Street Fighter 30th anniversary Collection

Discussion in 'Game Consoles' started by power, Dec 11, 2017.

1. power

power Member

2. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Not considering input methods but I would say the Switch version would be the best simply because you can have it with you on the go.

3. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

makes me wonder if most of these will be emulated or what we can expect.

4. neK

neK Member

This makes me feel old

5. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

the first one came out in the 80's so it's not that bad (I remember playing it too).

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Copy/pasta from my duplicate thread (because I'm crap and didn't search first):

The original "Street Fighter" was released in Japanese arcades in August 1987. Since then it's spawned dozens of sequels, updates and offshoots that defined an entire genre of gaming.

Capcom (with help from Digital Eclipse, who gave us the recent Mega Man Legacy Collection as well as the Disney Afternoon Collection) are releasing 12 Street Fighter games in a single package, called "Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection" for Sony Playstation 4, Microsoft XBox One, Nintendo Switch and PC/Windows/Steam, due May 2018.

Titles included:

* Street Fighter (1987)
    * Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (1991)
    * Street Fighter II': Champion Edition (1992)
    * Street Fighter II' Turbo: Hyper Fighting (1992)
    * Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (1993)
    * Super Street Fighter II Turbo (aka Super Street Fighter II X) (1994)
    * Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors' Dreams (1995)
    * Street Fighter Alpha 2 (1996)
    * Street Fighter Alpha 3 (1998)
    * Street Fighter III: The New Generation (1997)
    * Street Fighter III Second Impact: Giant Attack (1997)
    * Street Fighter III Third Strike: Fight for the Future (1999)

Of these titles, 4 will offer online play with both casual and ranked matches, as well as lobbies and leaderboards:

* Street Fighter II' Turbo: Hyper Fighting (1992)
    * Super Street Fighter II Turbo (aka Super Street Fighter II X) (1994)
    * Street Fighter Alpha 3 (1998)
    * Street Fighter III Third Strike: Fight for the Future (1999)

As with many Digital Eclipse assisted releases, there will be comprehensive artwork, concept art and other cool historical features around the game within hthe bundle.

More information on the Capcom Unity community website:
    http://www.capcom-unity.com/strumsl...he-street-fighter-30th-anniversary-collection

7. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

speaking of 30th's if you want to feel really old Double Dragon turns 30 next year!!

8. elvis

I don't need game releases to make me feel old. Just getting out of bed in the morning reminds me every day. :lol:

9. nav

nav Member

Same. I'm still angry about Sheng Long! :lol:

-nav.

elvis likes this.
  10. elvis

Super Street Fighter IV's "Gouken" is directly inspired by the EGM Sheng Long prank. Play him that way, and feel satisfied. :)

11. nimmers

nimmers Member

Hopefully these are all straight up arcade ROMs.

12. elvis

Digital Eclipse are behind this. These guys are absolute sticklers for accuracy (it's literally their mission statement).

Click the links in my post above (the Digital Eclipse website, and Frank Cifaldi's talk about emulation at GDC) to see who's behind this.

I have no doubt these guys will be emulating the right versions (including which version of the ROMs are accepted for competitive play, in the case of Third Strike), and emulating them well (including competent netplay with good quality rollback code).

nimmers likes this.
  13. Sledge

Sledge Member

Oh, i wonder what will be done for this?

14. elvis

Double Dragon was made by a Japanese company named Technos. In 2015, Arc System Works (best known for the Guilty Gear franchise) bought all Technos IP.

Earlier this year, they released Double Dragon IV, but it got pretty rubbish reviews.

Technos also made the Kunio games ("River City Ransom" here in the west), which Arc System Works also own. They're making a compilation of that to be released next year - https://forums.overclockers.com.au/...oko-kun-the-world-classics-collection.1230516

Nothing's been mentioned about a Double Dragon pack. That would be nice if they did one though. A compilation of all versions across all systems would be cool (as a comparison point for all the ports). Although Technos were pretty tiny, and had a lot of different publishers back in the day. So I don't know if that would be possible.

15. Sledge

Sledge Member

Ahh yeah i remember looking at that and thinking what a load of crap...
    Need a new one with up to date graphics like how SF graphics have improved..
    Love having a lot of these games already though..
    [​IMG]

16. elvis

I've got a Sega Versus City cabinet (head to head, two screens) with Third Strike CPS3 kit in it. Currently my only genuine arcade hardware (the rest is MAME). I love that setup, easily my favourite bit of hardware I own (it was a surprise gift from my amazing wife).

But I love the idea of a good online service. Not many friends of mine in my local area are competent Street Fighter players.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  17. Sledge

Sledge Member

Yeah that's probably the only advantage i can see with the new releases.. online play :)

18. elvis

Well, let's be fair, not everyone can fit an arcade machine in their house.

Re-releases of old software are a good thing. Good games don't stop being good because they're old, and there will always be new generations of players who missed out the first time around.

Consider that you can buy almost any old movie ever made for peanuts. Games should be no different. It's just digital data, and forcing people to resort to copyright infringement just to play good old games is silly. In 2017, it's not difficult to republish these things, and let people enjoy them for a reasonable price.

Sledge likes this.
  19. Sledge

Sledge Member

Then they're not real gamers ;)
    but yeah i do agree with you

20. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Cannot wait to play 3rd strike again online.

I remember a couple years ago I ran an emulator with an online client which was pretty good to play on. But this would definitely increase the playerbase.

For other SF fans out there who know abit about fight sticks: I've got a Qanba Q4RAF which isn't compatible with my PS4. Would it be best to sell and buy a new stick? Or Get a brooks converter?