Suppliers of replacement Laptop DC jacks

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by terrabyte, Jun 8, 2021.

1. terrabyte

terrabyte Member

Bit of an odd question and not quite the right forum for it, but I'm also interested if anyone has a solution on how to get these charging jacks to fit.

Long story short, repairing a bunch of laptops for a school with damaged DC power jacks. HP x360 G1 EE laptops. Ordered some replacement power jacks and their legs are too damn short. Issue is, every single supplier I can find has these and lists it as the correct part?

This one, very handy French supplier shows the correct part https://motech.fr/en/10664/computer-laptop-dc-power-jack-hp-probook-x360-11-g1-ee.html

Here's a couple of pics, comparing them and one on a board showing the height difference.

[​IMG]

Original:
    [​IMG]

Replacement:
    [​IMG]

Anyone have any suggestions on a possible way these jacks are supposed to work? Or any place I can try and get the correct ones? Thanks heaps, clutching at straws here :(

2. mareke

mareke Member

Try eBay.

3. OP
    OP
    terrabyte

terrabyte Member

I have 3 sets from eBay, all the incorrect "short leg" version. Every other jack I can find on eBay, aliexpress, amazon all seem to be the same.

Anyone had any experience, lengthening a set of legs by a few mm and then perhaps adding some glue for reinforcement?

4. MrSquiggle

MrSquiggle Member

Wow! Looking at the price on that French site (~$AUD60) made the obvious answer a bit harder to jump at!

Commiserations, can't help but do you recall the role of Vogons in Hitchhiker's Guide (completely irrelevant to achieving a result but may help your sanity!)

5. i_trin

i_trin Member

Phinko Technology in Melbourne

the legs should be directly mounted to pcb. Otherwise they will just give you grief.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  6. OP
    OP
    terrabyte

terrabyte Member

There's are the short leg type also :(. I'll send them a message anyway

7. OP
    OP
    terrabyte

terrabyte Member

Yeah :(. They only list having 3 of them as well! Fucking HP :(. Just trying to help a primary school out with some affordable repairs as most of their fleet has these broken power jacks and they're only <3 years old.

8. MrSquiggle

MrSquiggle Member

Planned obsolescence taken a bit far or just crappy engineering? Who knows, but I remember how revered HP was before they started dicking around in 'IT' (Hint: A few generations ago!)

9. OP
    OP
    terrabyte

terrabyte Member

I'd say crappy engineering. By the sounds of it, this "long leg" version was only found in the earlier versions of this laptop only and then phased out in later revisions and models. Probably why they're all broken. The new "short leg" version probably has a lot less flex.

10. MrSquiggle

MrSquiggle Member

Times like these that wireless charging sounds like a good idea. Add time travel and problem solved!

terrabyte likes this.
  11. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Mebbe the schools need to teach the Young 'Uns to take more care of their goodies as well, unless you're repairing the ones they've issued to the Teachers of course.

And unfortunately "sounds" is the operative word there, until you can get wireless charging that'll feed multiple amps at the necessary 19-odd volts internally to charge the battery pack up....

But on your actual problem there - mebbe try lappy recyclers and cannibalise what you need out of dead ones?

I'd also hit up any/all electronics recyclers and the drop-off shops with the "Need Bits Out Of Anything For A Local School" and see what else you could acquire.

Other places to try - your local Vinnies etc and ask them to keep any dead ones they get given aside for you.

Else the Usual Suspects for that type of stuff would be Alibaba etc.

Extreme Desperation - get the school Headmaster to contact HP Service directly and get them to beg nicely?

12. pduthie_au

pduthie_au Member

APAC notebooks in Melbourne might be worth a try

13. MrSquiggle

MrSquiggle Member

Nice sentiment but fails first criteria: Did it come out of their megre pocket money? (Probably also applicable to teachers!)