Subway Sucks

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Active Snail, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Active Snail

Active Snail Member

It may be blasphemous to some, but its true. I have been getting Subway sangas for years and despite going to different locations more or less every time, i have noticed a consistent drop off in salad volume and a lack of interest to keep up with quality standards and tastes. I remember getting a roll packed full of salad and it was really refreshing to get stuck in to, now its like eating something Mum made that was thin enough to stuff in your lunchbox. Fake chicken? Really? You're going to sell that frankenstein shit in 2016? Kraft singles? The ham is awful. The turkey is... I dont even know. I was speaking with a franchise owner and it was voted that beetroot would not be a standard salad option because the franchise owners did not want to supply another salad option for free.

The only redeeming quality is the roast beef.

2. power

power Member

all downhill when they got rid of the u gouge.

3. SamBoio

SamBoio Member

It's been going downhill for years. After at least 3 food poisoning incidents that I know were caused by subway (from separate stores), I stopped going back. Here's the other reasons I wont ever go back:

You ask for no lettuce (because their lettuce is often all brown and shit) and they still pack it on unless you stop them in time. I even had green tomatoes on my roll once (I wasn't paying attention when they made it). Infact, most of the time they try and put the basic salads on even if you've specifically said not to. You shouldn't have to watch them like a hawk, but you do otherwise they do whatever they want.
    Fucking gross.

Footlong meatball sub, got about 5 tiny meatballs on it and a truckload of sauce that tasted like it was made a few days ago. WTF.

Add a little bit of salt please... staff member proceeds to empty half the container on the roll.

And it's awesome how when you ask for it to be toasted, so they toast it, then leave it on the bench for the next person (who's busy at the register because they're too tight to put on another staff member) to add the extras on and by then it's stone cold again.

4. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

I always have a good sandwich when I go to subway. I usually get the same thing, chicken fillet or meatballs. Or whatever new thing they have temporarily.

They've got other cheese than floppy cheddar. My favourite is Swiss.
    My only complaint is the olives are tasteless and the tomatoes have lost flavor from whatever they do to keep them preserved.

I always add jalapeƱos, and now they have Chipotle sauce which I like. :thumbup:

5. miicah

miicah Member

I always get a pizza sub, no pizza sauce. You can't fuck up pepperoni. Also beetroot is free, not sure where you got that from.

Meatball sub always has 6 balls on it, 3 for each 6-inch. In fact every sub with meat on it should be exactly the same. None of their cheese is anywhere close to Kraft singles and the chicken has always been of questionable quality.

6. SLO247

SLO247 Member

I never find it bad here but I've always hated their prices. Chicken Schnitzel isn't bad.

7. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

This is what you get with franchising. You need to find a good store and reward them with your business. Dont like it?...then dont go.

People always amuse me when they have the time to complain about things, but wont actually hit the business where it hurts and stop going. Never having been to Quiznos I bet it was way better than Subway....but we know what people chose...the cheaper option :rolleyes:

8. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

That's right - each store is only as good as it's owner (franchisor). The one in Cooma, for example, is excellent. if you are up that way drop in and see the owner Mark, tell him 'Vlad' sent you.

The other thing to consider is that in many stores, the employees are young kids on minimum wage. Their care factor is low, their motivation lower, so you need to take that into consideration (and correct them if they f up).

Personally I've never had any 'light on the salad' issues.

9. Sorrow

Sorrow Member

One thing the UK has that Australia doesn't is a lot more good sandwich bars! I miss em :(

10. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Almost all cafe's in the city make sandwiches.
    They cost over $10, but if you want "quality" like the OP is demanding, then you pay.

11. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Thats wrong... its 4 per 6 inch.

12. bYrd

bYrd Member

So what happens here - do you get the "special sauce" from out the back or something? :Paranoid: :)

13. Reaper

Reaper Member

Yep, it's all to do with the owner. Find a good one and stick with it.

The only thing I don't like about subway is you have to get double stacked fillings to have them the same as what they were standard back in the day, and they still taste pretty much the same as each other.

14. OP
    OP
    Active Snail

Active Snail Member

A Subway sandwich is more than $10...

15. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

A 12" vs 2 squares :shock:

16. Skramit

Skramit Member

To all of you, go to New Zealand. That is Subway heavan.

I've travelled all over NZ for work and every city or even outback NZ where I found a Subway in the small towns, the quality shits all over Aus. In every single one, they took pride in their work and made it properly. They laid our the meat and cheese evenly and slowly. The salads were fresh, evenly proportioned all along and it was just a much nicer sandwich.

I think this is because (and this is my perception) kiwis and 10x more likely to complain. Kiwis are a bit like the British who hold no qualms whatsoever sending a meal back, the kiwis will complain out loud if it's not done right. Where as in Aus, we just cop it generally speaking.

Also the NZ stores, although they were busy in Auckland and other big cities, the workers seemed to be far more interested in doing a good job and having a quick conversation with each customer. This wasn't just one store, this was everywhere. And often you had the NZ franchisee at the till running the place. So everyone works hard for their boss who's on the line! In Aus, nobody who works at Subway gives two fucks because the boss is some franchise investment guy who they've never met.

P.S. I don't think the quality of ingredients has gone down, it's still the same old shit. I just think quality of ingredients for other lunch options has gone up and left Subway behind. Theres 50 billion cafe's on every corner now who do ripping sandwiches, and aussies are becoming a nation of foodies!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  17. wraith666

wraith666 Member

Agreed. All the Subways around here are terrible. Wouldn't be surprised if they were all franchised by the one person.

18. broccoli

broccoli Member

It definitely differs by franchise. Also, it depends who assembles the sandwich. Sometimes the "sandwich artist" is a little bit stingy, or new people haven't really learnt how to get the proportions right yet. I think you can tell when the "sandwich artist" doesn't like something, because they never give you a proper serve of it. I think it's subconscious.

The subway near me is (usually) really nice. Always fresh salads, no brown lettuce, etc. It's a good one. (and now I want subway. damn you. shakes fist.)

19. 6thgear

6thgear Member

A whole heap of stores near Flinders/Elizabeth where my work is that have some seriously good and really fresh sandwiches for $5 and degraves street has heaps of good deals for great foods as well. One of the perks of the office being there then again a negative is the amount of homeless people around

20. miicah

miicah Member

Well there you go, even more balls!