store pc in other room?

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by Luke212, May 8, 2017.

1. Luke212

Luke212 Member

Hi,

If I want to have my monitor, keyboard and mouse, headphones in one room and tower in another room, how do i do that cheaply, without having to use remote desktop (needs a second pc), or buying an expensive KVM device?

shouldnt there be a cheap $10 ebay item that takes usb, headphone and hdmi and sends both ways via wifi or something?

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  2. Coldplayer

Coldplayer Member

Best bet and cheapest is to just get a lengthy HDMI cable and USB cable (you'll probably need one with a repeater depending on how much distance you're covering) and a USB hub. You're dreaming thinking of HDMI via wifi for $10.

3. OP
    OP
    Luke212

Luke212 Member

dont want to run a cable around my house !

4. Martyn

Martyn Member

Look into getting a steam link?

5. OP
    OP
    Luke212

Luke212 Member

cool yeah that looks good. why is there only one device that does it currently? sometimes its $40 on special! pretty good.

6. Copie

Copie Member

Thunderbolt 3 port and cable with a TB3 port replica, you can push USB/DisplayPort/hdm etc all at once.

7. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

For what purpose?

For work, RDP via a Raspberry Pi or junk PC. Doesn't need anything in the way of guts, an original Raspberry Pi Model B would be plenty.

For games, a Steam Link (or hack your own with Moonlight on a RasPi or Steam In-Home Streaming to a slightly-less-junk PC)

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  8. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

cheaper and easier to make your computer silent with $1000 of cooling gear then to make IO wireless.

9. havabeer

havabeer Member

Learn to run them neatly through walls and roof then

10. mareke

mareke Member

You don't even have to spend $1000. My Cooler Master Silencio 550 case (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1210-page1.html) has 2 front 120 mm fans and one at the rear plus a 120 mm internal CPU cooling fan and the PSU has an 80 or 90 mm fan exhausting out the bottom of the case yet it's close to dead silent. The fans all turn slowly and the case has an insulated door covering the front and the case is made of thick steel. I've also located the case on a steel shelf with it sitting almost on the floor to one side of where I sit looking at the monitor. The case has something on both sides meaning that it's almost enclosed.

The funny thing is I bought another Cooler Master Silencio case which turned out to be a slightly different model to house an older Core 2 duo computer and this computer sounds noisy sitting on a shelf above my main computer. The noise comes from the speed of the CPU fan and a cheap PSU with a noisy fan. The extra noise the second computer makes really stands out when I have both computers running. My hearing is good and when I turn the noisy computer off I realise that my main computer is close to dead silent. Even when I put my ear next to the front of the case I can only hear an almost imperceptible sound of the fans whirring.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  11. power

power Member

need to know the usage case before recommending anything.

12. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

Standard copper TB3 (with full 40Gbps bandwidth) cables are limited to 2m... Be prepared to get your asshole ripped open if you want to shell out for the Optical TB3 cables. Even a TB2 optical cable @ 5m will cost you over $200.

13. HSV_Enigma

HSV_Enigma Member

I thought you would have invented your 1080p 90hz through wireless by now because

14. OP
    OP
    Luke212

Luke212 Member

to be frank i can build and program a device myself using just a rasberry. but why do i want to? i have no time as it is.

15. power

power Member

because you can't find anything suitable.

anyway, what is your use case?

16. cvidler

cvidler Member

.....because

HDMI requires bulk bandwidth.

HDMI1.0 - 5Gbps
    HDMI1.4 - 10Gbps
    HDMI2.0 - 18Gbps
    HDMI2.1 - 48Gbps

And so does USB

USB1 - 12Mbps
    USB2 - 400Mbps
    USB3 - 5Gbps
    USB3.1 - 10Gbps

There's no 'wifi' capable of all of that.

17. HSV_Enigma

HSV_Enigma Member

Sure you can, and yet you cannot figure a way to neatly run a couple of cables.

18. OP
    OP
    Luke212

Luke212 Member

noisy computer (water cooled). would rather put in another room and spend $50 or so if possible.

19. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Linus tech dicks did a whole video on this, go watch it.

You still haven't really shared a use case for this to allow us to help you properly.

20. Copie

Copie Member

Yeah his own personal pc at his house, moved to a rack setup in the next room and used TB3 port replicator to his and his wife's desk.

I thought it was a great idea, in typical Linus video fashion it lacked the technical detail but it was a great idea