1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Surge protector board... which one to get?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by NitroGuy, Dec 2, 2012.

1. NitroGuy

NitroGuy Member

hey guys, i've got a bunch of low powered external hard drives here as well as one laptop, a mac mini and soon to be a Q9400 PC tower. there is only one power outlet in this room. there are probably around 10 devices or so including the monitors and cable modem.

right now i'm just using a stock standard 5 powerboard which has dual adapters plugged into each one. it looks like this http://dicksmith.com.au/product/M6601/hpm-4-outlet-powerboard-twin-pack, but it has dual adapters plugged in on top and this is how i have 10 devices plugged in.

i was told this is dangerous. is this true?

if i get the surge protector board can i still use the dual adapters or is that still dangerous? i want to remove the external HDD's and put them somewhere else in the house, but i'll be adding a power hungry PC so i'll be using more power.

i've never looked into this before so i'd appreciate any help.

thanks.!

2. [SweN]

[SweN] Member

if the power board has overload protection, and it should, there is no danger. however it is still bad practice.

as for which one to buy? you can get one with an overly inflated price, or you can buy an average one. for what you want to do it doesnt really matter.

3. OP
    OP
    NitroGuy

NitroGuy Member

4. power

power Member

Belkin (and haggle like nobodies business on price) Lifetime warranty (it dies you get another for free) and they warrant what attaches to it.

That or Thor.

5. OP
    OP
    NitroGuy

NitroGuy Member

what about the one i posted?

6. power

power Member

what's the warranty like?

Will they replace items that are surged through it and if so up to what value?

I know H&C does things like replaced surged items but often it's less effort to never have it blown up in the first place or not pay an excess to make a claim.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  7. OP
    OP
    NitroGuy

NitroGuy Member

is the one i posted decent?

8. clockwork

clockwork Member

9. 2xCPU

2xCPU Member

Do you know of anyone who has successfully made a claim?

Personally I don't like your chances.
    it looks fine - as good as any of the cheaper boards.

10. power

power Member

You honestly think Belkin would dud people on their claims?

I have seen someone claim warranty on a board though. All surge boards will eventually expire due to how they work, the great thing about the Belkin is it's a buy once item

11. 2xCPU

2xCPU Member

I don't know.
    Do you know of anyone who has successfully made a claim? (for something plugged into a belkin board).

Given insurance companies invent phases like "act of god" to get out of paying
    I can't see why any other company would just give away money.

12. garetz

garetz Member

13. Fishface

Fishface Member

No but they require that you jump through a number of hoops before they pay out.

Most people give up.

14. 2xCPU

2xCPU Member

Its been discussed here before - it makes no difference if ten things are plugged into one board or individually plugged into ten outlets on the same house circuit.
    True - that's why they are called Surge Protectors.
    For brownouts, you need a UPS.

15. kingjam

kingjam Member

16. jumpy

jumpy Member

I've been happy with my APC Line-R, now my plasma doesn't flicker when my fridge compressor starts :thumbup: Provides surge protection and voltage regulation, also is resettable (no fuses). For not that much more than a power board, it's worth it IMO.

17. Gecko

Gecko Member

If you're basing your buying decisions on the connected equipment warranty, I would have a good read of the terms and conditions first.

18. Toobs

Toobs Member

From past experience most of these connected equipment warranties only cover your gear if you get a single huge surge which manages to take out all of the MOV's in one hit or if the board has a manufacturing defect which allows a smaller surge through.
    They will have fine print which requires you to regularly confirm that the surge protection is working (i.e. check the protected light) and some even require you to disconnect your gear from the power in the event of a thunderstorm.

Also most of them are self insurance arrangements.

19. power

power Member

just the lifetime replacement warranty seals it for me - all surge boards will die.

20. [SweN]

[SweN] Member

surge boards are a consumable item, they do not protect you against brown outs, or cycling supply.

i know plenty of people who have bought overpriced boards, yet to meet someone who has made a successful claim. might as well buy a few $900 gold plated antivirus optic fibre cables while your at it :thumbup: