Sunglasses!!!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Akh-Horus, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Had a good look and nothing in the last few years.

Do you collect sunglasses? What brand is your preferred brand and why? How much have you spent?

God knows I chew through them with work, so I don't buy expensive ones, but thinking about getting another pair as I have no sunglasses at all at the moment.

Throw in comments and what not guys.

2. Revenge

Revenge Member

I make sure I don't lose mine... the last pair were close to $750 (prescription, polarised Rayban).

But seeing as I can now get contacts to suit my needs, I don't have to have prescription sunnies so am on the lookout for something 'off the shelf'

3. Copie

Copie Member

Ive had asshole shades for a few years now (silver mirror rayban aviators) they are quite good, get alot of use daily.

Good for intimating others whilst talking to them

4. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

I reckon I have tried a lot of brands, and done a lot of research. Appears not many brands actually retail with glass now, appears to be plastic...

5. 3stars

3stars Member

i love fixing my hair when people talk to me wearing those kind, kills their cool factor

museumman likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Good for perving though - so I have been told of course.

7. Sico Music

Sico Music Member

I've just started wakeboarding and I loose sunnies constantly, I no longer care about how they look I just want something cheap that will protect my eyes, what should be I be looking for? e.g. polarised etc? I get some very cheap polarised ones off ebay but there has to be something wrong with them right?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  8. CrazyNuts

CrazyNuts Member

Just buy a box of these

http://www.bollesafety.com.au/safety-spectacles/greygreen-polarised-1652607

9. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

+1 on safety glasses.

They're now designed so they looks 'reasonably' cool so that workers will wear them. They're cheap, and you can just recycle them if they break

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Sunglasses is something I have absolutely no luck with.....I have bought decent pairs only to have them trashed a month later. Then have had ten dollar pairs to have them trashed a month later. I can never win with sunglasses.

I find it really hard to find a pair I'm comfortable with also.

11. olie

olie Member

Ok.

So my track record is:
    Casual:
    Current set:
    Persol "Classic" with Polarized lenses
    Going on 3 years this January, absolutely top notch construction and fantastic lenses.
    Previous Set:
    Maui Jim Sports style, I don't remember the model.
    Solid for around 4 years! However I did damage the frames around a year into owning them and it was a on the spot replacement with a new set. :thumbup:

Sports:
    About 10x cheap Uvex Sports of various styles.
    Currently rocking some $20 SportsStyle 204's and Sun station's depending on the weather.

Snow/high speed:
    Oakley Airbrake's with the following lenses
    -Dark Grey
    -Vr50 Pink Iridium
    -High Intensity Yellow

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  12. Cape_Horn

Cape_Horn Member

Current

Casual wear - Oakley Whiskers (pewter/blue mirror/polarised prescription)
    Sports - Oakley Racing Jacket ( Lens 1 - Black Iridium polarised prescription, Lens 2 - green Transition prescription)

Am looking to replace the whiskers, they are now 10ish years old, and nothing really jumps out at me as a replacement, the ear socks are f***ed, and the lenses are quite scratched, while I maybe able to get replacement aftermarket lenses (Oakley won't) the rest of the frame is ready for replacement. Anyone got any ideas for something similar in style?

wilde_man likes this.
  13. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

You wear normal sunnies wake boarding?? Of course you lose them lol.

http://www.wileyx.com.au/viewproduct.php?categ-id=40&prod-id=92&categ-name=SG1

Damage isn't too bad on Amazon..

I've come off a jetski at 70km/h wearing those and still have them :thumbup:

My everday wear sunnies are Nike Tarj Classics. Have been buying these for over 10yrs now. Hard to find sunnies that completely cover everything, no gaps underneath etc. These do the job perfectly.

I also have a pair of Wiley X XL-1's for when I need a little more protection.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  14. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

I have a big face, big nose, big features - so RayBans generally look to small on me. I also have pretty sensitive eyes to glare, and spend most of my day on the road... so I have 2 pairs of Oakleys - kinda like this style.

15. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

I am similar yet different - small nose but wide head, struggle to find sunglasses that are wide enough without hurting the sides of my head.

16. apsilon

apsilon Member

Yep, big head here too so finding things that fit comfortably is a PITA. A lot of brands/styles are made for pea size heads it seems. Can't imagine having to find new ones every week/month.

I must be doing something wrong though as I don't go through sunnies. I've had my Oakley XMetal Juliets for ages, 15 years? More? I've also still got my Rayban Aviators that I had prior to the Oakley. They've got to be at least 25 years old.

The Raybans aren't in the best shape having been sat on numerous time etc so they're just my throw around pair now and the Oakleys have been in for 2 services in their life (last one earlier this year and there won't be any more as they're out of replacement parts now so sent me a few extra pairs of the nose and ear pieces).

Did just buy some cheap ones from a booth at local shops but only got those for a costume party I've got coming up. Ironically they fit really well and are comfortable unlike most.

17. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

18. WJR

WJR (Banned or Deleted)

I just got a pair of Oakley fuel cell off ebay and got some prescription lenses from OPSM....worked out about $520 all up so not too bad and they fit my head well.

I used them for a week or 2 while waiting for my lenses and couldn't see shit lol

19. BigDave

BigDave Member

20. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Would have cost a bomb?