Storing a HDD for 18mths

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by DionM, Feb 22, 2007.

1. DionM

DionM Member

Friend of mine is going overseas for 18mths. He has a huge amount of video files, mp3 files, personal docs etc on a 500GB drive that he wants to keep.

He asked me if it pulls the drive from the system, puts it in a box ... is there any guarantee it will work when he returns in 18mths time? Or will things seize up in that time?

2. Tony

Tony New Member

as long as it's kept dry you should be fine - you don't even need to keep it cool

why not just store the entire PC away?

3. juppy

juppy Member

I seem to remember reading about how magnetic dots can wander over time (reverse their polarity) on a HD that is not being used and needs to be regulary used in order to keep things in order. No idea how true this is though... but I think the info might have come from the spinrite website.

Edit: Seems the spinrite claims were disputed.... http://groups.google.com/group/comp.dcom.xdsl/msg/9aeee32323c2978e?dmode=source&hl=en

On a side note... I do know that there is something called magnetic creep.... which is used by forensic labs to recover data from thoroughly wiped drives.... basically I think it looks at the space between the tracks for a kind of residual magnetism from previous data stored on the track next to it. Clever stuff.... they can basically get data back that has been totally 0 wiped ... written over...etc. They are basically reading between the lines..... Especially if the data was previously there for a long period of time.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  4. OP
    OP
    DionM

DionM Member

He'll be selling / giving it away. In 18mths it'll be 18mths old and knowing this guy that's about 16mths too old for him to like it :cool:

5. MrRand0m

MrRand0m Member

A lot of dual layer DVDs????

6. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

I'd trust a HD sitting in a shoebox more than 50 DVD's
    It'll be fine

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

If it's such a big issue with no way of backup (DVD's, another hard drive etc etc) and you are worried about seizing, why not put it in your PC for the 18 months?

8. Rational

Rational Member

I have used PC's that have been stored for up to 24 months (ie. my old 486 running Windows 98) and they just run fine. Shouldn't be a problem at all if it is unplugged from power and away in a cool dry place without too much dust.

9. Tobes1990

Tobes1990 Member

I think you should get that one folding :thumbup:

10. Soandso

Soandso Member

Buy another 500Gb and mirror it. You make it sound like your friend can afford the extra $260 to do so.

11. sbobz

sbobz Member

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  12. bigteethygrin

bigteethygrin Member

i had a hdd in the cupboard for 2 yrs and it seized. I'm sure the magnetic platters were fine but the mechanics were stuffed.

13. hunter2k

hunter2k Member

Yeah but what kind of temperature and rel. humidity was present in the cupboard? If moisture were able to enter the motor or its electronics, no doubt it wouldn't help it.

14. lazyboy1984

lazyboy1984 Member

definatly buy another 500GB drive. mirror the original 500GB worth of data and store it. the chances of both failing is much lower and well worth it for peace of mind that he will still have his data 18 months down the track.

if he's bringing a laptop on the trip, buy a external HDD enclosure, mirror the original 500GB on another drive and take the copy along with him :thumbup:

15. Phat Devil

Phat Devil Member

...yet very slowly... :p

and why wouldnt you trust DVDs? I always thought that they could last ages, in excess of 10 years for the good quality ones.

16. fref99

fref99 Member

Hi,

I had a 100Gb harddisk in my celler for almost 2years (A PC that got moth balled by my company). The PC booted without any problems.

Just make sure the air is dry and the temperature remains fairly constant. You shouldn't have too many problems. To be really safe make a copy of the data onto a second disk.

If you have a fast enough internet connection/unlimited bandwidth why not just open up a gmail account and "mail" the data to account.

Regards
    FREF99

17. madkat

madkat Member

floppy disks!
    I tried a floppy disk today that had been dormant for like, 11-12 years and I recovered the data from it with no hassles

18. Ambush

Ambush Member

I wonder how it would go if it were sealed in an airtight bag and kept in the fridge...

19. V8R

V8R Member

that must have been a first.. floppy disk quality has gone to shit in the past 10yrs..
    personally, id mirror it to another drive, seal them both in bags, stick em in plastic drive carriers and store them in two sep. locations.... if its that important to him.

20. damage69

damage69 Member

Yeah I had 3.5 and 5.25 floppy disks that were stored for 10yrs that work fine, but had failure of brand name disks less than 12 months in a good enviroment. I never trust them any more.

Yeah I would agree with this post, if it is important to him buy another HDD just to be on carefull side, but normally a stored pc will fire up Ok after two years fine, and if there is problems it is normally not from the HDD, normally a mainboard battery (leaking) or capacitior failure.