1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Super Easy Apricot Chicken

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by TheWedgie, Apr 7, 2011.

1. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Preparation Time: 5-10 mins
    Cooking Time: 45-60 mins (depends on your oven)

Ingredients:
    405ml Apricot Nectar (it's near the juices, took me ages to find it the first time!)
    825g Apricot Halves
    ~1kg Chicken Breasts.
    2 packets of French Onion Soup (powder)

Method:
    Slice the chicken into chunks. Size depends on how you like them - TheWife prefers larger pieces, this batch is a bit smaller for speed of cooking.

Click to view full size!

Mix apricot nectar and both packets of french onion soup in a jug. (forgot the pic of this, sorry!)
    Pour apricot mix onto chicken.
    Drain juice from apricots (and drink, although you might want to chuck it in the fridge first), and add the apricots to the chicken, nectar and soup mix.
    If you can, get most of the chicken and apricots under the nectar mix. It's not critical though as you stir it when cooking.

Click to view full size!

Cover with alfoil and place in oven for 45-60 minutes, depending on your oven and the size of the chicken chunks. As an example, this batch will probably take 45-50 mins.
    Don't forget to stir it a couple of times during the cooking, so the chicken that's exposed gets pushed under the apricoty goodness.

Serve on rice, or with steamed veggies. (No pics of that yet as it's only just gone in the oven!)

I like this in particular as it's REALLY quick and easy to make, and will freeze/microwave well, so it's a regular feature on our menu as both TheWife and I are shift workers, so a container of this is really easy to chuck in the work bag for crib!

2. tailspin

tailspin Member

Back to the 70's!

3. Chif

Chif Member

I used to have this for dinner when I was a kid. Is sooo yum with rice. Had forgotten all about it tbh. Thank's for the reminder, i'll try sometime soon :D

Although I'm not all that keen on apricots, i'd probably use half the amount of apricot. Is there any alternative I could use instead?

4. death

death Member

sounds interesting but possibly a bit sweet?

I'm guessing peaches or plums would work.

5. lethoso

lethoso Member

Apricot chicken is indeed pretty tasty :) Using dried apricots (angas park, not the crappy flavourless homebrand ones) gives you a much stronger apricot flavour (if that's what you're after).

6. GrueHunter

GrueHunter Member

Diced chicken thighs, a bottle of Mrs Ball's Chutney, enough instant chicken stock to make it saucy, a packet of French onion soup mix :D

7. dav3

dav3 Member

Haven't had this in years! Will definitely give it a shot, may even fire up the slow cooker and see what happens :D

8. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

:thumbup::thumbup:
    Yes years indeed ... my mother used to do this exact same recipe with chicken legs (obviously cooked longer) will give this a go again :thumbup:

9. OP
    OP
    TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

So yeah, forgot to take a 'cooked' photo of this, and it's all gone!

Will take one next time I cook it :lol:

10. PostModern

PostModern Angry Brewer

And stay there! Fruit and meat... urgh!

11. broccoli

broccoli Member

It's a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure that my mum just made it with the nectar and the soup mix, no fruit pieces. I don't like stewed apricots either and I'm pretty sure I'd have remembered having to eat them when I was a kid.