Subnautica

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by whatdoesthisdo, Mar 23, 2015.

1. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Sun rises in the north, sets in the south. Now you have a compass :)

The habitat is on one of the islands, you can build it after you go there and scan it, along with some other goodies. One of the incoming radio messages will lead you there eventually, or you can just look on the horizon for mist and go on an adventure.

2. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I have tons of blueprints for stuff I cant build yet, in blueprints screen they are categorised by how you build them, a lot of stuff you cant build initially.

Just built my seamoth :) Does it take batteries or the fusion cells or whatever?

And after 3 hours I only just discovered the storage locker inside the life pod haha

3. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

It takes power cells, which is two batteries + silicone. Tip for that though, when you make a power cell, use flat batteries if you have them lying around. It will be a little while before you find the fragments for the battery charger, so instead of hanging onto flat batteries, turn them into power cells. Two flat batteries + silicone = a fully charged power cell :)

Later on down the track you can make ion cells..

walker_2003 likes this.
  4. taldoren

taldoren Member

Its a survival and progress game....not sure what you are after here...

It follows the normal design of / divide time between stockpiling supplies - resources/Building/Questing/Expanding.
    Many times you will get blueprints for items etc that required resources you have not found/discovered ye, but that will come as you progress.
    TBH don't need the compass, use old school landmark navigation, TBH its a refreshing change to NOT have a in game map and you need to rely on your own ability to navigate foreign territory, Damm you EQ 1 for making me love that system.

As for food /water -
    1st priority before you do anything - food/water check - at least 5+ cooked fish in storage at all time - same with water, if not - food/water run.
    2nd before heading out to do anything else, 2-3 cooked fish-water in inventory (if lowers reserves below limit - goto 1st priority)
    3rd make a plan on what your doing on the excursion - looking for specific resource ? following radio beacon ? building ? or exploring?. Try not to get side tracked but make a not of anything interesting and do a separate outing to explore discoveries etc.

Tips ; The grav thingy is awesome for fish trapping - make them asap and set a few up not 2 far away from base. Also make beacons asap - great for marking ore etc as your doing another excursion so you can come back relatively empty and get a good haul, also good to mark explore enabled wrecks, again - wreck exploring is a different set of gear normally.

You can also use the Eve mentality too- never go out without anything you cannot afford to replace :p

Also cannot stress this enough READ the PDA info on everything - use the analyser on everything and then review all the data.

walker_2003 likes this.
  5. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Ah good to know you can use empty batteries. I am 1 resource away from battery charging station.

Doesn't cooked fish spoil real quick? or does storage pause it?

And I scan everything e.g. coral but what does reading logs provide? not like you can pick the coral up. Most the info seems pretty useless.

6. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i feel like that there's a particular order to do things and if i am missing an important blueprint I cannot progress...or maybe i just suck at games in general :p

7. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

nope no exact way to play this game, the radio clues guide you along.

There is multiple parts of devices too.. e.g. I have found about 5 pieces of the aquaglide even though you only need 3. So isn't just 1 place holding the missing puzzle piece. If you already have the blueprints you get magnesium instead.

Explore a 200m radius of all parts of ships/escape pods for stuff to scan.

8. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Maybe I should check out the aurora :p

I do have a radiation suit and the sea glide.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  9. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Definitely check out the aurora! Take a fire extinguisher and a lazer cutter with you!

10. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

shit! i don't think i have the blueprints for that :(

11. Alqemist

Alqemist Member

Almost finished the main story, very entertaining like a very good sci fi movie.

Tips for enjoyable playing:

1. Dont wiki stuff, work everything out for yourself. Nothing is so hidden that its very time consuming to find or do, just explore naturally.
    2. Listen to radio messages, but you dont need to rush through them. There's no time factor.
    3. Play at night with lights off, immerse yourself!
    4. Beacons are cheap, easy tech and will help you come back to important places once you have found them.
    5. Scan everything, theres a purpose for most things.
    6. The inflatable bladder is really good, even lategame.
    7. Swim along the bottom if you can, it makes it easier to find technology and time capsules. Time capsules are packages from previous players who have escaped the planet and usually they leave you a few nice things (like a thermoblade).
    8. Read everything in your PDA, its all very useful. Read the Degassi logs, read the biological descriptions...
    9. Spend time making a nice base for yourself, if you are in the shallows use lots of glass. I find the comfort and tranquility of my base and creates a contrast with the terror of the deep that enhances the experience.
    10. Go deeper...and scan yourself :)

12. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Sometimes it's useless, but more often scanning the right combination of items will lead to new blueprints. Hydrocloric acid for example. Scan salt, get nothing much. Scan deep shrooms as well though and suddenly you know how to make hydrocloric acid. Once you know how to make hydrochloric acid, you find out how to make polyaniline. All useful stuff for higher end upgrades.

And yes cooked fish spoils very quickly. You deal with that in one of three ways. Catch and cook only as needed, catch and cure instead of cooking, or get the upgrade station (or find a lucky time capsual) and upgrade to the thermo knife which kills and cooks in one swipe. The first is obviously limiting in how far away from a fabricator you can be. The second increases your need for water, cured fish is high in salt and makes you thirsty. The last, well it's yet another 'need an upgrade' barrier.

The game is about overcoming roadblocks. You want to do something, you don't have what you need to do it, so you go exploring and find it. You find the fragments, find the raw materials, then you do it. Once it's done you do what you needed to do with that item and progress to the next roadblock.
    There's a lot of useful stuff on the aurora, but don't go until you have a laser cutter and a propulsion canon. You will need both to clear obstactles. In the mean time, follow my earlier advice, whenever you get a radio message about a downed life pod, go. There will be useful fragments and/or blueprints at each one, and often it will take you right past a wreck you can explore, or a field of resources you might otherwise have missed.

walker_2003 likes this.
  13. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I know this game is about overcoming problems...I just worry too much IRL

and one wonders how i even made it this far in life :p

14. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Also, don't put off making a base just because you can't build a multipurpose room. You can build everything you need earlygame in the normal corridors and scanner room. By the time I got multi purpose rooms I didn't use them for anything but alien containment and a water purifier.

15. OP
    OP
    whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

You dont need the propulsion cannon, obstacles are easily jumped but definitely need the laser cutter. Got to the aurora as soon as you have the cutter and radiation suit as you can scan the prawn suit also batteries galore.

walker_2003 likes this.
  16. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

If there's a magic way to jump past some of the obstacles I didn't find them :Paranoid: But I'm a giant noob so what would I know :p

17. OP
    OP
    whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Hahahaa well I learnt the hard way. I heard you needed it but the time I got there I had forgot to bring mine.

Actually that reminds me, bring a couple of fire extinguishers too.

18. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I'm gonna need more time on this :p

walker_2003 likes this.
  19. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

How do I build base pieces? I need something that builds them I thought? (I am like 3.5 hrs in and just got the seamoth)

20. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

You use the base fabricator item (equip like the scanner, and right click to bring up build options). I actually don't remember if you start off with it in your inventory, or possibly the escape pod's storage container, or find it... but you DO get it extremely early. Even just a couple of I compartments in a row, with a hatch and stacked with wall lockers and a solar panel on top is super useful. You can expand on it later adding your moonpools and stuff.