Subway Sucks

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Active Snail, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

I don't understand why people are surprised at this. It's minimum wage teenagers baking parbaked bread and stuffing it with processed meat and the cheapest salad available. Are people surprised when they find McDonalds isn't haute cuisine?

I quite like Subway because it's slightly healthier than fast food and highly portable. To get a better sandwich of comparable size I'd need to spend at least $15 in a cafe. Otherwise you could have those prepackaged servo sandwiches...

2. clonex

clonex Member

The breads horrible, barely able to breath when the shits cooking in the morning. Yeast fest?

Stuff goes from a mars bar sized dough to a foot long sub in the oven :D

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  3. power

power Member

They used to be better - that's why.

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I find the mount you get in the sandwich is very dependent on which store you go to. I do find the contents usually quite sufficient, but occasionally you get some stingy stores.

5. aXis

aXis Member

My rant about subway is the way many of the staff handle the bread.

They squish the buggery out of it while cutting it. They then squish it further when they open it out. Then, as they are standing there asking what you'd like in it, they have their fingers resting on it like it's playdough at kindergarten.

A BIT OF FINESSE PLEASE, BE GENTLE WITH THE FUCKING BREAD AND STOP SQUASHING IT!

6. l_ QuadX_l

l_ QuadX_l Member

Subway isn't the only fast food place in recent years dropping in quality. Used to visit one fast food restaurant over the years in brisbane always enjoyed a cheap yet enjoyably tasty meal. The last 3 times I had been there I've been served badly undercooked or retardely served food eg orange juice in a frozen coke cup (it's unstable/unbalanced as f**k and spills everywhere!), things like that that make u want to throw it in their faces, literally! :thumbdn::mad: I don't go there anymore so they lose my business :D

Also I'm thinking fast food places especially these days only want to hire the cheapest teenage casual workers and probably managers don't stay long either so nobody working there gives a f**k about quality!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  7. Reaper

Reaper Member

Exactly that for exactly everywhere. Every one used to be much better. Every take away place anywhere.

8. power

power Member

I think Maccas have gotten much better, but yeah pretty much everywhere else has gotten worse - special mention to KFC, had the best chips bar none and decided to fuck that up royally and now pretty much have the worst chips.

Red Rooster - improved a smidge
    HJ's - bit better, variety is welcome.
    Maccas - better by a fair bit
    KFC - much, much worse
    Subway - worse by a fair bit

9. clonex

clonex Member

Tried the new HJ chips? Its like eating bread

10. broccoli

broccoli Member

Again, I think a lot depends on the outlet. There's a KFC I've been to that produces delicious meals, it was hot, it was crispy, the chips were great. Unfortunately, it's not my closest one :(. My nearest Hungry Jacks is foul, there's another one not as close that is delicious. Even with an outlet sometimes it can be "off", a sloppy crew or somebody off sick or something. Some of the "health" improvements have made the products not as tasty -less fat, less salt can equal drier and more tasteless. Red Rooster used to be all soft and fatty. Now it's petrified.

I think maccas is heaps nicer now. I never used to go there, now they have salads and the make your own burgers with more salad and cooked onions, I go there. Their meat is nicer. It used to be sort of steamed, now they seem to cook it or heat it differently so it's more brown (or something)

One thing that has improved is the chips from Hungry Jacks. They've been putting it on the tv that they've changed the chips and they are HEAPS better than before. Really nice now. Not as good as proper fat chips, but nice for the skinny type.

I think I'm just lucky that my nearest Subway is nice. I've been to others, looked at the salad in the trays and left without ordering thinking "nuh-uh, not fresh, not nice".

11. power

power Member

I have, I reckon they are pretty decent actually.

12. clonex

clonex Member

Theres more flower in em than potato

13. broccoli

broccoli Member

Nope, according to the website, they consist of
    Potato, Canola Oil, Sunflower Oil, Dextrose

Why the hell you'd put sugar on chips is a mystery though.....

14. alch

alch Member

What shits me the most is when they dont cut it all the way through and you end up ripping half the filling from the other half of the sub while eating the other-other half.

15. Andrew357

Andrew357 Member

Enhances flavour through the 'sweetness' & through cooking process, dextrose can also extend the life of packaged food as well.

16. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Well go in there and tell him gun owners are all psychos and you vote Green and I'm SURE you'll get something special..... :D

17. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

tbh the only good thing these days is the electronic ordering through maccas...

You can order a double 1/4 pounder meal - hit edit then the burger -

remove tomato sauce and mustard, add big mac sauce and lettuce and BAM - 1/4 pounder big mac meal.

I also do the double McChicken and add extra sauce, hit the steamed bun and BAM - old mcChicken burger from before they toasted the buns.

If I had the money then I would open a fast food place that doesnt skimp on ingredients....funny its at the top of what people want. Considering we pay more for food here in Aus than over seas, yet we get screwed over so much when eating out...

18. broccoli

broccoli Member

They exist. There's this fantastic burger shop called Novembar's.... drool. It's crazy how much they give you for the price.

(BTW, I don't think the maccas make your own are skimpy)

19. Reaper

Reaper Member

I'm not keen on the new hj chips. They're ok, but I prefer the older skinny fries.

As for mcdonalds, I really rarely go there, but it's pretty much the same except for the service sucks. You get a ticket and then stand around waiting while counter staff just stand there waiting for the next person to order. Order times are through the roof there now. I don't use the grease screens.

KFC, been shit for years, not a good one around. Used to be the go to place for chips, but nah, all soggy and no matter how much you say extra seasoning, they taste like nothing.

Pizza hut, used to be the go to for a thin based bbq meat, but they've changed the toppings. Rubbish.

20. broccoli

broccoli Member

I gave it another go the other day, and it was really nice. It's a brand new shop just opened/reopened, so maybe they are trying hard while they are a new business.