Surround Sound Setup - Help

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by izequel, Apr 28, 2015.

1. izequel

izequel Member

I'm the family go-to guy for everything electronic, but i'm out of my depth here.

Family member has just moved into a house that has a theatre room with speakers built into the wall. There is a plate with all the plugs behind the TV.

Now my main question is what do I need to put in between the TV and the speakers to be able to use the surround sound? Is it just a receiver?

2. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

You need an amp/receiver, something like one of these: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/receivers/

The type of receiver you need will be based on:

What type of speakers they are (RMS, ohms)?
    How many?
    How much money do they want to spend?

3. Gaidin

Gaidin Member

Assuming its only the surround channels built into the walls you may also need to pick up a set of front speakers and a centre channel. You can just wire those directly into the amp/receiver that Sipheren has already explained you need :thumbup:

4. OP
    OP
    izequel

izequel Member

Not sure, ill be there this weekend so I'll do some more research.

Thanks for the help!

5. Zee

Zee Member

Fixed that for ya. He's in Sydney, give the guy a chance to go somewhere that can actually help him get the right stuff!

Seriously zequel, avoid Harvey, Bing and JB like the plague...
    Z...

6. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Yeah, I don't use jb for audio stuff, but figured it would be easier for the op, plus cheaper....

7. Zee

Zee Member

Uncle Steve at Eastwood Hifi is incredibly competitive - and he sells quality stuff, and will make sure you are actually buying the right product.

Basically, like me, were I to actually run a shop, not custom/automation. Except he's got at least another decade on me - and I've been in the industry for 20 years, so that says something.

Seriously - not trolling, it's really worth the effort to go see him if you're in Sydney.

Z...

8. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

That does sound good, would love to know of a place like that up here (Gold Coast).