1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for powered bookshelf speakers under $200?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by ndt, Jan 17, 2018.

1. ndt

ndt Member

After some powered bookshelf style speakers for my living room that are under $200, any suggestion on what to look for?

I've been looking at the Edifier R1280DB(like all the input options vs the 1700's), are these any good? I'm mainly after 2.0 or 2.1 setup.

2. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Really these are only a glorified computer monitor, Which may be fine for your use. as you don't say what the intended use is. ?
    What you have to consider is, what do you expect for your money, And for $150. your not going to get a lot. This link http://www.edifier.com/au/en/speakers/studio-1280t-2.0-powered-bookshelf
    advertises. the model you quoted, and then tells you they are out of stock. Also the photo is somewhat misleading as it's only a 4 inch main driver, and will require some sort of Sub, for which there is no provision for connection, on the speakers.
    I'm sorry if this sounds somewhat negative, But in three months time you will wish you had waited, until funds allowed you to acquire something better

I see by your details your in WA, These are on E-bay in a WA address
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Edifier...uetooth-Optical-Brown-/162787541468?rmvSB=tru

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  3. Hater

Hater Member

For a 2.0 setup i'd be looking at a 2 channel amp and doing it properly. It doesn't need to be new gear, 2.0 setups haven't improved all that much since the 70's power wars.

4. OP
    OP
    ndt

ndt Member

Oh yeah, I want to use them to replace the sound bar I currently use with my TV, so would be used for Movies and console gaming.

All good with your reply, its why I asked. Would rather hear, you should spend a little more vs "why'd you pay $400 for these when these $200 ones are almost the same"

5. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

I would doubt very much that the output from the Edifier's would even equal the output from the sound bar. Your expecting low level computer monitors, to fill a room with sound.
    As has been suggested a 2 channel amp and a pair of bookshelves speakers would do the job far better. It might be worth considering 2nd hand / used /traded kit, to comply with a low
    budget, might be the way to go. Consider reviewing Gumtree, or check with your local Hi-Fi shop [forget JB or HN] for used items. There are some good bargains to be had, if you play a waiting game. Just remember to review and hear any prospective purchases, before handing over the cash, and collecting the item yourself.

6. nico6

nico6 Member

Does your soundbar currently have a sub?

I've been using Microlab Solo 6Cs on our main TV for several years and they are just right for our TV audio needs. 6 inch drivers plus tweeters. If you can find a second-hand set of Solo 8C, that would be great bang for buck and will have all the interface options you could ask for.

Unfortunately Microlab is no longer in Australia

I'd also be really interested to hear from anyone about the suitability of the Edifer R1280DB for TV use in an average sized lounge room

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  7. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Not quite the same but I use Voll B44 with lowest end LG micro system and they're plenty loud enough to fill a room with music. Enough bass for most music but I wouldn't recommend it for movies in particular. 6 or 8 inch driver size minimum ideally 8.

8. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

For this sort of money I think you're better going for a 2.1 setup like the Swan M10's, the only thing is the connection options are more limited and volume control is manual. With smallish bookshelfs the frequency response is going to be very limited, the 2.1 will have more range. For a couple hundred more the Swan M50W would be good but may have the same issues with connectivity and volume control.

9. nico6

nico6 Member

It's been a while, but I recently bought the Edifer R1280DB speakers. They were purchased to improve bad built in TV audio, and they do this very well. I've also attached a turnable and it goes well for occasional listening. (Edit: my turntable has line-out and phono-out settings, and it did need to be set to line-out for good sound from the speakers)

The variety of inputs is great. I'm using Coaxial for the TV which is far better than 3.5mm to RCA, but I blame the TVs bad analogue audio in general for that (it was bad on other speakers too). Plain old RCA for the turntable and can't complain. The big bonus for me is the Bluetooth, since the room has become my home office since COVID-19.

Can't go wrong for $119 delivered

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020