Supanova 2012

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Shane T W, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Shane T W

Shane T W Member

Supanova was on Saturday and Sunday however I only went on Saturday since I had to study for exams. Even then didn't really feel like taking much photos since I was just there to mingle and catch up with friends. There wasn't really much that caught my eye either or maybe it was the lack of sleep. The terrible weather on Saturday didn't really help either.

[​IMG]
    Supanova_2012_Booths_01 by Shazzsteel, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Supanova_2012_Cosplayers_03 by Shazzsteel, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Supanova_2012_Cosplayers_04 by Shazzsteel, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Supanova_2012_Cosplayers_05 by Shazzsteel, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Supanova_2012_Cosplayers_06 by Shazzsteel, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Supanova_2012_Cosplayers_07 by Shazzsteel, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Supanova_2012_Cosplayers_08 by Shazzsteel, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Supanova_2012_Cosplayers_10 by Shazzsteel, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Supanova_2012_Cosplayers_11 by Shazzsteel, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Supanova_2012_Cosplayers_12 by Shazzsteel, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Supanova_2012_Cosplayers_14 by Shazzsteel, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Supanova_2012_Cosplayers_15 by Shazzsteel, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Supanova_2012_Cosplayers_17 by Shazzsteel, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Supanova_2012_Cosplayers_18 by Shazzsteel, on Flickr

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  2. spectre257

spectre257 Member

#10 takes the cake too bad the blood doesn't look more realistic but that expression:D

3. Goobers

Goobers Member

Pretty sure I saw you there, did you have a mate hole an umbrella on a stand for some of these.

4. OP
    OP
    Shane T W

Shane T W Member

Yeah, the pose was the icing on the cake for me. :lol:

Didn't have an umbrella but was walking around with the person in #6 the entire day. I was the sleepy guy in a black and white tee :p

5. kwax

kwax Member

did you see the chick fall through the stage? Big lol but then it was sweet that everyone was nice about it and wanting her to re-do it later.

Was supanova always this busy? I dont remember it being THAT packed. Alot of bad BO was in the air. Some of these nerds and geeks gotta check themselves. my eyes were burning.

I brought along my camera too but didnt feel an urge to capture anything..guess its cause i dont think its really worth the effort(fuk i have shitty attitude these days about photography =\ ) PLUS see'ing all the creepy nerd guys continaully asking hot girls for a photo was a lil off putting.

Saw a few guys with some very serious set-ups. Spotted 1 oldish guy with 2 bodies,,all sort of flash attachments and shit,brakets and snoots and crap looked overkill lol.

I like your iron man shot.

6. kwax

kwax Member

where u asian guy sitting behind reserved seats with a camera on a light stand?

7. Goobers

Goobers Member

Any objections to hijacking your thread to add some supernova photos.

8. OP
    OP
    Shane T W

Shane T W Member

Yeah, I was the asian guy in the front row during the same performance where the girl fell through the back of the stage. I hung around for Red vs Blue panel where I got to ask Burnie the last question. :p

Yeah there were a few strange odors here and there, good thing I pumped myself with deodorant before I left the house.

You get elder men taking photos at conventions like that although it's pretty bad overseas. From what I observed most of them seemed like avid photographers taking photos for legitimate reasons but who am I to judge.

Yeah, I know how you feel. Just have to find something to motivate yourself I guess. Make it fun, not a chore.

There were a few people with serious setups here and there but I would have done so myself but prefer the 'guerrilla' photographer approach since I don't have any assistant resulting in me traveling as light as possible.

Didn't have a light stand.

I'd love to see the photos since I didn't really take as many as I would have like to. Add as much as you want! :)

9. kwax

kwax Member

ahhh yeah i remember seeing you now :D so wait. did u have media pass to sit in that area?

10. OP
    OP
    Shane T W

Shane T W Member

Nope. Just asked one of the attendants politely although the guy next to me did have one.

11. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Shane are some of the photo's white balance a bit off to you ?

I was roaming on Saturday. It was really packed. Time to open the Dome and suck the bad air out.
    My photos -> http://www.flickr.com/photos/avaery/sets/72157630144895206/

Hung around a group of cosplayers i met last year most of the day, notably Armored Heaven store. :thumbup:

Iron Man/Iron Mate is Duane Hart http://duanehart.net/index.html

Also check out Andy Wana and whatabigcamera.com :) Love their shots too.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  12. OP
    OP
    Shane T W

Shane T W Member

Yup, the white balance was intended though but may appear slightly different to what I intended to be because the monitor I'm using is pretty terrible. But even then it shouldn't differ too much.

Yeah the place was shoulder to shoulder in the on the first day for the early half or so. I already took a good look at your album and you definitely caught more of the sights and sounds then me. :p

Damn, if I knew where you were hanging around I would have popped by and said hello.

I've seen that Ironman a few times. He's probably the best Ironman Sydney (or even Australia) has to offer. It's uncanny how he looks like him too.

13. spectre257

spectre257 Member

A little off topic but is anyone going to SMASH! this year?

14. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

I might loiter outside but dont think i'll go in. I found it pretty average last year.

I may borrow a nicer telephoto lens for the cosplay competition this year though, sit more to the middle and shoot from further back. I have some shots of the con from last year with a cheap tamron telephoto, did ok but lots of noise :|

The light is better outside (if it doesnt rain) so you'll get better cosplay shots outside with the darling harbour background

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Costumes are incredible. Very nice shots also to compliment :thumbup:

16. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

The cosplayers are cute. Nice shot.

17. dexx

dexx Member

Agreed! I went to the Perth one a couple of years ago and again on Saturday. The venue and number of exhibitors looked about the same. But i swear there were 4 times as many attenders this year! They really need a bigger venue. It was so packed that you could barely move, let alone take your time to look at stuff.

On a positive note, the crowd was in a good mood and 50% of them were in costume.

18. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

Very nice shots OP!

I went to the Perth one last weekend... first time going to supanova + first time photographing people + lots of people + no flash = bad photos :(

19. OP
    OP
    Shane T W

Shane T W Member

Thanks guys! :D

Wish I could see the Supanova in Perth for myself. I keep getting the impression its better than the one in Sydney.

Won't be going to the upcoming SMASH but will be attending the similar cons in Singapore due to my extended stay. Looking forward to seeing pics of SMASH though since I'll be missing it. :(

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  20. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Captain Jack Sparrow was the highlight for me. He wsa such a good actor on the day. He even nailed the camp walk, and everything :p

The Mass Effect couple were well dressed too.

Oh and this little 4' tall kid in Predator getup. Will have to check my photos to see if I have any good ones.