Suitable Fan for HSF for EPIA M10000 Mini-iTX

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by birdie, Mar 29, 2007.

1. birdie

birdie Member

I purchased a VIA EPIA M10000 Mobo 2nd hand from these forums, now if didn't come with a fan on the CPU Heatsink. I am using it for a carputer, but i have a problem where i get colour streaks across the screen. I am pretty sure it is because of heat, as it doesn't occur straight away and its only after the computer has warmed up... I have been using a 40mm fan i purchased off ebay but i don't think it must be good enough. The CPU has been running at about 50c on my bench. I am unsure what temp it runs at in my car... (it is under my seat)

So I am wondering where i can source a suitable 40mm fan that will keep my CPU cool and happy.

2. kogi

kogi Member

if it's a video corruption problem, wouldn't it be the chipset that's overheating?

Probably a 80mm over the large NB/SB Heatsink.

k

3. bYrd

bYrd Member

The M10000 does come stock with a fan, so the previous owner must have removed theirs. I wouldn't do that with mine - they do need some airflow over the heatsink otherwise will hit 70+deg. Although, if you're getting graphics corruption, this wouldn't be the CPU but the integrated graphics chipset, which is located under the second fat heatsink, but is always fanless.

However, the stock CPU fan is pretty crappy but fairly high RPM (~ 5000), I've a Papst 40mm one on mine - it's about double the height but quieter, and bolted on with screws. If the 40mm fan you're using doesn't have a high RPM, it may not be good enough.

To test this, on your bench, I'd point a desk fan right at the heatsink(s), and if you still get graphic corruption, it suggests something another problem, not overheating.

Also ...

- Make sure you've the latest BIOS installed, although the official 1.16 does have issues with some RAM modules. PM me if you want the 1.13 version with the 1.16 video ROM, and overclocking in BIOS :D Have mine up to 1.2Ghz.

- The latest video drivers don't work properly with machines running an older BIOS.

JB

4. OP
    OP
    birdie

birdie Member

I am running the latest Video Drivers....

How do i check which BIOS version i am running? I think i might be already running 1.13 version with the 1.16 video ROM...

5. bYrd

bYrd Member

You should be able to check the BIOS version from the POST screen - if it comes up with a VIA logo, you can disable this to display the text.

Even something like SiSoft's Sandra should show the BIOS version.

JB

6. OP
    OP
    birdie

birdie Member

I have changed the RAM and the video corruption seems to have gone, and it seems to be running more reliably...