Struggling to find a case for a home server/NAS

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by DerekP, Apr 23, 2019.

1. DerekP

DerekP Member

Hiya,

I've been looking for a while now but i'm not having much luck. I have a fairly constrained area to work with, and i'm looking for a case that can house 6 HDDs. The Fractal Node 804 is awesome, but it's too 'fat' to fit in my spot - i need a traditional shape - i.e. tower. But not too large.

Rough max (give or take) 45cm long/deep x 30cm wide. Height can be pretty much whatever, but i'd rather it weren't. Those measurements take into account access to cables front USB slots and such.

My preference at the moment is to use a mATX motherboard as they have a bit more flexibility than mini-ITX (e.g. 6 v 4 SATA ports, 2 v 1 PCIe slots for VMs).

It would also be nice if it was fairly quiet - so things like rubber HDDs mounts and such are appreciated.

Any suggestions? Thanks :)

2. darknebula

darknebula Member

3. OP
    OP
    DerekP

DerekP Member

4. gea

gea Member

5. OP
    OP
    DerekP

DerekP Member

Thanks, i hadn't seen that one. Initially it looked very promising, but the limited information i can find about it isn't great. People buy them, and instantly start hacking them with new holes, and covering old holes. They're apparently fairly noisy, with no sound deadening or rubber mounts or anything of the sort. Poor ventilation and dust filtering was mentioned. This box will be in my room, so quieter is better.

I do appreciate the suggestions people have come up with. I'll keep hunting!

6. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Lian Li PC-M25 would be great if you can find one. I use the ITX version Q25 and it's great.

7. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I've got an Asrock A300W arriving soon. Only space for two 2.5" drives though.

8. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Go old school, shock mounts don't really reduce drive noise that much once you screw everything together and the weight of the drives dampen it all.

This is a CM N400, there's also a Silencio version of it.

Edit: never mind, it's 50cm deep.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2019