Streets of Rage 4

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Aug 28, 2018.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    clonex likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    elvis

3. Grant

Grant Member

Notably by LizardCube, who smashed out the Wonder Boy 3 remake The Dragon's Trap.

Dis gon be gud...

elvis likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    elvis

I'm interested to see how they handle the SoR2/SoR3 split. There's rarely a fan of either who likes both (I'm a SoR2 man, myself).

The hitstun in particular is a huge defining factor. Fan games like the amazing "Streets of Rage Remake" let you choose which "engine" you prefer. The 0.3 seconds of footage in the reveal trailer above shows SoR3 style hitstun, which I'm hoping is either changed a little, or at least we have the choice like in SoRR.

5. darkmenace

darkmenace Member

Im ready to part with some cash right now!

Sanity_Smith and elvis like this.
  6. Sledge

Sledge Member

I'd actually like one that has 3D fighters rather than sticking with 2D again..

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

Historically, nobody has pulled off a good "2.5D"/3D "belt scrolling" (as the Japanese call it) fighting game.

The best effort was Wayforward's "Double Dragon Neon". Wayforward are an excellent company, and almost everything they produce is gold (considering how much of their stuff is often licensed IP, which often ends up being crap, they still put their hearts and souls into it). Sadly even their excellent team couldn't make it work in 3D:

I think if someone did go 3D, they'd need to mimic what Arc System Works do with their 3D engine fighters (Guilty Gear Xrd, Dragonball FighterZ, etc) and make them act like 2D engines, complete with frame cancelling and the like.

Guard Crush Games are co-developing SoR4, and while their previous titles look exceptionally budget, you can see immediately the difference in hit stun, frame cancelling, and other vitally important components of fighting games and brawlers using a sprite-based 2D engine that make them "feel" right, unlike Double Dragon Neon, which just does not work with a fluid 3D engine:

The same can be seen over and over. Look at Konami's arcade TMNT game, and recent efforts to re-make that in 3D. Every time, the 3D engines just end up feeling wrong due to their poor execution of hit stun and frame cancelling.

8. Sledge

Sledge Member

By 3D i'm talking SF4 type of 3D modeling rather than the 'simple' 2D cell shaded look that is shown

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  9. OP
    OP
    elvis

Yes, see my comments about Arc System Works fighters, "Guilty Gear Xrd" and "Dragon Ball FighterZ". Street Fighter IV and V are decent examples too.

The problem with this method is cost. Making a 3D engine act like a 2D fighting engine is more complex than most realise. 3D engines are designed for fluid animation - the opposite of what fighting games need, as they require breaking the rules of 3D - stopping animation mid way, jumping to new animation key frames without fluid interpolation and "inverse kinematics" native to almost every 3D engine on the planet. And again, look at Double Dragon Neon as an example of a poor fighting game made by a good company who didn't have the resources and budget that someone like Arc or Capcom have.

3D engines excel where animation is key - first person shooters, RPGs, third person action, etc. But they are problematic for games that use side-scrolling mechanics of yesteryear, because they're the wrong tool for that job, and need to be modified heavily to work in a way that makes them feel right.

LizardCube, Guard Crush Games and DotEmu are good, passionate people. They love retro games, and their efforts on previous titles have been excellent. But IMHO they don't have the resources/budget to make a fighting game with a 3D engine that looks, feels and plays the way it should.

Sledge likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    elvis

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

New images out today.

[​IMG]

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  13. darkmenace

darkmenace Member

elvis likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    elvis

New teaser:

15. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

that looks cool af, i loved this game as a kid
    hope they make a maximum carnage that looks as good as the above pics :D

16. power

power Member

hope they also nail the soundtrack. I have faith in Dotemu, they do good work.

17. OP
    OP
    elvis

From what I can tell, Yuzo Koshiro is working on it in some capacity. Dunno if he's making tunes or just overseeing it.

The hit-stun animation in that new video appears more SOR3 like (I prefer SOR2). I hope the music is NOT SOR3 like, as that was terrible.

18. OP
    OP
    elvis

Given current licensing, that'll have to wait until Sony make a Spiderman/Venom/Carnage film, and then ultimately a PS4 game. :(

Either way, I'd love for Green Jelly to do the music again. :)

19. darkmenace

darkmenace Member

Hope they come out with a release date before too long!

20. OP
    OP
    elvis

Previously unofficially hinted at by Koshiro himself, but here's the official news.

From the video description:

"Dotemu, Lizardcube and Guard Crush Games are thrilled to reveal that Yūzō Koshiro and Motohiro Kawashima, the original Streets of Rage series’ incomparable composers, will be joined by an all-star ensemble in contributing brand new tracks for the Streets of Rage 4 soundtrack."

power likes this.