1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Stupidest Workstation Config.???

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Kelvin, May 12, 2020.

1. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Whilst browsing Ebay, came across a pretty good deal for a

Lenovo P700 workstation - Dual 2603V3 CPUs, 16gb of ram, 4xsata 500gb drives Quadro K2200 workstation..
    It was cheap enough though, made a stupid enough.. negotiated and arrive on my doorstep yesterday.

Check the machine and HWINFO. yep.. exactly as stated in the listed.
    Check the warranty / original specs.. still under 341 days of warranty.. (onsite till the 18/4/2021)
    And still the original shipped specs..

Question,. why on earth someone order a machine with 4 500gb pieces of spinning rust, 16gb of ram (as two dual channel sets for each CPU), fitted with a two E5-2603v3 (6 cores 1.7ghz without HT) anda midrange Quadro K2200..???
    Surely a single E1650V3 would have been heaps better (6 cores, 12 threads 3.5ghz)with quad channel memory..

even a single 2tb, or 2x1tb drives... rather than 4x 500gb drives!!!! would have been better.

2. wwwww

wwwww Member

Makes perfect sense if the strategy was buy the cheapest then upgrade after (2x500GB at first then upgrade to 4x, 1x E5 2603v3 then upgraded to dual).

3. OP
    OP
    Kelvin

Kelvin Member

That I could have forgiven as a reasonable strategy...

As far As I can ascertian it was shipped with 4x500gb and 2xE5-2603V3. .. according to lenovo..

4. wwwww

wwwww Member

You looking through the pcsupport page? That shows the current config as long as it's updated through Lenovo.

5. OP
    OP
    Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Check the as-built configuration, (parts)... seems to show exactly... whats there..
    (this is using my daily driver to do the look up)

6. Hater

Hater Member

You just never know with part availability and the scale that companies like Lenovo work with their support contracts, it would have worked out cheaper to build it like that because of some random supply contract.

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Honestly, not even close to the stupidest workstation (and I mean workstation - as in professional Engineering/CAD/CAM/VFX workstation) build I've seen.

You get a lot of folks in that industry that confuse their ability to drive a professional software suite well with competence in designing a hardware solution. Hasn't changed as long as computers have been around, won't change any time soon (in fact, it's getting worse again as home ownership of computers decreases).

8. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

I asked that question once when I wanted to know why someone swapped out something like a high clocked four core I7-3820 for one of those cheap Ebay E5-2670's that ran considerably slower like a bit over half the speed but had double the number of cores and I was told it was more suitable if you ran a lot of VM's on it.

9. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

Even if you do know how to build a machine you may still not know whats the best config for a CAD machine today as I wouldn't as I've never used CAD software. For example the first thing I would ask them is;

Is this CAD package still single threaded? and if it is then its a lot harder to figure out the best CPU to get, if its multi-threaded then how many threads can it handle? and like my comment above as which is better in having CPU speeds halved but also the number of cores doubled? or less cores but much faster speeds better? Faster RAM or more of it? SSD's OK or do you need DC P3700's or Optanes? What video card? consumer one like say a used 1080Ti as it has a large amount of 11 GB of RAM or expensive new professional Quadro with less onboard RAM but it must have ECC? Does it need to get high FP64 scores? or is FP64 of no use whatsoever? Most of the time you'd have to consult a forum for people that use this package and then compare what they've swapped around and make a note of what made a big difference either positively or negatively to try to figure out the optimal config. Then you may have a given price you have to work with so what do you downgrade that hits performance the least?