Stop supporting Nintendo - just stop OR, here buy this empty box.

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by power, May 19, 2017.

1. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

My cat LOVES boxes. :thumbup:

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I'm in this camp. I must have said it a thousand times on this forum. Your only voice is your money. The only way you can share your opinion with companies is by whether or not you pay money for their stuff.

With that said, I fundamentally disagree with this:

No, you have no "moral" right to Pirate Nintendo's games. Jim can get as upset as he likes, any company is allowed to protect their IP as aggressively as they like. That is the law. If people don't like it, fight to change the law. Even if Nintendo are complete arseholes, you have no "moral right" here.

And this isn't me talking as some rabid fanboy. Yeah, I like a whole bunch of Nintendo games, but it also pisses me off that Nintendo are so stupid about their own games. I've been a massive Metroid fan the majority of my gaming life, and it nearly brings me to tears to see Nintendo all but ignore the franchise while they sink money into utterly stupid side projects. Then on top of that when an awesome fan-made Metroid project is released to fill a huge void (AM2R), Nintendo come down on it like a tonne of bricks. A huge slap in the face for their fan base.

Still, that doesn't change a damned thing. Nobody has any "moral rights" here. This is entertainment, and this is commerce. Pay for what you like, don't pay for stupid shit. Only in this way to companies realise what is worth their time to fund, and what isn't.

And if you're really pissed off with what Nintendo do put their money into, then consider that they are doing ridiculously well as one of the only remaining "pure games" company of that era. Anyone else as old as them has ended up either bought out by gambling or smartphone groups, or broke. Indeed, in the console space all of Nintendo's major competitors are multi-market folk (Microsoft and Sony have dozens of other business areas outside of gaming). For Nintendo to do so well in a single market means people are buying their stuff. If you are angered by that, it's much more of a reflection on the people doing the buying than it is what Nintendo are making, as all they're doing is responding to the market.

And coming back to my point above - all you can do is choose to financially contribute or not to that market. We as gamers are our own worst enemy. We pre-order expensive shit that's rubbish, and we more frequently buy the good stuff only when it's on Steam's summer sale for single digit dollars. Then we spend all our time pissing and moaning that the market caters to folks who actually pay good money for stuff, while we're too busy cheaping out on our hobby.

3. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

If people do buy it, then there is clearly a market for it because people are willing to pay them money for it. If no one buys it, then what difference has this made to you or your life?

There you go. The product has at least a market of 1 person.

Amazing how emotional some of you are about a $5 box. Precious snowflakes. Just don't buy it.... I sure won't.

Problem solved /thread

I would actually consider paying a few bucks for mint condition old console boxes. Similar for some of their game boxes as all my old N64 games either have missing boxes, or totally wrecked ones. Would be nice to decorate a bookshelf in a game room with my old consoles and games.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  4. elvis

I consider this normal. Anything I bought in my youth is still in near-mint condition now. I'm stunned at the condition that most second hand stuff ends up in. It's like people use boxing gloves and hammers to take their games out of their cases and put them in their consoles.

Just adds to my overall opinion of gamers/humans, and how we're our own worst enemy.

5. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

I don't see the issue with this. I personally wouldn't buy it as I don't have a Nintendo Switch but I can definately see people wanting to buy this for collection purposes

The only time I'd be annoyed is if they released the empty box of this only and didn't make it so you can actually purchase the console bundle

6. mtma

mtma Member

"Oh, we were going to make this game, but this and that happened so we only have the box to release" :upset:

7. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

What's the deal with the box thou?
    I understand people wanting a old box for 2nd hand collectibles ect, but why would you want a box for a brand new product?? Why not just take care of the one that came with the product.

8. Boneman

Boneman Member

This box is for the Splatoon 2 Switch bundle which hasnt been released yet.

9. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Some Switch users may have bought their console prior to the bundle being available. The box, plus the game (which they'll buy anyway), plus the coloured joy-cons will give them the 'bundle' experience without having to sell their existing stuff to buy the bundle.

10. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Many of you are missing the point, people WANT to give Nintendo money for the great products they produce - Nintendo on the other hand just do really mental stuff that stop you from becoming a Nintendo customer - they actually make it harder than it needs to be to give them money. The people who are currently benefitting the most from Nintendo's batshit crazy business practices are scalpers.

Instead of knee jerking to Jim's videos some of you would benefit from actually watching them. I'd not seen them before they were posted here and they actually echo a lot of my feelings toward them as a company and the absolutely ludicrous way of doing business they have.

Oh and if it isn't obvious yet the box was a clickbait way of jumping off to a nintendo bash much the same way people have fallen hook line and sinker into Jim's clickbait it's ok to pirate Nintendo's shit video without actually watching it and launching into a massive wah wah over the title. It would be really fucking nice if Nintendo knew that there are potential customers out there that they chase away because they make it harder than it needs to be to give them money.

A box though, ugh. :thumbdn:

11. elvis

Guilty as charged, but to be frank, Jim craps on for 20 minutes to make a point that could be made in one paragraph of text. That gets really old really quick.

I'll attempt watch all 17 minutes of it now, but chances are I'll be interrupted every 5 minutes and miss most of it.

[edit] I lied. I skimmed.

* First 5 minutes: "Nintendo aggressively protect their IP". No shit. What company wouldn't?

* 7 minute mark: "Nintendo stop me putting Pokemon in my videos, which is an abuse of fair use". Fair point. But it smacks of "I want to make money shitting on Nintendo and they won't let me". I can see both sides here.

I stopped there (sorry, Jim's whining voice drives me up the wall). As I've said elsewhere on the Internet, Nintendo are one of the most old fashioned, and most a-typically Japanese corporates out there. This is no surprise to anyone. If what they're doing is illegal, than fight them legally.

As a counter, I offer this interview with a US lawyer nicknamed "The Video Game Attorney". Fast forward to 36m27s (or click on the link to be taken there):

https://youtu.be/L_LSvNQeloc?t=36m27s

He sums it up very well. It doesn't matter whether you like it or not, the law is the law. Nintendo are absolutely within their legal rights to aggressively protect their IP. And it's fine if you think that makes them a pack of arseholes. Nobody's denying that. But folks like Jim need to put your emotional arguments away for a moment and look at the cold, hard law as it stands today.

I buy dumb non-gaming shit from gaming companies all the time. I reckon I've sunk over $5K into stupid novelty crap from Capcom over the years that weren't video games. Why? Because I like the company, want them to succeed, and I'd Patreon the shit out of them if I could.

What's the difference between Patreon and buying an empty box?

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  12. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

and you are still missing the point. Not one person has mentioned that Nintendo's business model or ideologies are against the law so why are you bringing that up?

We are saying, in our opinion, they are acting anti consumerish or just "bat shit crazy" as power puts it, over and over again to the point where we believe it is actually hurting their sales as to protecting them.

Nintendo is well in it's rights to sell whatever the hell they like and clearly I am not in their key box selling demographic but we as consumers are also in our right to laugh our ass off or be shocked at said demographic.

13. elvis

Jim did in his video. At around the 6-7 minute mark he said that Nintendo are breaking the "fair use" clause of copyright law. That's specifically what I was commenting on, not anyone else in this thread.

I respect both this argument and conclusion, but let's put this in perspective: Nintendo is the one and only remaining dedicated console company in the world. Everyone else went broke (some several times over). And from the ashes rose a new group of console manufacturers who are giant multi-nationals, all of whom run their console sales AT A LOSS.

Nintendo have no fall back model. Nintendo can't sell "Nintendo OS" like Microsoft, or sound systems and TVs like Sony. Nintendo don't have a corporate business arm like Microsoft, nor a film and record label like Sony. Nintendo make games and gaming systems, and that's it.

Part of me agrees with you: Nintendo are being dickheads about a lot of things. (As an avid retro gamer, I have a lot of pent up rage against a company who refuses to sell me old games in a sensible way, tells me that emulation is the devil, and then sells a small emulation box at such short supply that people flip them on eBay for 5 times their value).

