Suggestions Kids Electric Guitar

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by synic, Nov 29, 2017.

1. synic

synic Member

Just throwing ideas around for Christmas.

My daughter seems to think she wants an electric guitar. She's got an acoustic but never took to it.

I'm wondering about purchasing a 2nd had 'kids sized (think age 9 girl) guitar' to see if that will spark her interest in music some more.

Has anyone been in this sort of situation..? Wanting a 'kids sized' electric guitar... Has to be cheap because, well, it could go the way of many impulsive fads and sit under the bed untouched and unloved; but I want to give her a good shot at learning in case she does want to take it more seriously.

I've already got a small 20w guitar amp; and am just looking for a guitar to use with it. She'd be using headphones with the amp (it has inputs for that).

FYI. I'm a novice when it comes to playing instruments (so be gentle with me). ;)

Suggestions appreciated. Offers considered. I'm in Brisbane.

2. shino

shino Member

3. Madmaximus

Madmaximus Member

Don't know about kids electric guitars (we bought ours acoustic), but since she's already dumped it once, I'd find a really good teacher and get her into lessons if you want her to stick to it. By "really good teacher" I mean one that gets her excited about guitar and makes the lessons (at least at first) fun.
    Have music on that shows good guitar work and point out the great licks. Better yet, learn with her, or teach her.

4. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

5. Perko

Perko Member

Second hand is king at present, it's been a buyer's market for some time now. I wouldn't worry too much about the size as such, my 7 year old can play open chords on my Teles easily enough.

It may not matter too much whether you get some kind of a show of good faith. In my experience with my kids, you could say yes, and she'll go nuts on her acoustic until you buy it, and then two weeks of doing the same on the electric later, it's a dust collector. Could go the other way just as easily.

Your call!