Strongest retrobright in Sydney? (Hydrogen Peroxide solution)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by KoroKoro, Sep 28, 2018.

1. KoroKoro

KoroKoro Member

Not sure if this forum is any good for this - but I need to find a decent retrobright solution (not a paste as it causes streaks + marbling).

I have so far tried sodium percarbonate (Vanish Oxi Action) as recommended in the link below but unfortunately it sucks. Its worked about 75% over 2 days in the spring sun and mixed 3 batches. I've almost used 1kg of the stuff and its not cheap, or reusable. Link: http://members.iinet.net.au/~davem2/overclock/Retrobrite.html

So I think a highly concentrated solution (liquid) of hydrogen peroxide would work better. Though looking through priceline... I have no idea about what the consistency is like or its concentration. I've asked my local chemical supplier but its not something they carry.

So what would you guys recommend in 2018?

2. power

power Member

don't go overboard!

I bought an STE off the forums here got it cheap because the guy i got it from previous owner had used too strong a solution and basically melted the plastics.

KoroKoro likes this.
  3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Exactly the reason I've never bothered with RetroBrite. People get all angsty about a bit of yellow on their console. I'd rather that than plastics that crumble in your hands.

Heck, I've picked up some very cheap, but fully working consoles because they were "ugly" - some scratched plastic, or yellowing. I'll open them up, clean them up inside, and leave the outside as is. The electronics and games matter, the case is just a case.

4. Jumpingmanjim

Jumpingmanjim Member

If you want the strongest version of a substance in Sydney you should probably try King's Cross.

Flamin Joe and nimmers like this.
  5. Thalyn

Thalyn Member

FWIW, Aldi sell an "Oxy" cleaner at $3/kg under the name of Di-San Oxy in a purple container. I believe it's 35% Sodium Percarbonate. Worst case, that may at least be a cheaper option.

That having been said, it seems like you might be able to find liquid peroxide - perhaps even at a higher concentration than 40 vol (12%) - at pool or spa supply shops. At least, that seems to be the most common use I've been able to identify for liquid stuff. There also seems to be some kind of market for "food grade" liquid peroxide.

Sodium Percarbonate also looks to be used in brewing (for cleaning kegs, etc), so purchasing it pure instead of in laundry powder may also be an option from the appropriate suppliers.