Stripped case screw holes

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Bion1c, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

I've had my trusty TJ07 case for quite a few years.. and despite the dust, it's still going strong and i'd like to keep using it.

something that's become a major problem though is that almost all the screw holes to secure the expansion cards have been stripped. So a standard computer screw (6-32 i think) can just slide in and out.

I need those screws to be tight cos I have a lot of crap in there like a SCSI card (don't ask) that needs quite a bit of force to attach the cable. Can't have the card moving around in there..

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Like could you get slightly bigger screws and just screw them straight in? or would have have to put a new thread on it somehow?

really CBF putting all my WC gear in a new case.. need to find a solution :D

2. 3stars

3stars Member

just re thread them a size up using a tap
    where in melbourne are you i can help im in mornington

3. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Alternatively you can try using nuts/bolts instead. Bit more painful to use, but you should only really need to do it once in a while, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

4. OP
    OP
    Bion1c

Bion1c Member

thanks mate.. im in macleod so a bit of a drive from your area! i'm a real n00b with this stuff- could you give a few suggestions of which tool i could use / where to find it.. and what type of screw might be a good replacement?

hm not a bad idea. not ideal but could be a backup plan.. any ideas on what size bolts?

5. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Not too sure. Depends on how big that hole is I guess. But should be relatively easy to gauge from looking at some at bunnings I think. Get the packs with bolts, nuts and washers pack.

6. Captain Kermit

Captain Kermit Member

According to google the standard computer case thread is 6-32. You could try using nutserts which would allow you to continue using your existing screws.

Check this video out which shows how they work, and how to make a homemade installation tool. Keep in mind, the nutserts you would use in your case would be much smaller than the ones in this video and would require a lot less force to install. I think you'd get away with hand tools no problem, as long as you could get a reasonable amount of leverage.

Can get a 50 pack of appropriately sized rivnuts for $13.00 on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rivet-nu...ts-/231440930618?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

7. 3stars

3stars Member

if you don't care that much about the case one size up self tappers would do the trick

8. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

If you looking for nuts and bolts 6/32 is MK3.5 in metric

9. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I've always thought pretty much everything in a computer is either M3 or M4. That's all I use anyway. Small screws (mobo screws, 5.25" device screws, sometimes expansion slot screws etc) or large ones (case screws).

When I find something with a small screw is stripped, like say an optical drive, I just screw the larger screw in instead. I've basically thought I'm replacing an M3 ( Metric 3mm ) screw with an M4 ( Metric 4mm ). Most hardware you buy comes with little bags containing M3 and M4 screws, often labelled as such, including cases.

If the M3 is stripped, its probably more like 3.5 now, so an M4 will screw in with a reasonable but not excessive force and create its own thread along the way. The taper at the tip of most case screws is sufficient to get a bite and screw in.

If yours are M4 to begin with, then you might need to get creative. You could try and get some M5 screws, but once you start getting that thick then good luck finding something shorter than 16mm on the shelves. Something I've done before is to get a normal M5 self tapping screw, and screw it into the M4 hole. I've then unscrewed it, stuck it in a vice and sliced all but 5mm off the end, to remove the sharp self tapping bit and effectively making it a short bolt.. which screws easily and tightly into the hole you made with it.. the nut..

Basically it doesn't matter what size you use, metric or imperial. Just so long as the screw you choose is slightly larger than the hole, it will be fine. Metric threads are finer than most imperial threads, and a fine thread is important in the reasonably thin steel or aluminium of a case, so I'd lean that way personally.

10. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

There is a super easy way to fix this in most cases.

Firstly - take a look at the holes - you will probably find that they are punched rather than drilled. Drilled is flat both sides of the metal. Punched is flush one side but has a kind of splayed out burst section (definitely not flat) on the rear side of the metal.

You can fix the punched holes... simply use a pair of pliers and slowly and gently squeeze the thing back again, so it is narrower.

Now the poor-man's tapping tool, to repair the threads.... you need to look through all your #6/32 screws and find one that has a "trilobular" thread forming end on it.

Click to view full size!

Very gently run this into the partially squished repaired hole, and it will make it all perfect again.

Remember, the metalk will not be as hard as it used to be, so don't tighten the screws too tight.

11. OP
    OP
    Bion1c

Bion1c Member

thanks a lot guys, some really good info in here :thumbup: i'll have a go at it on the weekend

12. Kennui

Kennui Member

What method will you be using?

Imo M3 screw + nut would be easiest. You can find these very cheap on ebay. Perhaps a square nut would be more ideal.