Store build with free delivery vs self-build & dozens of components with courier fees?

Discussion in 'PC Build Logs' started by Crewcut, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Crewcut

Crewcut Member

Hi all,
    Coming from an Apple background into PC I've never done a home build. It kinda makes me nervous. But I'm wondering - do computer parts suppliers do free delivery? Because otherwise isn't freight on heaps of different parts going to add to the cost of a home build, chipping away at any savings you might make compared to just getting a shop with warranty to do it for you?

2. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

If you're new to PC building then it's probably better to discuss a build directly with a trustworthy builder (eg Scorptec, PCCG)

Crewcut likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Crewcut

Crewcut Member

4. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

You'd be better off with scorptec since PCCG doesn't have any presence in Sydney which could make warranty/service a problem in the future.

Crewcut likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Crewcut

Crewcut Member

Thanks Mack.

6. power

power Member

if dozens of redditors and Geralt can do it so can you.

pc building these days is pretty much Lego.

rireland and Crewcut like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Crewcut

Crewcut Member

Cheers. If I get someone else to do it - it's probably due to a sense of urgency with certain projects I want to get underway.

8. T1tan

T1tan Member

it's easier than you think - you can't plug in the wrong thing to the wrong thing anymore or short out a cpu with the wrong manual jumper - it's like those square goes in square, circle goes in circle things now.

You have a choice: go intel or amd. Then from there just set your price range and this forum can guide you through what you want. Building takes less than a day to the unintiated. Unless you drop something on the motherboard (and even then, maybe not) you won't be able to screw anything up. But you might just want a pre-packaged option, they're just as good.

Crewcut likes this.
  9. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Motherboard case headers can.