Supermicro Spy Chips

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Agg, Oct 9, 2018.

1. power

power Member

why?

you put it where it needs to be. how many people are looking at a board and saying that doesn't look right - there's thousands of components that most people have nfi what they are or do.

fredhoon likes this.
  2. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

why? because it would be years before anyone found it. server boards will be inspected after failures - at least early on in the revisions.

3. power

power Member

it already is years.

it was not found through physical inspection but suspicious network activity.

(if it exists).

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What's more worrying, this or the millions of cheap ipcams sending info back to china as we speak : p

l_ QuadX_l likes this.
  5. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

heh, their china firewall must have some massive throughput

6. cvidler

cvidler Member

Easy when the inbound ruleset is

allow any any.

7. power

power Member

this made me laugh, i've always maintained that Supermicro boards are shit.

https://arstechnica.com/information...-ridden-why-would-hackers-ever-need-implants/

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  8. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Which really goes back to the point of 'why would you even bother doing a hardware implant when the software is so shit'

pH@tTm@N likes this.
  9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

You want to drum up rhetoric with uneducated masses in the US to further the "trade war".

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Chinese Government? : )

11. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

I think one of the follow up clarification articles suggested it went far wider than supermicro alone in terms of hardware. I don't doubt something has happened, but I don't think the real truth have been revealed.

12. koopz

koopz Member

we had very concerned randoms occasionally popping up at from time to time at a computer store I once worked at back in the 2000s. These peeps weren't so happy to hang around and talk shop however, which seemed odd. Why suggest a security problem without being a part of the solution - which some of us that were well versed in *nix at the time would be happy to discuss and work on?

still - I couldn't respect any of our trainees at work ( or even you Geoff ; )if they weren't able to call me out my current pr0n watching history habits. It's not like I go out of my way to hide it.

there is a fine line between invasion and inspection today.

my truth that I believe is that that we permit ourselves to both invasion and inspection as we choose to knowingly walk in front of camera systems, use Apps that we don't understand 100%..

At the most exciting level, we're mostly boring people walking down the street in a the same high res CCTV camera shot of someone who recently / was soon to commit a crime, and more often than not we'll never here about it from the police

I'm more concerned about service outages that lead to gap in this kind of fluid and well designed process. They might be back end server or cloud based, communication based where the backup broadband connection did not kick in quickly enough to continue the high res video feed, if at all... or simply be a record failure for an old high res video stream that I need to pull up from 3 months ago. Or... call center based... which is just a dead end for information to flow correctly.

there truly are greater concerns out there to focus upon.. and...

what was the question again?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  13. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

you really need to lay off the pipe koopz, 2 minutes of my life I'm never getting back.

14. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Performance and reliability wise, they're great.

Security wise, they're terrible. This is why we use them at scale, don't allow them to talk to the Internet, and physically disconnect all of their IPMI links.

15. power

power Member

i'll give you performance but not stability or reliability.

16. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Got lots of them, running great, oldest are well over 5 years doing typical 24 x 7 number crunching.

if you're got shit power, you'll have a shit experience.

17. Unframed

Unframed Member

I ran 50 of the 36bay SuperMicros for 3 years, 24/7 cloud storage. Never replaced more than a stick of RAM or a few drives.

18. power

power Member

then maybe i need to take another look at them!

Unframed likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

20. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Seems like a vendetta against Supermicro, wonder if any of the reporters family was sacked by Supermicro in the last 5 years.

As Apple security head says, a hardware chip is there forever and the person who did it would have done it knowing it is there to be found and dam any consequences.

Also in an organisation like Apple or AWS when such a chip is found, a storm of emails would go around different departments and it would be impossible to hide internally nor externally as Apple or AWS would have emailed thridparties to verify what it was etc etc

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018