Sunon 80mm 50.6 cfm fan, is it loud?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by pkipper, Dec 3, 2002.

1. pkipper

pkipper Member

Hi guys,

I want to get a new HSF, right now I have the Thermalright SK7 in mind but not too sure which fan to get. I don't want anything loud but still provide decent performance.

Right now I am using a Delta 60mm 7000rpm fan which the noise level is 46.7±2 dba (damn loud) with the case open. The new fan I am thinking of getting is Sunon 80mm 50.6 cfm fan with a noise level of 40.5 dba. Is 6.2±2 dba decrease in noise a lot? I hate to buy the new hsf and find myself with the same noise problem again :(

Or should I just get a Sunon 80mm 39cfm fan which is quite but less cfm?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2002
  2. aftahours

aftahours News Monkey

Yes I sold my sunons cos they were too loud, I suggest you try the lower cfm fans first. :)

3. willy

willy Member

y not get a 80mm to 120 mm adaptor, but see if it will fit in your case first!!! and get a nice quiet 120mm papst fan, and :D your ready to rock!

4. Jaffa_Cree

Jaffa_Cree Member

IMO the Sunon BX is as loud as the Delta screamers

i had both and they both sounded rediculously loud
    if you want a system that doesnt sound like a jet taking off
    steer clear of them unless you can tolerate the noise

5. OP
    OP
    pkipper

pkipper Member

Um...my comp sounds just like a jet engine at the moment...

I am not sure about adapters, because people told me that they don't really do much in terms of cooling. I have thought about getting a 60mm->80mm adapter but not too sure :(

6. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

I have 6 Sunon 50.6CFM 80mm fans... They are nowhere near as "loud" as the delta screamer on my FOP38...

"Loudness" is subjective in my opinion; what i classify as loud is usually synonymous with "high pitched" i.e. I found the delta "loud" but i do not find 6 x 50CFM fans to be "loud".

If you're used to a near-silent PC; then you will think they're loud - but If you're used to a delta; you will be able to deal with the "loudness" (which is a noisy rush of air) as there is no high pitched constant vreeeeeeeeeeee.

I say get one; and look forward to the "vrrrrrrrrusshshhhhhhh" of accelerated air :D

7. OP
    OP
    pkipper

pkipper Member

Thank you Menthu_Rae, that was what i needed to know :)

The Delta on your FOP38 is the same on my CAKII-38, if you say the 5 x Sunon 50.6CFM aren't as loud, then I think I should be able to handle it.

I am used to the Delta, but just recently I opened up my case to cool my CPU a bit more, then realised how loud it really is :( I guess I will go for the Sunon 50.6 cfm :)

8. Hadamona

Hadamona Member

I'm using the Sunon 80mm 50cfm fan on an AX-7. I'm also using Asus Q-Fan which lowers the speed to around 4800rpm (normal speed is about 6000rpm). It's barely louder than a stock Celeron HS/F, or a generic PSU fan...

9. Ambush

Ambush Member

Be certain to find out which adapters will work with the non-standard fan fitment of this thermalright series of HSF's.

10. adzza

adzza New Member

my sunon ain't as noisy as my delta :)

11. antomathy

antomathy Member

im running 4x sunon 80mm fans, at about 5-7volts they are still pretty loud. no where near as loud as they are at 12volts.

as soon as water cooling comes in, im throwing the out the door.

12. OP
    OP
    pkipper

pkipper Member

No, not out the door, throw them to me :)

13. antomathy

antomathy Member

14. noddy

noddy Member

With regards to the fan adapters, theyre not worth it. I had a 120mm -> 80mm with a 108cfm sunon all ontop of an AX7, and the performance was poor. The noise wasnt worth it, and i sold all that and went back to my Zalman cooler.

15. willy

willy Member

I would think othe rwize, the 120mm sunons, have plenty of push power, so performance should of been GREAT!!!! ive currently got alpha pal8045 with a 120 papst fan 50cfm, the thing is dead silent, cools bloddy well!:D

16. Mattmedia

Mattmedia Member

6 decibels will mean that it is 2^1 times louder.... 2

But yeah its all about the size of the fan aswell, like if you had a 6 cm fan producing the same amount of noise (Db rating) as a 12 cm fan, the 6cm will be a higher pitched noise, were as the 12cm will be a boomier noise (is that a word?) because of the fins length.

Corrections

Last edited: Dec 5, 2002
  17. OP
    OP
    pkipper

pkipper Member

Excellent explaination Mattmedia :)

I was thinking the same too. I just didn't see how the 80mm fan could generate the same high pitch sound like the 60mm Delta fan I have now.

18. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

sorry, but each three dB difference is twice as loud. so 6dB is 4 times louder.

as another example, my TT smart 2 is supposed to be 17dB @1300 rpm and 48dB @5000. That being a 31dB difference is ~ 10 lots of 3dB, = 2^10 times louder = 1024 times louder

lucky it runs at about 2200 most of the time.

as for frequencies - I will take your word for it.

19. Sephir0th

Sephir0th Member

i have some loud fans in my case but what i have is my delta and 120mm 108cfm sunon and 80mm 50cfm sunon on a 7/12v switch.
    so my case is still reasonably loud, but not screaming. I prefer the low pitch sound of 120mm fans (i have 3) than the high pitch of 60 or 80mm fans.

20. Mattmedia

Mattmedia Member

mmm.. thats the second time i have heard that....

i have been assuming off what my physics teacher told me. he said that every 10 db is 10 times louder... meh..

thanks for clearing that up..
    Mattmedia