1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Storage Spaces on pass thru disks in HyperV

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by wwwww, Apr 24, 2020.

1. wwwww

wwwww Member

I'm trying to figure out how to run a storage pool fully inside a VM om passthrough disks.

Essentially the issue is that when I pass through disks, then create the StoragePool inside the VM. Once the host machine next restarts, the StoragePool will be mounted on the host so the physical disks can't be passed through.

Any ideas on how to get around this?

2. fad

fad Member

Pass a HBA through and put the disks on that.

3. OP
    OP
    wwwww

wwwww Member

That might just do the trick. Is DDA stable enough to passthru HBA's yet?

4. NSanity

NSanity Member

if dda passes through a gpu, HBA is fine. :)

This is not a production solution.

5. OP
    OP
    wwwww

wwwww Member

Hmm, my SSD HBA isn't PCIe so DDA doesn't look like an option.

Any other ideas? Is there a way to just stop the host from trying to mount the disks in the first place?

6. NSanity

NSanity Member

what are you actually trying to achieve?

koopz likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    wwwww

wwwww Member

Running Storage Spaces inside a VM. I don't want to run it on the host machine as the host machine is a workstation and storage spaces causes intermittent freezing.

I tried Google to find a solution to the freezing but it's just people complaining about the problem:
    [​IMG]

JSmithDTV and looktall like this.
  8. NSanity

NSanity Member

No, this is what your trying to do to achieve something.

koopz likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    wwwww

wwwww Member

I want to have 40TB of fault-tolerant storage inside a VM that can sequentially write 5TB at an average speed of at least 300MB/s for about 5TB at a time with 12x 5TB SMR disks and 4x960GB SM953.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  10. person

person Member

Given your host machine is a workstation I'll suggest a clunky solution - what about creating fixed size VHDX's on each disk on the host then assigning them to the VM and creating storage spaces in the VM as usual? the overhead using fixed size VHDX's should be pretty low... Note that backups and snapshots could fail if you don't leave free space on the host disks but I assume you aren't using that given it's a workstation...

If you are using those SSD's as cache though i'm not sure that would work

11. NSanity

NSanity Member

running it inside a VM is probably a poor idea.

If you want a sequential write, just punch it to a NAS w/ raid 6 and 10Gbit eth.

12. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

With that many disks you could do RAID50 or similar for performance and present the storage directly using some sort of filer software?

13. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

with storage like that it should be a NAS not a workstation and probably add 10g interfaces to the host.

Id also probably duck away from storage spaces, and i do wonder if storage spaces and SMR is actually supported and that might be why itz freezing thr host

14. OP
    OP
    wwwww

wwwww Member

Yes, it's probably freezing the host when the write latency ramps up on the SMR disks, it's only periodic and not an issue for the application as long as the freezing is isolated away from the host. (It's just for hosting backups).

Unfortunately there are not many other options unless I change disks. NAS and hardware RAID don't work on these disks because the UBER is too poor which triggers rebuilds. Storage Spaces + REFS is tested to hold the data well other than the host freezing.

This works but is clunky. The SSDs lose their threaded write performance, I don't know how that will impact the overall performance given it's largely a sequential write application.

15. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

A NAS doesn't need hardware raid, its just Network Attached storage, it can be a totally independent host running windows and storage spaces if thats what you want to do and then just access them via NFS/CIFS/FTP/iSCSI whatever. Just needs the ports to support the drives.

It would also likely work with ZFS/BTFRS/lvm as they are all soft, and also likely to handle the write delays and not drop it like hardware raid does. I also thought that storage spaces with parity was trash? If you want RAID1 like protection your options are much easier.

16. OP
    OP
    wwwww

wwwww Member

Ah right, that could work. Any NAS recommendations or should I just ML350 it and put Windows 2019 on it?

They fixed it on Server 2019. As long as you have SSD or SCM write-back ache it works great.

17. NSanity

NSanity Member

tbh, this whole thing sounds like someone looking to fix a problem with the wrong solution.

Does this process actually contribute to revenue/profit?

18. NSanity

NSanity Member

Can this thread go to the pool room yet?

If you want a storage target for backups - tell us what your software is, RPO, RTO, source data, archive/ltr requirements, etc.

If you want a storage volume for app X - again, tell us what you're actually using and trying to do.

Out of the blue you've mentioned SMR - but apparently you have budget to have SSD's as well. This whole thing smells like people trying to make shit purchasing decisions fit the wrong problem.

coming to a thread asking people why a weird application of technology works with no context is a sure fire way to get a clear and concise answer.

in fitting with OCAU mythology, I suggest you put grout in their tires.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    cvidler and Dilbery like this.
  19. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Just pick a server that you like and shove whatever flavor of windows or linux that what works on it, and then access it via network.

Done.

While your at it can you also order 5x8TB or 10TB/12TB/16TB whatever (non SMR) and send them to my house so i can upgrade my home server. I only have 4TB in it and i need more space.

20. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

yeah.. is there a reason why this workstation can't be the NAS and have workloads running on a separate host (just like everyone else does)? Then you can dump freenas or some other nas software on it and be done with the whole issue with caring about what's going on under the hood.