Supermicro Spy Chips

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Agg, Oct 9, 2018.

1. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

FFS Bloomberg are now #FAKENEWS for real reals!

2. ice_cool

ice_cool Member

I like this part of the Bloomberg response, where they have pretty much admitted to trying to be fear mongering:
    (My emphasis) That would be like having a headline "Train Disaster", then having a photo of a derailed train, with a little disclaimer saying "Train broke down this morning causing a delay"

Whether it is ultimately true or not, I think they have not gone about it in a way that showcases journalistic best practice.

3. pacon

pacon Member

4. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Supermicro have announced that an independent audit has apparently found no evidence of dodgy hardware.

"As we have stated repeatedly since these allegations were reported, no government agency has ever informed us that it has found malicious hardware on our products," Supermicro's executives said. "No customer has ever informed us that it found malicious hardware on our products; and we have never seen any evidence of malicious hardware on our products. Today’s announcement should lay to rest the unwarranted accusations made about Supermicro’s motherboards."

5. ae00711

ae00711 Member

no surprise, never believed it anyway. Journalists responsible should cop it imo

6. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

SM was trading at 21 USD a share, dipped to 12 then further dropped to 11 and is only now finally trading at 15 a share.
    https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/smci

They've had a bumpy past (3yr) - Either way, people probably sold at $22, bought at 11 or 12 a share and have made money with valuation now heading towards a stable? $16

7. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Refer to my first post in this thread, successfully planted bit of propaganda that. The resulting findings of it being a load of bullshit haven't gotten anywhere near as much attention in the media as the original outlandish claims did.