Sugar, the bitter truth.

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Impression, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Impression

Impression (Banned or Deleted)

Hi. was wondering if anyone knew the ted's video on high fructose foods, its a 90 min doco iirc. the truth about our food.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  2. grimninja

grimninja Member

Only food doco that comes to mind is Food Inc but i dont remember that being about Fructose but is about food, well american food.

3. bobfranklin

bobfranklin Member

4. Madllama

Madllama Member

I am not sure if this is the one that you are asking about.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Its an awesome talk well worth the 90 odd minutes. He goes into the whole thing about how evil fructose is and its affects upon our diet.
    Ie that is pretty much only stored directly as fat and not used for energy.

Have you just recently been diagnosed with fructose malabsorption syndrome?

BTW as per above suggestions, you really should edit the title of the thread to something a bit more informative.

5. OP
    OP
    Impression

Impression (Banned or Deleted)

thankyou that's the one :D

6. Madllama

Madllama Member

No worries.
    Its an awesome talk, should be mandatory for all high school students. ;)

7. The Wiz

The Wiz Member

Came across this thread and watching this right now. Very interesting.

8. power

power Member

for future reference TED video's are on www.ted.com

unless you are referring to a different TED?

dozens of great discussions.

9. dexster

dexster Member

10. Madllama

Madllama Member

Its evil stuff and they whack it into so much stuff.
    Though luckily in Australia we dont have the massive amounts of high fructose corn syrup due to a heavily subsidised corn industry.
    Its pretty strange some of the stuff that you find it in, like vitamin water for example:confused:

11. spludgey

spludgey Member

I had a look yesterday when I went shopping. None of the items I bought had it as an ingredient. Nor could I find it in any of the 5 or 6 breads I looked at.

How is fructose "evil" exactly? It naturally occurs in fruit, hence the name. It's just when people consume more or it than they should that it can become a problem.
    It's people that just stuff their faces on fast food and unhealthy crap. Then they try and shift the blame onto evil cooperations/governments. Take some responsibility for your own actions.
    The scariest thing in this video was that he said that 6 month old toddlers are now becoming fat because they get soft drinks. Does he really want us to agree with him that it's the evil soft drink company that's to blame here rather than the absolutely useless parents?

12. omghi

omghi Member

I took away from that video that fructose (like anything) should be eaten in moderation and in balance with other things. So when you refine foods you end up with an imbalance of fructose to other nutrients. It is safest in its natural state because that is when you can be sure it comes with all that other stuff.

Australia doesn't have nearly as much high fructose corn syrup in processed foods but we mostly just replace it with refined white sugar which in terms of health isn't that much different. People who do a lot of baking would be familiar with how much (usually) refined sugar we end up pouring into cakes, biscuits, etc.

I try to only eat sweets, cakes, ice creams, etc when I've made them myself these days. This way I know what has gone into them and can tweak recipes to use part wholegrain flour, etc. Also since it is more effort to bake I end up eating less. I still probably far exceed the amount of sugar I should be eating.

13. Egor_

Egor_ (Banned or Deleted)

14. spludgey

spludgey Member

You don't need a guide with a five step plan.
    Here is my one step plan and it's free: Just stop eating so much of it!

15. Madllama

Madllama Member

Thankfully its not as common in processed foods here as it is in the US.

In its natural form its not that evil at all. If you have a look at an Apple, one of the highest fructose containing fruits, there is a crap load of fibre there. This fibre does make a fairly big difference to how your body processes the sugars.

Toddlers aren't just getting fat from soft drinks. There are quite a few baby formulas that contain high amounts of fructose, as well as toddler food.
    I agree that some peoples parenting skills are definitely lacking, unfortunately one of the biggest problems is lack of knowledge and hopefully with more awareness people with start to make some right decisions.

16. [PnP]dredd

[PnP]dredd Member

omg soft drinks are bad for you!

omg people get fat when they eat mutliple meals each day that would be considered "dessert" in most places!

It's called self-discipline (or if its your kids, it's just discipline).

The only real problem is the subsidies on corn in the US, which are well known to have many adverse flow on effects.