Strangely slow internet problems :(

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Pipster, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Pipster

Pipster Member

Hi,

So my problem is my internet is extremly bad at conecting to any website. I first throught it was TPG just being bad and have switched to Internode but am experencing the same issues. Called Internode, who gave me a dns to use, which fixed the problem a little, but hasnt solved it.

Just to recap, the problem is, when ever I try to access any website from any computer in the house it fails to conncet, and I get the standard "conection timed out" from firefox.

To try to fix it, i have switched modems, which has not helped.

The stranger thing still is speedtest still gives good down speeds:
    [​IMG]

If anyone can help, thanks in advance.

2. zacm

zacm (Taking a Break)

3. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

You haven't installed a firewall or something on your pc and blocking port 53 because it looked like it had bad traffic on it are you?

4. OP
    OP
    Pipster

Pipster Member

ok, with the dns lookup, im not quite sure if im doing it right, if not tell me ill do it again:

[​IMG]

and also, no firewalls on my computer apart from prehapse the windows one.

5. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

What sort of connection, wireless or Ethernet? Arguably the most critical question.

If wireless what sort of encryption?? Has it been openly hacked by a local source??

If wireless have a look at http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ and read until you know how to jump on "another channel".

What are ping test results like for a prolonged period??

When was the last time the router was "reset" (thus had the cache flushed)?

6. remin

remin Member

From one isp to another, and the prob still exists? Sounds like either internal wiring, modem, or a drop outs issue... ie physical (no its not dns...)
    Call internode support, it's actually quite good, state the above.
    Either that, or give us the sync rates and connection details.

7. caspian

caspian Member

boot the PC with a live CD and see if it still happens.

8. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

yeah your doing the nslookup wrong

for a start don't change the server to telstra.com.au i don't think that is actually a name server so it will fail.

I really hope that you haven't got telstra.com.au somewhere in your DNS list on your router or your PC? You should ONLY have the dns servers as provided by your ISP.

DNS resolvers from other providers may or may not work, i know some limit recursive lookups to only IP ranges provided by that ISP to limit load.

Also openDNS or google dns might be good if your in the states if your here in Australia all your doing is adding an extra ~200ms to the time it takes to do a DNS lookup

9. OP
    OP
    Pipster

Pipster Member

Well i have changed all the ethernet cables, the phone cables and the modem to no avail. I had come to the conclusion that it might be the splitter, but thats clutching at straws.

rather unfortunally, i dont have a live cd, but I will try

I was just messing around with nslookup, it was orginally doing it from the internode dns, with the same result. Will try open dns when the page loads.

Its a wired concection to all the computers, and the problem still exists when i disable the wireless, so i was assuming it wasnt that. Is pinging for a long period just ping in cmd?

Also, I reset the router all the time, yesterday infact in an effort to try to help.

10. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

What plan do you have, is it naked or do you have a phone line as well?

Have you undertaken "isolation" testing, specifically disconnecting "everything" and if you have a land line just plugging in the "phone" alone, any static/noise??

I had a "very prolonged" and drawn out saga with "Tel$tra" and Internode after the Brisbane floods, had Telstra reps out seven times in total all telling me different BS and implying it was all my gear, then phone would "disconnect" a couple of days later, etc. The only Node Rep that came out did isolate a problem ~137m from house, because I have a "phone line quality" Telstra can put it on the back burner, to this day the service has not been as good as it was pre-flood.

The "phone" only was the best indicator of line quality to house.

Woops almost forgot ping test to assess packet loss via the cmd window, run this for several minutes.

ping internode.net -t

Pings the specified host until stopped. To see statistics and continue - type Control-Break; To stop - press Ctrl + C.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  11. OP
    OP
    Pipster

Pipster Member

I have a node line, and yeah, I tried taking everything out but the modem. Didn't really make a difference, what stats did you want from the longer ping test? Posting from my phone, so will post when I get home. So from the sounds of it the line is stuffed? How would I go about fixing it? Call internode?

12. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

I'm not going to make any assumptions (make an ass of myself enough as it is), just look at the packet loss DATA etc when you stop the ping test it will give you 1-2 lines of DATA as the outcome.

Who owns the line, that really depends on how old it is, etc.....most likely Telstra wholesale who "on-sell" it to Internode. Node are pretty good at chasing Telstra if this the case (you want Node to handle it).

13. caspian

caspian Member

14. OP
    OP
    Pipster

Pipster Member

it was a 9% loss. Is that high?

I think ill ask internode to chase it up, but when i was with tpg they were using optus something, so im assuming optus own it. Anyways, its not that bigger concern as its a rented unit, so if it starts getting costly or starts looking that way i will just ditch.

The really weird thing is that it was working awesomely in the middle of the year and just gradually went to crap.

thanks for the replies, with try the live cd when i get home tonight

15. remin

remin Member

This just backs up my previous statement. What modem are you using, and what are the line stats from the modems GUI?

Also, try a trace route to the ISP's DNS server. Having a look here, its: 192.231.203.132
    http://www.internode.on.net/support/guides/general_settings/#dns

Then ping the first hop (it'll likely be the exchange) over around a 5min period. If it's not relatively quick, or goes all over the place, then you have a degraded line somewhere between you and the exchange. Preferably do this on an isolated line.

16. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Well 9% is 9% and needs to be mentioned in the future to the ISP......predominantly (99.99% of the time) I get 0% and that's with my current degraded line.

17. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

9% loss is insane, taking a guess when you did the ping test you didn't specify a packet size at all? so it did 32 byte packets? If that is the case your error rate is far higher since they are just small, bigger packets will have little to no hope most of the time.

Your on DSL you seam to be troubleshooting this to the nth degree when what you need to do is call the ISP.

Thing you should do,

1. Isolation test
    2. try a different modem
    3. and if you think it is your pc causing issues use a live cd or a different computer.

troubleshooting beyond those steps requires ISP assistance and requires them to action. But if you do those 3 things your first call will go very quickly and they should do a line test while on the phone and have a tech out to site sometime that week.

18. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Sorry to hijack, but these "live cds", are they just loading a OS off a bootable DVD so you can check to see whether its your OS causing the issue or?

19. Great_Guru

Great_Guru Member

Yes, it's a great troubleshooting tool in some situations.

20. caspian

caspian Member

yep, isolates all your potential OS based issues in one swoop.