But part of me also acknowledges that Nintendo are literally doing what no other company on earth is doing as well as they are. Name for me one other company in Nintendo's shoes who are dedicated to console gaming that make as much money as they do. I can't think of any. As far as pure commercial merit goes, they're the best at what they do, and everyone else who competes with them needs to do all sorts of different things to make a dollar.

14. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Nintendo's abuse of the Content ID system - oh yeah no free pass on that bullshit either.

Glad you almost figured out what that video was about. Attacking Jim wasn't your best move - there are dozens and dozens of Youtube creators who've fallen foul to Nintendo's quite frankly ludicrous abuse of a system that was supposed to protect content creators and IP owners. But then in the other corner we have Viacom and Nintendo - Viacom go one worse and manage to strike their own shit.

One of the many facets of the nintendo bullshit wagon.

15. elvis

Heh. Outside of this issue all together, I find Jim to be a giant whinging bitch. I have absolutely no idea how he grew to any level of respect in the gaming community.

I mean, sure, plenty of companies in the industry act like pricks. Jim calls them out. Great. But so do a dozen other folk in a much less whiny, bitchy way.

No doubt. And it's not going away. Sooo... does everyone make a YouTube channel and cry about it? Or should they take more useful approaches to fix these problems.

Bitching is easy. Making change is hard. Sure, start a discussion. But Jim is a lot of hot air, even if he's right.

16. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Fuck me talk about attacking the messenger and not the message.

17. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Jim isn't the subject, and yes many youtubers have pointed out how bad nintendo is for them. He's one of many.

I do not subscribe to him or even like him - but the content is important. Forget it's Jim fucking Sterling and think about what he has to say - because it's 110% valid.

18. elvis

Let's pretend Jim doesn't exist for a moment.

What are people annoyed with Nintendo's practices doing about it? I mean, other than pissing and moaning?

I can think of exactly one person actually doing something (The Video Game Attorney, who I linked to earlier). Is there anyone else?

19. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I see now you are new to the dickishness of nintendo and youtube content creators. You would do well to research it. But it is an ongoing issue where Nintendo feels the need to monetise anything that has references to Nintendo.

Think about that for a second.

Then there's the continual shortage of Amibo.

People got so sick of that they essentially pirated them because Nintendo flatout didn't make enough of the bastards so ppl have to pay eBay scalpers.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/12/15630186/custom-amiibo-cards-zelda-ebay

20. elvis

Well aware of it, as there's a tonne of whining about it. I ask again: who's actually fighting it? (Whining is not fighting).

Arsehole move? Yes. Standard business practice? Also yes, if you step out of the microcosm of gaming for 10 seconds.

I snipped that there, because Nintendo are shithouse at meeting production quotas of anything. Even their flagship Switch console is in desperate under-supply right now.

I could make a bunch of assumptions about this. They'd fall into one of two categories - intended (drive demand up, keep prices high), or unintended (they're just shit at meeting production demand). But they're both assumptions, as nobody has any real evidence either way. Until evidence on that matter arises, I'll apply Hanlon's razor.

But with respect to the video/IP business, I think you need to understand that I'm not on Nintendo's side here. I too agree they're being arseholes. But the fact remains that they have the law on their side at this point, so I'm not going to piss and moan about it unless I'm prepared to do something to challenge it.

Nintendo are only hurting themselves here, of course. If you're on the front page of Twitch, that's free advertising. Nintendo are filled to the brim with executives who are all ancient fogeys stuck in the 1950s, so it's not surprising that they don't get how a grassroots "viral" community can *help* their sales. But none of that matters - if Nintendo want to be dickheads about protecting their IP to the Nth degree, they legally can. Neither this discussion, nor the thousands of whining bitches on YouTube, can do a damned thing to stop them.

I watched Jim's video at your request. Did you watch the Video Game Attorney interview I linked? Because that's a very clear and very rational counter to everything you're saying in this thread. Worth watching, if you care about this as much as you seem to.