Sultans Delight (modifed ver)

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by death, Jan 14, 2011.

1. death

death Member

Hi all

This is a modifed version of Sultans Delight

1 kg diced lamb (preferably from loin or leg)
    2 tbsp tomato paste
    1 red capsicum freshly roasted and de-seeded and skinned
    6 garlic cloves (3 crushed)
    2 brown onions, finely chopped (or 7 golden shallots and 1 brown onion)
    2-3 bay leaves
    2 green capsicum, finely chopped
    4 tomatoes, diced
    1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
    1-1.5 cup lamb stock (or hot water)

Eggplant puree
    4-5 large eggplants
    3 cloves of garlic
    3 teaspoons of salt

To Serve:
    1/2 cup grated Turkish hard mature cheese (kasar) or kashkaval cheese (halloumi was all I could find)
    Fresh chopped parsley
    Turkish bread

Preparation

Do steps 1-5 the night before

1. In a blender add in 3 cloves of garlic, 1 onion (or 7 shallots), roasted capsicum, tomato paste, 1 tablespoon salt, white pepper, black pepper, bay leaves, a little water to help blending if needed. Blend until smooth.

Click to view full size!

2. Pour the mixture in a bowl with the diced lamb and mix. Cover with glad wrap and leave in fridge overnight.

Click to view full size!

3. Make the eggplant puree. To make the eggplant puree, place the eggplant on open fire such as a woodfire oven or gas cooktop. Cook on each side until the skin of the eggplant is burnt. Approx 10 min each side for 40-45min total.

4. Place eggplant in a bowl and cover with glad wrap. Leave it for 15min to cool.

5. Remove skin off eggplant (cut it in half then scoop out the middle). Put all the flesh in a blender with 2-3 cloves of garlic and 3 teaspoons of salt. Blend till smooth. Pour mixture into a container and leave overnight in the fridge.

---

6. Saute 1 onion, add the lamb, green capsicum, stock and tomato. Season with salt and pepper if required. Increase heat to high, bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and cook until the lamb is tender (about 1hr). Add in parsley and mix well.

7. Heat up the eggplant with a little oil or butter (or you can serve cold as well)

To serve, divide the eggplant puree among plates, make a circle with a spoon so most of the plate is covered with eggplant, then top with the lamb mixture then sprinkle some cheese and fresh parsley. Serve with Turkish bread.

Click to view full size!

Enjoy

----

NOTE: I made this dish according to the original recipe in the link above.
    Personally I didn't like what was done to the eggplant and thought it was lacking other things so I modified as above which I think would be much better.

I used diced lamb and the meat was not very tender.
    You may be best off cooking for longer or using another cut of lamb (any suggestions?). I think the leg may have softened much more next time I will try that.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  2. scon

scon Member

Looks interesting. The eggplant might be better if you treat it like baba ganouj - ie: chuck a whole eggplant on a bbq or in an oven till it starts to collapse on itself, then remove flesh and blend with the other ingredients. Love the combo of lamb and eggplant though.

3. Madllama

Madllama Member

Looks pretty good, I might give it ago.
    With regards to the tenderness of the lamb, adding a bit of salt to your marinade would help soften things up.
    Otherwise cooking in a pressure cooker would get things nice and tender.

4. OP
    OP
    death

death Member

thanks for advice
    I did have 1 tablespoon of salt in marinade
    I don't have a pressure cooker cant really justify it as I have lots of free time for slow dishes like this.

Ill try loin next time as well