1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Surface Pro 3 - spends 10mins+ at the boot screen, then boots?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by fleetfeather, May 4, 2020.

1. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Hi all,

Got a really strange problem going on here. One day over a week ago, my SP3 went from working fine, to having a mighty tough time booting.

When hitting the power button, the Surface splash screen (BIOS initiation screen equivalent to most desktops?) will display for well over 10 minutes. Initially, I thought it was some sort of BIOS brick situation, but no, after >10mins, the W10 spinning logo appears, and the SP3 boots up within 5-7 seconds as usual.

Upon getting to the desktop, things are mostly fine, except for some strange issue where the screen seems to think I'm hitting the touch screen digitiser for a few seconds. Unplugging and plugging the keyboard usually fixes this though, and it's back to working 100% normal... Everything works fine, until I try to restart the device, then the same thing happens all over again!

I can get into the SP3's very limited bios, and changing the boot order has no impact on the 10min stalling.I tried to boot into recovery using a recovery USB and do a Repair, but hitting the Repair button kicks me back to the boot screen for the usual 10mins instead of initiating the repair process. I did a refresh of the system from within W10 while keeping my personal files, and it had no impact.

Any thoughts? I'm so lost!

2. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

My MIL had this issue before realising the battery was overheating. If it's hardware related, forget it. Buy something decent at half the price and chalk it up to a learning experience.

3. slavewone

slavewone Member

Is it possible the bios is seeing the phantom presses too and waiting for an input until it times out and finishes the boot?

4. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

This happened to me a few years back, turns out I'd put the microSD card from my rpi into it and forgot about it. Once I took it out, happy days.

5. OP
    OP
    fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

First of all, thank you all for the replies thus far!

Wow, that's an explanation out of left field! How did you come to that conclusion?? Yeah if this issue does end up being hardware, surface's are too hard/costly to service so I'll probably have to bail on the device...

That's an interesting idea. I'll explore if I can somehow disable the digitiser at the pre-windows level. It must have some pretty low-level support since the touchscreen can register inputs at the BIOS screen though!

Sadly, I don't have a microSD in the slot :(

6. philquad

philquad Member

im having the same problem with a mates laptop, & only since i put a new ssd (had a spinner in it) & a clean from boot win 10.
    maybe its update related, i intend to do a format & install again to see.

7. koopz

koopz Member

It's a tablet - treat like a mobile phone that fails.

If the unit is out of warranty you will need to replace it.

Most MS Surface tech is cheap tech - the units are not made to live 3-10yrs.

Consumers will need to replace them with new ones

// I don't like being the bringer of bad news here.

8. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Surface Pro 3's were 2014 ish (I'm still using one I bought then). While the performance is still pretty impressive from a machine from that era, especially ones with SSDs, they are well and truly out of warranty, although I still see updates come through every now and again so still supported.

Interestingly, I stumbled over this which seems to say maybe it is the random touch input causing your issues:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/6pk66p/can_you_disable_the_touchscreen_in_bios_surface/

9. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

The surface pros have a common problem where if the screen is damaged or cracked or something causes the digitiser to register phantom touches, the boot up will freeze and not continue (as someone has mentioned here earlier)
    Given you've mentioned phantom touches, I would guess this is the problem during startup and causing a delay.

When I had phantom touches problem with an sp3. I used to be able to get it to start by holding the touchscreen in a particular spot during the boot and then when the OS was loaded, I had disabled the touchscreen so I could use the keyboard from there.

Try holding down the touchscreen in various places during boot and see if it helps.

10. flain

flain Member

So I had a very similar problem with my surface pro 3 which only seemed to happen to me in the Qantas airport lounge. I also had touch screen issues with phantom touches. Turned out the CFL lights in the Sydney Qantas lounge being directly overhead caused all the issues, for some reason they cause problems with the touch screen on surface pro 3s.

koopz likes this.
  11. koopz

koopz Member

flain I'm hitting that like on that purely as one of our senior management Leaders once said that our company issue iPads do not work under Airport lights.

Turns out he just didn't want to fill out the required forms and the beginning and end of each day as he travelled around Australia, NZ and Asia.

All good - the company found an amazing lass who was technology compliant... she can still fill out a basic form on her phone/iPad/tablet - any computer in fact!

She's straight out of Uni and she's only $45k a year!

There's a $six figure wage reduced down to 5! Instant win!

This is how we help clients to remove dead wood from their organisations.

Simple required daily phone/iPad Apps.

Our App is 10 years old this year.
    It's not a new thing..

I used to think that people were stupid before I found OCAU..
    Now I see that people just need some help to understand technology.

Last edited: May 8, 2020