Stopping Vista going into sleep while downloading...

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by ReP0, Mar 13, 2008.

1. ReP0

ReP0 New Member

Anyone have any ideas how to stop Vista going into sleep mode while Opera is downloading something? Seems my assumption about Opera taking care of it automatically didn't work out.

[Edit: hmm maybe the transfer timed out, might not be Opera's fault..Anyway if there is a trick setting to it let me know]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  2. Idryss

Idryss Member

Put media player onto play and mute it. Its what I do :)

3. Rezin

Rezin Member

Can't you specify x hours/minutes to 'put the computer to sleep' in Control Panel > Power Options > Edit Plan Settings, or were you looking for a way to automatically do it whenever Opera was running?

4. Idryss

Idryss Member

You could, but you'd have to change it every time. I think that vista thinks that any web browser, including their DL manager, isnt downloading even if it is (might think its just refreshing stuff automaticaly or something), but I have found vista wont goot sleep with uTorrent or similar. havent tried getright tho.

5. Rezin

Rezin Member

According to this page...

gpedit.msc > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Power Management > Sleep Settings > Turn on Applications to Prevent Sleep Transitions (Plugged In).

Does that help?

6. Idryss

Idryss Member

Nice find. Will try and see if that helps tomorrow night.

7. tin

tin Member

I'd have said that normally too... But I discovered last night while watching a movie that WMP wasn't preventing the screensaver (I'm using the supplied "Bubbles" screensaver) coming on. Setting was set correctly, and I even tried flipping it over and back. Still didn't prevent the screensaver.

I have a feeling it's due to multiple monitors doing something weird. WMP has never worked right with more than one monitor (like full screen draws a part of the border on the adjacent screen).

Now, of course it may still prevent sleep mode, but I'd be doing some testing now after I found that.

8. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

My vista stays on till the file has finished downloading, then since theres no network activity it shuts down. :)

9. tin

tin Member

Probably depends on the program in use. What are you using that prevents it?

10. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

uTorrent. I donno what settings i changed but basically i just set my torrent to not seed so when its downloaded my pc sleeps.

11. OP
    OP
    ReP0

ReP0 New Member

Or you could just go to the options->autoshutdown menu and choose your action once downloads complete in utorrent rather than relying on the OS to timeout.

To everyone:
    Thanks for all the suggestions. The media player one seems simplest as I always have an mp3 around which I can put into loop.

Like I said perhaps the download had an error in the first place and closed down followed by a sleep due to inactivity. Hard to tell which came first without being infront of the screen. Perhaps I don't need any of these. My sleep timeout is 15 minutes so next time I download a large file off the web I'll hang around and see what happens.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  12. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Ahhh, i found it.

Was turning off a setting and noticed.

Preferences > Downloads > Other Settings

"Prevent Standby if there are active torrents"

:)