre

Scootre Member

The SMH site was the reason I went hunting for such a solution. I foundFlash Control for Firefox. It works great and stops all flash videos auto playing. You can click to play videos or white-list a site - like YouTube for example.

15. paady

paady Member

The Flash control addon seems to be working for me. Thanks for that. I don't like my limited data being wasted on crap videos from news sites. I just want to read the news.