Strange network speed issue

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by easterhat, Dec 12, 2011.

1. easterhat

easterhat Member

I have two PCs at home, one is my standard PC and the other runs a media front end and is connected to the TV. Both are running Win7 64-bit and have gigabit network cards on a gigabit ethernet network.

I've been trying to copy a movie from the media PC to my PC and have come across something a little weird. If I copy the file directly it transfers at around 7,000 kbytes/s. The peculiar thing is that when I start streaming a movie from that PC, the transfer speed jumps up to 90,000. As soon as I close the movie, straight back down to 7,000.

Copying to the media PC from my PC maxes out around 16,000 as well.

I also have a FreeNAS box and transfers to and from it seem to be fine (60,000 on a test just now).

Any thoughts on what I need to fix up?

2. Rezin

Rezin Member

Are the slow speeds just using Windows Explorer. Have you tried something else.. FTP, for example? What AV are you running (and is it scanning network transfers)?

3. OP
    OP
    easterhat

easterhat Member

I haven't tried FTP yet, and I'm copying both in Windows explorer and Total Commander. I've tried with AV disabled on my PC (NOD32) but no change.

4. OP
    OP
    easterhat

easterhat Member

Changing MTU (1492 to match the router - Billion 7800N) makes no difference. I had a file transfer this afternoon which was at full speed (90,000) for a short time but ended up slowing down to around 60k by the end. Since then, the same symptoms have occurred with all transfers.

Edit: Everyone else in the house is asleep now, which means that any wireless devices are now no longer connected to the router. The speed is solid... might be something to do with this?

Edit 2: It went back to slow speeds again, but it seemed to be linked to me watching youtube videos. If I am loading a video (ie downloading something) it's faster. As soon as the buffering is complete, speed drops.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011