1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

SOLVED Strange Windows startup problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Lem0n, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Lem0n

Lem0n Member

Currently having some weird problems loading windows in the following system:

A64 3000+ S939
    1Gb DDR400
    ASUS A8V-MX
    nVidia 6600 AGP
    Generic 400W PSU

Seagate 20Gb PATA
    Seagate 250Gb SATA

The system runs perfectly fine with the 20GB PATA drive, but it is too small and makes a lot of noise while running, so I wanted to install WinXP/7 on another drive.

With the 250Gb HDD, I was able to install and run windows, so long as the 20gb HDD was connected (power+data). I even pulled the power to the 20gb HDD while windows was running on the 250GB and it still ran fine.

The problem exists when it is just the 250GB HDD that is connected and the 20GB HDD disconnected. This is even after getting the 250GB running perfectly fine with windows installed.
    With just the 250Gb HDD connected, the computer will boot and get through the BIOS, but would just sit/hang as it tries to load Windows. As soon as I reconnect the 20GB HDD along side it, it will boot into Windows.

I have 24hr Memtested the RAM, 12hr primed the CPU, fiddled around with boot configurations to no avail.

I have some suspicion that it may be the SATA ports/southbridge being faulty causing this problem, but would appreciate all input.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. DarkForceMage

DarkForceMage Member

Can't remember my old 4000+ system's bios very well but it could be your Master/slave bios settings & the boot files going to the wrong drive.

Try a fresh install with just the 250gb set as primary in your bios.

There are two Parallel ATA connectors (so they occupy Primary and Secondary types of drives in the bios).

Sata ports are, Master = SATA1, Slave = SATA2, Master = SATA3, Slave = SATA4.

I would format the 20gb, make sure the 250gb is plugged into sata 1 or 3 when installing a fresh copy of your OS and leave the 20gb disconnected during windows install, before reconnecting it as a secondary pata(second port).

You also may need a floppy during install for the sata drivers,
    Your mobo uses the VIA8251 Southbridge -Find them here.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  3. jamesvdm

jamesvdm Member

What point does it hang?

Yep this will probably fix it.

4. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

5. OP
    OP
    Lem0n

Lem0n Member

Thanks for the help and advice guys. Worked a charm!