1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Sub $150 media player

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by stealthmatt, May 19, 2014.

1. stealthmatt

stealthmatt Member

I am looking for a media player thats less than $150 that can connect to NTFS usb drives and also has network capabilities to browse windows shares.

Does any one have any suggestions? Has to be sort of simple for the parents but plays all types of files (mkv, AC3, etc)

2. Vegemiteman

Vegemiteman Member

WDTV streaming media player

3. dragonFLAME

dragonFLAME Member

Pi with XBMC is a winrar.

Plays everything and has the benefit of looking gooood while doing it.

Use your TV remote to control it which is a win when your GF/wife has to use it.

4. break

break Member

Yep, I had a look around and tried to find something cheaper.... but they all felt 'clumsy' in operation in contrast to the WDTV.

Bought it and set it up with a 1tb "2.5 external drive (NFTS formatted with a bunch of h264 content) for my partner's elderly non-english speaking parents, and after 5mins of instruction they were comfortable using it... which says it all.

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Overall I'm very happy with mine. Good solid purchase for the price.

6. danyell

danyell Member

7. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

This - have 3 at home in the kids rooms (swapping them out with NUC's for homework duties)

But they have been great

8. sml_nail

sml_nail Member

There are also other similar boxes such as the G-Box Midnight MX2 (and clones), Minix X7, Tronsmart S89. The Minix gets pretty good reviews given its external wifi antenna, the MX2 is a widely used box as well.
    The S89 and the soon to be released Minix X8 are quad core models depending on your requirements.

9. BBITS

BBITS Member

10. MB403

MB403 Member

11. sml_nail

sml_nail Member

Just a follow up. I ended up buying a Beelink M82 which is the same box as the Tronsmart S89. Haven't played with it too much nor updated it to the latest hacked firmware but for the most part it seems like a solid little box.
    Comes with XBMC preloaded which works great for files played from local storage. Streams ok over wifi but seems a little slower than my PC to buffer before it starts.
    Remote is reasonable so for around $100 including freight its not too bad but I'll reserve my judgement on its wireless performance once I've updated the firmware and tried streaming some HD content.

With XBMC though its a much nicer interface then my WDTV live.

12. nico6

nico6 Member

A mate bought one on the weekend and I was surprised at the UI improvement over the earlier WDTV version. Looks great.

Is XBMC and others that much slicker than the Live Streaming version?