Suspended HDD

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Link87x, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Link87x

Link87x Member

I've been trying to decrease the temperature in my server. I've discovered that the hottest compontents are the hard drives so what I've done with one of them experimentally at the moment is suspended it in a 5.25" drive bay using zip-ties/cable-ties (or whatever you want to call them).
    Pics here:
    Left side
    Right side
    Whole drive
    Just wondering if anyone has done this or at least knows if this is safe?? My main concern is that the HDD will heat up and start melting through the cable ties... Also, if anyone has any suggestions on how to help decrease the case temperature, feel free to let me know :)

2. Daveo

Daveo Member

If you computer isn't that old, enable SMART technology on it and get HDD Thermometer. That should tell you what the tempreture of the drive is. Either that or the newest MBM5 will.

You can buy some 5 1/4 converters to sit a hard drive in there properly, but I don't know of anywhere in Brisbane, cause i don't live there.

3. OP
    OP
    Link87x

Link87x Member

The computer is a Pentium 4 2.8B with an ASUS P4P800-VM motherboard and 512Mb of RAM. I might look at getting 5.25" converters later but for the moment I don't have transport to get anywhere and am trying to work with what I've got already. I've actually got one here already but it but the HDD too far back which made it hit the power supply at the back. That's what you get for taking parts out of a 386 I suppose. SMART is enabled as far as I know, as for installing software, that can't be done, well at least, not the mentioned software anyway. This computer is my file/web server running OpenBSD in text-mode. Thanks for the suggestion anyway though. :thumbup:

4. Ronza

Ronza Member

Why not an 80mm Fan in front of the normal Drive Bays?

5. Daveo

Daveo Member

That would work. It'd keep it cool and theres a small chance of the ties melting.

6. tin

tin Member

smartctl should be able to do it apparently.
    Either that or smartd (which without looking I assume is a daemon version)

You can get all kinds of useful info from HDDs using SMART.

7. OP
    OP
    Link87x

Link87x Member

The case was 'recycled' from an AcerPower 4300 (Celeron 400 or thereabouts) so I can't just put fans in front of the 3.5" bays.
    Pics of the case here (you'll see what I mean):
    Front of server
    Top of server

I'm thinking of changing the case to a midi tower but for the moment, money's an issue so I'm trying to get by with what I've got.

Hmmm.. only a small chance? If this solution works well enough, I'll keep using it when I change to a tower case and put a 120mm in front of 3x 5.25" bays. If the cable ties are going to melt though, I'll obviously have to look at doing something else...

Is this fairly easy to do? If it is, I might look into it, otherwise I might leave it for the moment.

Thanks a lot to everyone who's replied so far for your advice :thumbup: If anyone's got anymore, let me know :D

8. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

if an 80mm cant be mounted in that gap, grab a 60mm (or the biggest that will fit) jam it in and crank it all the way up to an ultra extreme 5-6 volts. :D

HDD's dont need 10,000 CFM to keep them in operating spec, they have relatively large surface areas for the amount of heat produced, thus ANY airflow will do wonders for their temperatures.

Aeth..

9. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

ok they are plastic ties... and you need at least 150 degrees before they melt. ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

however, if you want that drive to last, fan cool it.

do it some way, any way. just do it.

10. OP
    OP
    Link87x

Link87x Member

Alright, I think I'll be keeping the cable ties then :) I'll cable tie the second drive into the bottom bay later tonight when traffic dies down to a stand-still and put an 80mm fan in front of the bays (also by cable ties ;)). Thanks for your help everyone :) Still open to anymore suggestions! :D

11. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

FAN.

oh did i say FAN?

12. OP
    OP
    Link87x

Link87x Member

Point taken and will be implemented at the next available opportunity ;)
    EDIT: forgot to mention, I'll post pics when it's done :) Then feel free to offer more advice after that if you've got any.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  13. domlebo

domlebo Member

I once had my HDD suspended on string. But this wasnt cause of temps. It was just cause i was too cheap to but a better case and didnt have enough 3 1/2 spts left

14. OP
    OP
    Link87x

Link87x Member

How'd that go? did your drive move much when you bumped or moved the case around?

15. OP
    OP
    Link87x

Link87x Member

I've now added the other hard drive to accompany the second one, again, suspended by cable ties.
    Both drives in place
    Then I moved one of the 80mm intake fans to be in front of the drives, once again, held in place by cable ties
    Fan in place
    A spare fan grill was then added to the fan to stop prying little fingers getting themselves hurt
    Shiny fan grill
    The face of the case was then put back on and now you have:
    The final result

Results: Well, both drives used to be hot to touch but now, both seem fairly cool :thumbup: :D Very happy with the results :) If anyone else has more cooling ideas for this machine though, let me know and I'll see what I can do ;) no longer looking at getting a new case so you guys have just saved me $50! thanks a tonne :D:D:D

EDIT: forgot to mentions, all pictures that were linked to on this page are being served off the computer that was in question :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  16. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

is it bad that all the piccys are not avalible as of 0728 (Adl time) tuesday morning?

17. mrees

mrees Member

Same here, no pics for me.

18. OP
    OP
    Link87x

Link87x Member

Yes... that wasn't a good thing :Paranoid: It was some problem with DynamicDNS but it's up and working again so pics are back up :) Thanks for letting me know it wasn't working, I wouldn't have found out until later tonight if you guys hadn't said anything :sick:

19. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

you arent running IIS on that are you......

20. OP
    OP
    Link87x

Link87x Member

I didn't think it was possible to run IIS on OpenBSD... I thought IIS only ran on Windows :confused: