Suggestions on alternative Mail application?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by Azrael, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Azrael

Azrael Member

Ok, long story short, Mail.app refuses to download email from one of my work's Exchange server for some reason, despite happily downloading from another Exchange server (5 email accounts setup, 2 IMAP, 3 Exchange; don't ask why).

iOS Mail app happily reads data from the Exchange server, but never returns anything when searching.
    OWA sees all the email fine but regularly refuses to send email and just files it in Drafts instead of sending.

Several colleagues have this issue, on both Mac and Win10, including when using Outlook.

Anyway, the server admins for Work#2's Exchange server are useless beyond belief, and just blame everyone else for their ridiculous server setup.

Im now at the point where I need to fix it on my end so that I don't end up wasting an hour a day on the phone to the hosting company, and end up missing critical emails.

So, looking for suggestions on alternative Mail apps I can try.
    Stipulations:
    • Cannot be cloud indexed or offshore data from this exchange server. Sensitive information goes through email account. (i.e. Spark mail is out).
    • Must work well with sub-folders on IMAP accounts for filing, and not magically create a hierarchy of its own folders to lose email in (screw you Airmail for messing up my filing system)
    • Needs to play well with sending email from multiple accounts, and being able to BCC the appropriate email account (Yeah, Airmail you suck at that too)
    Prefer it to have a free demo so I can find out about all of these issues without having to buy it first.

Suggestions?

2. domsmith

domsmith Member

Not many email clients options if your wanting to connect to exchange using EWS. More options if your using IMAP.

Either Outlook or Mac Mail on a Mac using EWS.

Try rebuilding the index on the mail.app mailbox first.
    https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/mail/rebuild-mailboxes-mlhlp1227/mac

You wont start seeing results until after it re-indexes the mailbox.

You can also try running the following diagnostic tools on the exchange account/server your having issues with to see if there are connectivity or configuration issues.
    https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/

You haven't really mentioned the size of these mailboxes or if your connecting to the exchange servers using IMAP or EWS.

Different versions of outlook clients and exchange servers will have different limits to the number of emails/folders they can handle.

Lastly if its a specific mailbox on an exchange server that's having problems with search you can ask the exchange admin to move the mailbox from one database to another which should trigger the mailbox to get re-indexed server side.

3. OP
    OP
    Azrael

Azrael Member

EWS, and yes, rebuilding the mailbox is the only way to trigger it to get any new messages. Just a pity that it doesn't fix the issue, and rather requires a new rebuild every time you want to check for mail.

Im an Inbox Zero guy, and since these issues ive been doubling down on it. So <200 messages.

As for asking the exchange admin to do anything :lol:

4. OP
    OP
    Azrael

Azrael Member

Finally enough people complained that the Exchange admin looked into the problem. They claim that there is an incompatibility with Exchange and High Sierra, to which i pointed out that it is only their server that has any issues.

Their final solution is 'use Spark mail' to which they are completely oblivious as to the fact that we cannot use Spark due to the security requirements. Fail.

Time to see if Mojave fixes it.