Surveillance Camera Dilemma

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by syahrr01, Mar 6, 2015.

1. syahrr01

syahrr01 Member

There's been a spate of robberies in our area recently, and I'm looking to install a couple of cameras. Our requirement is pretty basic.
    • 2-3 cameras maximum.
    • 720p resolution minimum
    • Outdoor, bullet type cameras.
    • Decent IR range (~15m)
    • Budget ~$400

What we have:
    1. Wiring. The house was pre-wired for three analogue CCTV to a central DVR location. These are effectively a COAX cable and DC pair for each channel.
    2. NAS. I've got an old synology nas running surveillance station app. Not sure if it has enough grunt. Don't really want to pay for additional camera licenses.
    3. Server. I've got an old PC that are running 24/7 acting as a glorified squeezebox server. It's a SFF, will need an external DVR card to repurpose.

Given the tiny budget, I would prefer to leverage what we have already as much as I can. I heard Hikvision and Foscam cameras are good value but I don't want to re-wire to IP. Budget also rules out Ethernet/POE over coax converter which are quite expensive. I'm thinking that this rules out IP Cameras altogether?

Suggestions?

2. Renza

Renza Member

If you don't want to upgrade cabling to ethernet, you're not going to get 720p.

Likewise with the synology, getting a converter to IP will surely cost more than just getting the Hikvision cameras and plugging it straight into a switch.

is EoP or wifi a possibility?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  3. OP
    OP
    syahrr01

syahrr01 Member

I might have to live with lower resolution if I go down the analogue camera route.

Ethernet over Power is certainly an option. How does it work with multiple channels?

Wifi is certainly an option. I can still use the dc wiring to provide power to the cameras.

4. Renza

Renza Member

Ethernet over power will require 240v though. EoP works like a hub, so you can install one device at each camera to provide a port.

Wifi might be the easiest option here unfortunately.

5. OP
    OP
    syahrr01

syahrr01 Member

Suggestions for a good wifi IP camera?

For 2/3 channel do I really need a standalone DVR? Do I look at running iVMS or Blue Iris on a PC?

6. Renza

Renza Member

7. kieranluken

kieranluken Member

Other option is to look at AHD - runs 720P over Coax cable. Definitely going to be beyond the budget though...

8. HeXa

HeXa Member

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  9. OP
    OP
    syahrr01

syahrr01 Member

10. HeXa

HeXa Member