Sunrise - Help me choose!

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by kryzak260, Apr 22, 2012.

1. kryzak260

kryzak260 Member

Hi Guys,

I have a friend that got married today, and as my gift to them, i wanted to get a shot of the sunrise this morning which i will have printed and framed (or stretched canvas). I have narrowed it down to two photos that myself and my partner like but cant decide between them. Im leaning toward the long exposure one, because it feels more dynamic and more like something i would put on my wall, whereas my partner likes the other shot but cant tell me why.

[​IMG]
    Matilda Bay Sunrise by Michael Tingey, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    10-Stop Matilsa Bay Sunrise by Michael Tingey, on Flickr

What do you think? And which framing method do you think suits these images best (print and frame, or stretched canvas, or other)?

Cheers,
    Michael

2. a1ring23

a1ring23 Member

I like the feel of #2 better but don't like the vignetting - not suited to landscapes IMO, but that's a very personal thing

3. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

I agree, #2 without the vignetting imo. And I might just crop off that building on the far left hand edge of the photo if it was me.

In terms of framing, I'm a fan of proper framing behind glass.. canvas has only gotten popular because people can blow up low detail digital shots into a large size and you don't see the lack of detail on canvas as much because of the coarse texture.

4. ElBeasto

ElBeasto Member

The second one definitely for me too.

5. Zee

Zee Member

+1 to all the above.

Z...

6. MotoJohnno

MotoJohnno Member

The second one, easily.

7. OP
    OP
    kryzak260

kryzak260 Member

Thanks guys.

I actually meant to crop off that building on the left and forgot about it! I will see what I can do about the vignette also. I didnt put it in there in post, it's how to photo came out. It was still a reasonably dark scene at that point, and with the 10 stop ND on it metered for the sunset, the edges came out quite dark.

Cheers,
    Michael

8. beLarge

beLarge Member

The second is the pick

9. broccoli

broccoli Member

I like the first one, don't like the second at all.

10. OP
    OP
    kryzak260

kryzak260 Member

11. Zee

Zee Member

I think that looks better.

Z...

12. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Yep, second one, second process. No brainer.

13. a1ring23

a1ring23 Member

Agreed with above - much better.

14. lothloriel

lothloriel Member

The latest update is quite nice. Very clean and simple.

15. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Can you pull out the lens distortion? The way all the masts tilt into the middle distracts me.

FWIW I prefer the first shot with the nice sharp rigging and without the blurry clouds.

16. jastormont

jastormont Member

I would go glass frame over the canvas as I think it will last longer and look better if done properly.

Also like your reprocessed 2nd shot the best. :)

17. juppy

juppy Member

Nice shots and I also prefer the second image without vignetting. However I would use caution when it comes to choosing the size of the image and framing. It may be best to go with a smaller image, well framed in a quality timber frame rather than a large canvas image. The reason being is that a large image can really dominate the room and might not suit their tastes or decor if its too large.

I think wall art is a very personal thing and you always need to be cautious when purchasing/selecting for someone else. A smaller image allows them the freedom to put it on display on whatever wall they choose without fear of offending you if its not to their taste, a large image restricts them to large walls only which may force them to put it somewhere they dont really want it.

In saying that, they will probably love the image and the thought that went into it, just keep in mind what I've said though.

Also, a printed canvas will probably date a lot faster than a framed photo which is perhaps more timeless.

18. OP
    OP
    kryzak260

kryzak260 Member

Thanks for the comments guys.

I am going to go with the long exposure image de-vignetted as a 24x16" canvas, for reasons that juppy mentioned above. While i would probably print this at 40" wide or bigger because i have the perfect wall for it, i agree that it needs to be smaller to give flexibility in placement. Im going to go for canvas, because it fits the budget, where a good quality framed print would unfortunately tip it over.

The friend is actually an amateur photographer also, so I think they will appreciate the image itself as much as or more than the physical print.

19. juppy

juppy Member

Could you possibly get a nice "stock" frame and frame it up yourself rather than use a professional framing service? You might be able to find something that looks the part and matches the size image you want to print at without breaking the budget. Even if you have to get a custom mat board cut that may still save you a considerable amount.