1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Streets of Rage 4

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Aug 28, 2018.

1. power

power Member

stay calm and listen to this

elvis likes this.
  2. darkmenace

darkmenace Member

I still play SOR 1-3 several times a year. Are there any other good SOR/Final Fight style game franchises I should look at, old or new?

okclock123 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Indeed there are. The "belt scrolling brawler" franchise is well looked after by an enthusiastic community.

Here's a handful of recommendations:

1) "Streets of Rage Remake" for PC.

Taken offline a while back, but you can get it on torrent sites and the like. A custom engine with artwork from the MegaDrive titles, as well as community sprite art. The engine lets you mix and match various "physics" of the different games to your liking. It has branching paths as well, and loads of characters.

2) "Streets of Fury EX" for PC - https://store.steampowered.com/app/350910/Streets_of_Fury_EX/

Don't let the graphics fool you, this is a very deep fighting engine. Made by a company called "Guard Crush", these are the people doing the main game engine for SoR4. Streets of Fury features you'd find in advanced 1-on-1 fighting games into a brawler, and the results are pretty impressive. I consider this somewhat of a tech demo, more than a full game.

3) Final Fight LNS Ultimate: https://fflnsultimate.firebaseapp.com/home

Another custom/homebrew engine, loosely based on Final Fight, but featuring a huge array of characters from various fighting game franchises. A fun engine too.

4) Ultimate Double Dragon

Based on "Super Double Dragon" on SNES, which was an amazing idea but sadly failed in execution. The SNES game featured brilliant ideas, weapons, a huge move set and great stages, but just sucked for slowdown and some other flaws. This engine takes the best bits and goes nuts with them. Early days, but it's going to be great.

5) TMNT Rescue-palooza: https://www.merso-x.com/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-rescue

Great mashup of different TMNT games across arcade and console.

6) Fight 'n' Rage: https://store.steampowered.com/app/674520/FightN_Rage/

Indie brawler on PC and console. Not perfect, but still loads of fun.

7) Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle: https://store.steampowered.com/app/885150/Capcom_Beat_Em_Up_Bundle/

Out on console and PC, includes some cool Capcom fighters like "Battle Circuit" and "Warriors of Fate" which are great fun. Not in the pack is the excellent "Punisher", which you can play via MAME.

8) Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara: https://store.steampowered.com/app/229480/Dungeons__Dragons_Chronicles_of_Mystara/
    Conveniently on Steam. Arcade versions of the two games ("D&D: Tower of Doom" and "D&D: Shadow Over Mystara"_ can be played easily on MAME.

And not released yet, but I'm also keeping an eye on Fallen City Brawl:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    okclock123 and darkmenace like this.
  4. darkmenace

darkmenace Member

Thanks for those recommendations Elvis. I did enjoy fight n rage for a while several months ago, but having to start back a long way when you lost a life ended it for me.

elvis likes this.
  5. Sir Didymus

Sir Didymus Member

Mother Russia Bleeds - ultra violent pixel brawler

On MAME, Undercover Cops and Violent Storm are two of my favorite lesser known brawlers.
    Both have gorgeous art and get batshit crazy.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    darkmenace, okclock123 and elvis like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    elvis

* 5th character revealed: Floyd Iraia (tank character - like a crossup between SOR2 Max and SOR3 Zan)
    * 4 player simultaneous announced, online and local

7. Sir Didymus

Sir Didymus Member

Can this just come out already. On a side note, I recently had a look at The Takeover and while I'm not a huge fan of the art style the combat feels great.
    It also has music from some Japanese guy, Yuzo something or other.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/418620/The_TakeOver/

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

Yuzo Koshiro. President and founder of "Ancient". Lead composer of Streets of Rage 1-4, Revenge of Shinobi, Act Raiser, and countless other games. Father to my unborn children. (Maybe the last one was just a private fantasy).

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  9. Sir Didymus

Sir Didymus Member

I was in fact being facetious but I like the enthusiasm.

elvis likes this.
  10. darkmenace

darkmenace Member

I cant sit & wait anymore. Im going to get myself cryogenically frozen tonight until this comes out. Hopefully they dont forget to defrost me like Cartman in the Nintendo Wii? episode of south park.

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

Can't be long now. I reckon we'll see this mid to late March (no source on that, just me spitballing).

12. darkmenace

darkmenace Member

That would be a very short advanced notice period. I hope you’re right Elvis. I love the idea of online and up to 4 players...

13. OP
    OP
    elvis

Spoilerific gameplay videos making the rounds. Avoid them if you want to keep the mystery going.

darkmenace likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    elvis

15. Jumpingmanjim

Jumpingmanjim Member

If you want some Streets of Rage action, head to your nearest supermarket.

darkmenace likes this.
  16. power

power Member

only if i can get a fresh chook out of the bin.

17. darkmenace

darkmenace Member

This game needs to come out now. I’ll be “working” from home a lot more from later this week and this is the sort of entertainment ill be looking for.

18. dragokahn

dragokahn Member

So Limited Run makes a physical copy of the game for the Switch and ends the pre-order 1 week after the game is released digitally. Then they ship the game 2-4 months later. So am i right in thinking if you order the game from Limited Run you wont have a usable version of SR4 for upto 5 months after its been released? or do you get a code or something for the digital download? I'd much prefer to get a physical copy and don't mind paying a little more a waiting a little longer for it to ship but 5 months is a bit excessive and I don't want to buy it twice which is what I get the feeling the hardware copy is aimed at.

Limited Run - Streets of Rage 4

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  19. nimmers

nimmers Member

Once you get into the Capcom ones, the Sega ones feel slow and bad. My personal Favorites are Final Fight, The Punisher and Alien v Predator.

20. OP
    OP
    elvis

I'm going to annoy a lot of folks by saying this, but I think both SoR1 and SoR2 dump all over Final Fight.

Game speed is about the same, but the move set and mechanics complexity alone make SoR far superior. SoR1 offers more advanced 2P mechanics (co-operation with a second player to do team-up moves are brilliant), and SoR2 offers far better special moves and a wide array of combos you can do with forward, backward and special moves.

Now playing fair - SoR came out well after Final Fight. You would *expect* them to be improved given the amount of time that passed and the lessons learned. But I know a lot of folks who hold on hard to Final Fight even now as a great game, and as much as it set the bar for things that came after it with huge historical importance, for me it's flat out just not as fun as either SoR1 or SoR2.

Punisher and AVP of course trump SoR1/2, and again that's expected. The time passed and the hardware upgrade demands it.

And with all of that said - SoR3 is trash. That's the crying shame for me of that series. They could have gone gangbusters, but they screwed it.

As I understand it LR are doing an open pre-order - i.e.: they take pre-orders for a fixed amount of time, and then close pre-orders. They get physical copies printed to match their pre-orders 1:1, and then ship them to co-incide with the digital release.

I'm getting all this second hand, but I think that's how it works. It's a fairer system than waiting for a guesstimate amount of stock to run out, and it means that there's no disadvantage to people who want a physical copy.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020