Super Pi 32M 4Ghz efficiency thread

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by sskmercer, Mar 19, 2008.

1. shane41

shane41 Member

Flick switch to x1 bios & upgrade via usb. That should still be a fail safe way

2. Bullants

Bullants Member

Yeah I was flashing bios via USB,no go now

3. JunkDogg

JunkDogg Member

Hada quick look last night. There are new bios chips for sale on eBay for the LN2 board. Might be worth a try, don't think they were much from the US.

4. OP
    OP
    sskmercer

sskmercer Member

Not to make light of this Bullant, but glad to see i'm not the only one, a real bummer though being the LN2 board as they are so hard to bloody find.

Edit - Making some good improvements on the X79 too ATM.

5. Bullants

Bullants Member

Yeah ill look into that junkdog

I should be able to sort the impact out,think cause its so small its freezing things up a little when cold memory's,ill just prep it little different and try few different things.Have most things dialled in on the board,big mem and rtls all sorted,really think its just a matter of prepping changing few things for this lite board

6. shane41

shane41 Member

What are the bios chips ?? Linky ??
    Are they drop in socket OR soldered on pcb type.

Just ask if they're a general type manufactured,
    then flash with bios programmer & good for go :thumbup:

7. OP
    OP
    sskmercer

sskmercer Member

Not sure if there's much left now but pretty dam happy with the time. Borked the OS so will give it another go and see if there is much left. Have found there's real fine line between getting more MHz or tighter timings and which works quicker.

sskmercer - 7M 52.031 {i7-4930K}, Ram @ 1423.9 9-12-12-110-1T - Asus Rampage IV Black ED

[​IMG]

PS I'll update OP later today.

8. Bullants

Bullants Member

Think they soldered dude

Looking good Scott :thumbup:

9. OP
    OP
    sskmercer

sskmercer Member

Think i'm done for now with X79 @40x and have some fun with other benchies/speeds. I think I could improve a little but volts are limited to 2.1v on the RAM even though it shows 2.4v in the options, I just can't select higher. So below is my timings for my best score of 7.52.031, then a 7.52.547 which was a little slower on MHZ but tighter timings then lastly a 7.53.234, which was one step slower but tighter again. Overall very happy with the results and only a little behind some of the top guys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit - Would running just Dual channel help at all? Lastly can I mix my PI's that I have which are 2200's and 2300's. I know in theory it would run at the slower speeds, but thought I might be able to get these tighter?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  10. headin2001

headin2001 Member

I found quad channel faster on my 3930k, but it's possible that running dual may be faster, and I couldn't get anything with Waza to make any difference.

Try it, you never know. It's half the fun. Fast PSC will be better than Samsungs. You can mix but the RIVBE is very particular with ram, make sure it's tightening the RTL's correctly, I had all sorts of problems with mixed sticks but got there in the end.

Samsungs will be easier in 3d benching, but PSC are still better @ 2600+.

11. OP
    OP
    sskmercer

sskmercer Member

Cheers Daryl. Just having a go for some boints ATM @49x and all is good, but soon as I go to 50X (with various BCLK speeds) I keep getting 50 BSOD's, so now just messing with Auto timings to see what happens. I did a 6.35.625, then a 6.32 with some Waz' and the mofo froze when I opened CPUz argh.

Seeing you had the RIVEBE do you know why you can't go over 2.135v on the DRAM? Is it a setting somewhere that allows you to go higher?

12. headin2001

headin2001 Member

Never went that high. Check in the power settings and make sure you have the memory power setting set to 130%

13. Bullants

Bullants Member

Little update,should see another .600 drop on 4ghz once I push little harder like the 5ghz run :)

Bullant - 7M 59.031 {i7-2600K}, Ram @ 1123~ 6-9-6-18 Gigabyte UP4Th

[​IMG]

Little 5Ghz run,pushing pretty hard on this run :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  14. Jimba86

Jimba86 Member

first stock test on the new W3570.

using the R3E..:D

[​IMG]

going to clock to 4ghz for a sun to this thread once I figure out the R3E bios.

that screenshot was painfully done using keyboard mouse controls..:eek::shock::weirdo:

15. Bullants

Bullants Member

Some 2300 Pi memory's on cold,no waza,with waza I get 4 sec faster so not to bad for these memory's

[​IMG]

16. JunkDogg

JunkDogg Member

Today and packed up my Z97-OCF, a 4790k, my XP HDD and some PSC and went down to Bullant's for a few hours as he had nothing else to do. :p

So after my constant questioning and his brilliant guidance, I got this together.

[​IMG]

So a big thanks to the memory master Bullant, as without the things I've learnt off you the passed couple of times I've been down there I would never have gotten down this low. Now to continue and get it better. Thanks mate. :thumbup:

Will be updating bios tonight and doing some runs here by myself, which could result in all sorts of nasties. :lol:

I got a 5Ghz run in as well, which I'll cross post over at HWBOT.

[​IMG]

17. Bullants

Bullants Member

Glad you enjoyed it mate,the more you do it the easier it becomes,nice start :thumbup:

18. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Pwoarrrrrrr. Nice work JD:thumbup:

Here I am doing slow as XTU runs.......:Paranoid:

19. JunkDogg

JunkDogg Member

Thanks Paulie.

Gave it bit more of a nudge tonight. Updated the bios and tried some Transcend PSC's I have here. Not as good as the Pi's, but I think given time and me figuring out more of what effects what they could go tighter.

7-11-7-28@2750
    [​IMG]

6-11-7-28@2750
    [​IMG]

8-11-8-28@2900
    [​IMG]
    Pictured went funny for some reason. Was just doing this more for fun than anything. Wanted to see max freq. I actually got them to boot at 3000, just wouldn't have a bar of 32m at all. :lol:

Obligatory Icy pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Bullants

Bullants Member

Nice dude,always good idea to run a temp on the memory's to dude helps a lot to see what is happening :thumbup: