Sucking Catfish is dead: My Goldfish Eyes Fell Off- Both Eyes are gone!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by bcprowor, Nov 29, 2006.

1. bcprowor

bcprowor Member

hi all
    I noticed yesterday that one of my small golfish has lost both its eyeballs
    Both eyeballs are gone and you can see through it. Its basically hollow and I am wondering what went wrong. I haven't seen anything like this before. The fish is still swimming like its usual self without any problems at all. There are no signs of disease and other goldifish in the tank seem pretty healthy. I've had this goldfish for about 1.5 years and the other fish in the tank include fancy goldfish, comets, blackmores and 3 sucking catfish. The sucking catfish were introduced into the tank about 2 months ago and seem to go well with the fish. Is it normal for goldfish to lose its eyes and still live without complications (the only thing i noticed is obviously it doesn't know where its swimming and find left over foods on the gravel)/..

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  2. svendenhowser

svendenhowser Member

What kind of catfish are they? Your normal common pleco's aren't good fishmates for goldfish, they grow large and can get aggressive. Bristlenoses can be ok, although I had to take mine out because it became aggressive.

Do you think it could be one of your other fish? It's mating season now (cooler weather turning warm gets them horny!) and the male fish can get really aggressive and can (in extreme circumstances) kill the female. Have you noticed any butt-shoving lately? One of my large fancies has been banished outside to an 80L plastic tub because he became really aggressive during this mating season and stole 4 eyes from my tank. I now have 2 partially blind fish and 1 totally blind fish, they are all nice and healthy despite their disabilities.

For the fish who lost the eyes you need to be really careful on your water conditions while the socket heals. You can add a little salt as well or melafix if you have it to help prevent any infections.

Edit: the only difference with my totally blind goldfish is that she's quite clumbsy :p But shes a large lionhead and has no trouble competing for food. If your fish is smaller than the others you may need to keep an eye on feeding to make sure it gets enough.

I took this picture of my little (ex) panda moor, she was one of the fish who lost 1 eye.
    http://tbbw.customer.netspace.net.au/DSC_019101.jpg

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  3. Wink

Wink Member

Pics of blind fish please!

4. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Aren't goldfish coldwater, while bristlenoses are tropical?

5. svendenhowser

svendenhowser Member

Fancies actually like fairly warm water (20-25C and above), commons and comets are the real hardcore coldies that can survive under sheet ice.

6. Indra

Indra Member

Off topic, but i couldn't help but laugh when i saw that Agg's avatar was quite fitting.

7. OP
    OP
    bcprowor

bcprowor Member

Im unsure of what type of catfish they are, I bought them titled as "sucking catfish" @ the local fish shop. Heres a photo of it though:

http://www.filehigh.com/viewimg.php?f=28811&i=287515

heres another one : http://www.filehigh.com/viewimg.php?f=28811&i=287521

I guess it could be one of the other fish but I cant gurantee that. I have one comet goldfish always butt shoving other fish when the fish are eating off the bottom of the tank. I've had most of the goldfish in the tank for about 1.5-2yrs now and they have yet to spawn in the tank thats because I dont have any live plants in the tank. It's literally the first time i've come across a goldfish losing its eyeballs. Im keeping a good eye out for the little one because its probably one of the smallest goldfishes in my tank
    Heres a photo of the fish without its eyes:

[​IMG]

I'll be careful of the water conditions and add some conditioning to heal the fishes injuries.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  8. ministryofsound

ministryofsound Member

"Fell off" lmao what a champion thread title :thumbup:

Sorry for your loss. :leet:

9. svendenhowser

svendenhowser Member

bcprowor it looks like a chinese algae eater (maybe some tropical peeps can confirm), they are renowned for sucking off the goldfish slimecoat, grow large quickly and often become aggressive. He seems a bit small to be the culprit of sucking his eyes out, but you never know, those suckers can really suck sometimes :p

I would move it out of the goldfish tank, not only because it could be the eye sucker, but because they aren't compatible with goldfish at all.

Btw thats a nice little ranchu :)

10. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

^^Yep that is a Chinese Algae eater and they are evil and regularly sold as sucking catfish. I personally hate them, sorry but I lost a discus to a golden one :upset: a few years ago and have seen them do nasty things to a variety of fish. As above has said remove them. My 2 cents worth

11. mental_empathy

mental_empathy Member

One of my lecturers says that fish can regrow their eyes.

12. svendenhowser

svendenhowser Member

I've never heard of that mental, my fish certainly haven't shown any signs of regrowing their eyes :p

13. karnage112

karnage112 Member

What the. Fish eyes fell out? I got a tank in my backyard with lots of koi fish. Hope theyre eyes dont fall out.

14. OP
    OP
    bcprowor

bcprowor Member

oh ok, i guess you are right
    searched it up on google to confirm by checking out images, its distinctive from that black long line from top to bottom.

Hmm dont have a seperate tank to place them at the moment so i'll have to get a tank in next few days. I have a total of 3, maybe buy a few more and place them in the one small tank hahaha. Pity, they do nasty things to fish. They are still young and i've seen pretty big ones at the fish shop.
    Thanks

15. OP
    OP
    bcprowor

bcprowor Member

hehe nah I dont think so dude.
    I've had my goldfish for quite a while and no problems. Just the usual diseases if not taken care properly.

The algae eaters were introduced around 2 months ago.

16. OP
    OP
    bcprowor

bcprowor Member

err weird, i dont think that is true. ehee

17. Bryan0209

Bryan0209 Member

poor fish as long as it's still living it will forget in 3 seconds that it doesn't have eyes

18. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

that's not true either. :)

19. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Yeah its probably swimming around going. "OMG OMG OMG OMG I CAN"T SEE *bump*, OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG I CAN"T SEE WHERE AM I OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG"

20. icontact

icontact Member

damn that's unfortunate. :tongue: