Studio Newborn Shoot

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by methd, Jan 11, 2012.

1. methd

methd Member

So things have started going well for the studio and I did our first newborn shoot today.

This is the set we will present the client and I hope that in the future, I'll have more than 35-40 shots, so that there's a larger base to sell from.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you guys like it. Apologies for the watermark, I hope it's not in the way. Some "burning" spilled over in the subject... I know.. but I'll fix that tomorrow.

For those interested; a newborn shoot is $150 and includes an A4 framed print. Anything you like is extra but reasonably priced. Yes, I'm an OCAU sponsor :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  2. kwax

kwax Member

pretty dam cute. i dont like the logo..would prefer without the squares but i doubt you are delivering to ur clients with it anyway so i guess thats why you mentioned it in ur post . writing as im thinking :p

most are good and spot on.. 2..id like the focus to be on the head area.

at first glance i thought it was nice colours and tone..now im thinking spartan 300 for some reason..and now im thinking kinda like smoke,cigars...its a tricky one.

so $150 for 35-40 + a a4 print. thats cheap man!! I would have thought more.

pretty good for first time i see some cool and bigger things happening for sure for you guys =]

as always..thanks for sharing :D

edit: Do you mind sharing your overall experience? How long was the shoot, did the baby sleep most the time was it tricky making it look at the camera and so on? how many shots did you take all up and then cut out etc..

3. reunig

reunig Member

Too bad my newborn is now 9 months old otherwise I would have booked you for $150. That sounds cheap but as you are starting out, I guess that is a good price.

Nice shots, I don't know how you got the baby to pose so well, but well done.

4. Statitica

Statitica Member

Full tummies and a comfortably warm room usually works a treat.

If that were my kid, there would be a few shots there that I'd pick - 1, 10, 14, & 18

Not sure of the inclusion of 19; I see my kids screaming enough to not need a photo of it ;)

5. OP
    OP
    methd

methd Member

It wasn't easy but I've had my own baby to practice on and she's 19 months now, so I know exactly what it's like to get decent shots. I think someone who hasn't experienced all the baby related stuff will find it very difficult.

Each shot takes about 20 shots to try and get her in an appropriate frame and facial expression. In between crying and letting mum comfort her, we set her up to fire away a few shots at a time and then give the dummy back to ease her. The whole shoot took about an hr or a little over.

During the shoot, she pee'd and poo'd on my blanket/wrap which wasn't unexpected so we had to deal with that. I've actually got a good idea now, and that is we'll provide a new wrap for every shoot we do. The parents will be assured it's new (we'll open it in front of them) and it'll be clean as well. They're cheap if bought in bulk so it's not really a concern.

I'm looking for more props though, as I think that's an area that can improve.

6. xishnik

xishnik Member

these are amazing pictures!

7. outbackozzie

outbackozzie Member

Very nice shots :thumbup:

8. csimpson

csimpson Member

Only thing that annoys me is that I feel like the baby's head should have been held a little higher in #10. And that the toning is a little too sepia, but maybe that's my monitor.

9. MATTATHOME

MATTATHOME Member

Very Nice..

I have a newborn shoot for a friend in a few weeks time...So great inspriation for me..

I got to go get some props..

Love 1,2 and 15.. Thanks fo rsharing

MATT

10. bendyclickr

bendyclickr Member

Great work on all of them. At $150 I would have been there in a heart beat, too cheap IMO.

11. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

And the upside is they all become tax deductions. :)

12. dandanmien

dandanmien (Banned or Deleted)

Nice.

My only comment is .. I would prefer traditional black & white.

Me like #6.

13. kingbob86

kingbob86 Member

I like the sepia toning, makes it feel a little warmer than a black and white would in my opinion. Great photos.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  14. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

I was smiling the whole time looking at those. Good job mate.
    My only comment is in #18. Need to lose the watch. It caught my eye almost straight away.

15. broccoli

broccoli Member

At least you recognized it. I thought somebody was sticking an awl into his armpit (yes, I'm dim-witted) and had to look at it to figure out that it was an arm and not a wooden handle...

Nice photos. I'd be happy with those if I was that cute little baby's family.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Great shots, then he woke up! :lol:

No, very nice all round : )

17. OP
    OP
    methd

methd Member

yep i guess it's preference but after looking at both side by side, i think as kingbob mentioned, the warmth of sepia is a lot better for the feel of the shot.

yep the watch sucks and didn't notice until i started editing. how noob of me !!

hrm i think it's ur monitor. i intentionally made the sepia toning more flat and less red as i didn't want that typical old-sepia feel. i just wanted the toning that comes with it.

18. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

Flower pots, pumkins, watering cans, oversized gardening implements. ;)

19. OP
    OP
    methd

methd Member

ahah without going corny :D im actually looking for something like this...

[​IMG]

im on the facebook page of the person who makes it but she doesnt make it commercially, meaning only one comes out every month with 1 million ppl wanting to buy it. perhaps i should take up knitting?!!

20. broccoli

broccoli Member

I can knit.....