1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Super Nintendo World - Theme Park Japan 2020 August

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by phi, Jul 7, 2020.

1. phi

phi Member

Wow i want to go to this theme park so much!!! Anyone else interested!!

info: https://www.usj.co.jp/e/nintendo/

Super Nintendo World is an upcoming theme park area under construction at Universal Studios Japan, which will open in Autumn 2020. Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal's Epic Universe. The theme park is based on Nintendo video game franchises such as Super Mario.

Development
    Following several years of declining gaming revenue and console market share, Nintendo sought avenues to leverage and develop its intellectual properties, and so entered a theme park partnership with Universal Parks & Resorts. The partnership, announced in May 2015 and detailed the next year, would use Mario and other Nintendo franchises as themes in dedicated areas of Universal theme parks. The ¥40 billion ($351 million U.S.) collaboration built for Universal Studios Japan in Osaka is similar in scale to Universal's investment in the Harry Potter franchise.

Locations
    Construction on the initial theme park land in Osaka began in June 2017 with a groundbreaking ceremony. The opening was planned for completion in time for the 2020 Summer Olympics, before the event was delayed to 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic in Japan. Two rides have been confirmed for this version of the land: one ride will be themed on Yoshi and the other will be based on Mario Kart. On January 24, 2020, Universal confirmed that a Super Nintendo World themed area would be included in the Epic Universe park for Universal Orlando Resort.

Future locations

There are plans to bring Super Nintendo World to Universal Studios Singapore, but no timeframe has been announced. The lack of space might also be of concern. There are also plans to bring Nintendo attractions to Universal Studios Hollywood, but no other information is known. Construction work has started in the northwestern part of the park. Rides will differ across each instance of the park.

Super Nintendo World Looks Almost Ready to Open - Rumor Update

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    JSmithDTV and Nethiuz like this.
  2. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Hot damn yes, i just don't know when i can get back to Japan, hopefully early 2021 for snowboarding.

3. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

looks really small from the videos.. but still a definite spot i'll be going to once Covid decides to not kill half the world

4. power

power Member

I wonder if you can meet Super Nintendo Chalmers there?

[​IMG]

JSmithDTV and Nethiuz like this.
  5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Sure. I'd rather go to a Simpsons world though : )

6. Zee

Zee Member

Talk about shit timing...

Z...

7. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

It does not look good at the moment for early 2021. One should expect that the cold season will trigger a 3rd infection wave.

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Indeed. Some are suggesting we won't see international travel for years yet.

9. Zee

Zee Member

Tell you what, that's a heck of a shock to the system. I somehow doubt they can hold out for years, though. I think a lot of countries are getting to the point where they'll simply need to let things open, or more will die of starvation - because that has a 100% death rate.

We can't all work online.

Z...

10. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Yeah I'd have a look if I was over that way... would be a bit of a laugh too I'd imagine. :)

JSmith

11. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I think Japan will only start letting tourists in, after a vaccine is broadly available. Maybe just in time for the Olympic games next August? I doubt.