Studying Graphic Design / New monitor or equipment?

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by asho444, Feb 12, 2019.

1. asho444

asho444 Member

Morning,

My wife is going to study a cert IV in design focusing around graphic design and i just want to make sure she is set up for the best experience possible regarding system and monitor. Can anyone provide some advice on if i might need to upgrade or changes to make.

She currently has an i7 2600, 8GB RAM and a GTX970, i believe this should be adequate for illustrator and the such.

My main thought was regarding the monitor, She currently has an older 23" 1080P TN AOC Monitor which was decent when i bought it ages ago but i feel if she is doing design she would be better off looking into an IPS Panel.

Funds are pretty tight and have been looking at the
    https://www.umart.com.au/ViewSonic-VX3276-2K-32--WQHD-IPS-frameless_43818G.html

would that be decent enough to start studying and attempting to build a portfolio after completing?

Thanks in advance for any advice you have.

2. argent

argent Member

Aim to get at least a 16:10 aspect ratio monitor (second hand if a good one crops up) at 1920x1200. I find working on 16:9 monitors a little annoying (might be OCD) when dealing with Indesign/PS/Illustrator. Push RAM out to 16Gb if possible - 8Gb is just adequate whereas 16gb will help immensely. The Viewsonic you linked isn't bad - just the 16:9 can make dealing with web dev a bit annoying.

3. Varg

Varg Member

I studied interactive/digital media diploma a few years back and the one thing that made a big difference is making sure my monitor was IPS with a decent aspect ratio. Screen real estate and accuracy to the colour values is important, especially if it is for print media.

4. OP
    OP
    asho444

asho444 Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I should update this, I ended up getting a BenQ pd2500q monitor for $420 New
    BenQ PD2500Q 25" 2K Designer... https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0737M9QP7?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
    Only 16:10 monitors close to this were already 6 or more years old.

I figured it would be worth spring the extra for a calibrated monitor now then have to buy another in a year or so time when she wants to start doing it for money.

Also manged to trade and sell my way to. I7 3770 and 16gb ram but still struggled as my wife isn't the best at closing programs.

Friend upgraded to new amd series recently and gifted us his 1600 so I managed to get a b450m steel legend, 16gb 3000mhz, Samsung evo 970 500gb and a 1060 6gb.

Boy howdy did that make everything snappier and thanks to some good bargains was only out of pocket about $100.

and recently was able to pick up the huion kamvas pro 13 for $400 from Amazon and its really improved her drawing over just one of the cheap pads.

I also just picked up an inwin 301 case and some argb fans to make it colourful for her ha ha

argent and Varg like this.
  5. argent

argent Member

Yeah it's hard to get 16:10 monitors these days unless you are going for the professional grade ones... Might get lucky at auctions though so keep an eye out for your local city auctions or even Graysonline.

6. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

get 2 displays.

7. Varg

Varg Member

Don't waste the money on a second display for graphics. A single solid display for the work is perfect.

8. OP
    OP
    asho444

asho444 Member

The kamvas pro actually works well as a second display.

9. Varg

Varg Member

Not speaking to the device being used to draw and its integrity as a second display; speaking to obtaining a second display for the purpose of design.

10. Phido

Phido Member

You will find for what shes doing any basic monitor is probably ok.
    But yeh, wife and I love 1440p or larger, IPS is nice as it tends to be better. 1440 is nice as you can do 1080 work and have all your tool bars etc.
    IMO 16:10 is too hard to wrangle and honestly your money will go further at the lower end of the market (ie not $10k pro gear) with other aspect ratios.

Two displays may make more sense with video work, if they are doing any of that. Sometimes 3D work too. Total useless for 2D regular illustrator design work IMO but can be useful in other productivity stuff like web design etc.

11. OP
    OP
    asho444

asho444 Member

for the use case i wasn't even considering 1080 especially non IPS.

Wife also doesn't like using 2 screens or an overly large screen (not a fan of my 32"1440p), feels over whelming for her and she puts up with enough of me telling her how she should IT i felt it wasn't the argument for today.
    ( i run triple)