SVP: Smooth Video Project.. 60/120hz video interpolation..

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Vladdo, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Those with a 120hz monitor should check out Smooth Video Project.

http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Main_Page

Basically it turns 24/25/30fps video and interpolates the frames (fills in the motion details) into whatever maximum refresh rate of your monitor is.

In a nutshell, if you've seen those 2000hz tvs or whatever that smooth out the picture, it's a software (and GPU accelerated) version of this.

Admittedly it does introduce some artifacting on high motion scenes, but, it doesn't add that slow mo-high mo rubberband like effect that is often witnessed on those 2000hz tvs.. It keeps the motion at a very smooth framerate.

There are a few commercial versions of the same thing but this is free. ie, Splash Pro (which doesn't even do 120hz :confused:) That said, SVP is a set of filters which do the conversion and is not a video player in itself. There's a minimal install and a full install, with the full install including Media Player Classic - Home Cinema. I'd recommend installing the full thing and including reclock (reclock syncs video and audio together so it significantly reduces tearing).

2. dragonFLAME

dragonFLAME Member

This looks interesting, I'm getting weird things happening to my videos on my old data projector. Maybe this can fix the output smoothness. The computer is quick enough but do you know the load that it creates?

Cheers

3. auApex

auApex Member

So this should theoretically work fine with 60hz monitors? It obviously wouldn't be as smooth as the 120hz monitors but should still be an improvement.

4. ChaSk

ChaSk Member

:thumbup::thumbup: Great find....looks great on a 120hz monitor highly recommend people give it a try!!!

5. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Got it to work..the only problem I have at the moment..is the green vertical line that sweeps back and forth across the video..how do I get rid of that?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  6. OP
    OP
    Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Yes, it works fine for 60hz monitors, you'd effectively double the frame rate..

Provided you have a recent cpu it shouldn't tax it too much. There's also a SVP benchmark app which will give you a rough idea on what to expect. There's a heap of options you can manually set as well, so that it doesn't hit your CPU too hard. I have a 2600k @ 4.5ghz and with 1080p content sits around 40-50% usage.

Just load up Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (it's in the SVP folder) and load up your videos in that. You should have a yellow circle with a triangle in it in your system tray. If you double click that, you can then set all the different options depending on how complex you want to make it.

Without trying to get too complicated, basically any media player that uses ffdshow to decode video streams (mpeg 1/2/4) it can smooth out frame rate. I've been trying it with Media Portal which has a TV tuner module, so i've been getting 120hz smooth tv.. looks neat :)

7. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Got it to work thanks... but I have a vertical line that sweeps back and forth across the screen..how do I get rid of that?

8. OP
    OP
    Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I don't know.. sounds like you've got a tearing test enabled, either through the SVP manager or through MPC-HC..

9. Goldfire

Goldfire Member

Been using this for quite some time now, the latest release (3.1.1) isn't as good as the 3.0.6 release - It lost it's ultra-smoothness.

Right click the tray icon > untick Tearing Test

10. m3k

m3k Member

Its kinda worrying that it uses so much processing power to interpolate video in real time, where as the tvs probably do it with some budget reduced instruction set processor that barely goes at 600mhz and probably doesn't even get hot because of how efficiently the program is..

why shouldn't my cheap notebook get more than 60fps ??

correct me if im wrong... but there are like 500dollar tvs that do this interpolation thing effortlessly, and i doubt they invested in some crazy cpu...

must just be average programming.. hence why its free

then again i probably couldn't code anything that advance so whatever :p might give it a try..

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  11. OP
    OP
    Vladdo

Vladdo Member

SD/576p content used approx 5% cpu.. HD/1080p content was using 40-50% cpu... that said, the effect on those cheap TVs look utterly abhorrent. SVP, to me, is significantly better looking.. if you're going to try using it on a cheap netbook, maybe SVP isn't what you're after. You'd primarily want to run it as a filter in conjunction with a decent HTPC setup, something where you can observe the difference in quality.

12. demowhc

demowhc Member

Nice app, wish I knew about it a year ago. I love the fluidity of frame interpolation, I even use it for gaming on the TV.

13. Troast

Troast Member

I wonder why this technology is not more used. Surely if they brought out video cards that do 60 fps and then interpolate the other 60 to get 120fps would be a good idea and popular? Then games could look much better because the aim is only to get max 60fps.

It must be the fact in high action scenes there can be artifacting but I think for some games where the action is more static like in RTS it could work.

Or it could be that they want everyone to get the latest and greatest, and if they made a card that does 120fps this way they won't sell so many once a new model comes out.

14. OP
    OP
    Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Well, for starters, the algorithm that makes the video smooth would have to analyse frames before and frames after the current one, which would be useless for gaming.

Those 2000hz tvs suffer from this very problem. If you watch them, the first few frames after a scene change are displayed at normal speed (24/25/30fps). As it's displaying those frames it's analysing the motion, where part of the image has come from and going to, so it then switches over to a 100hz framerate and is much smoother. That's why I say those tv's have a rubber banding effect, whereas the routines that SVP use are much more elegant, as theres no rubber banding whatsoever. The downside to this is that when you seek the video, there's a pause to analyse the frames which it can display at 60/120fps from the get go.. no rubber banding.

This technique is actually really useful for video only. It'd never really work for anything that needs instantaneous feedback/alteration.

On a sidenote, my wife hates the effect and says that it's 'not pure.. and makes films look like they were shot on video'.. I love the effect, and its when the camera pans that it has its best effect.

15. demowhc

demowhc Member

No they dont vladdo, unless you have a shit TV.

My TV is flawless with gaming, no dropping refresh rates/frame rates or anything else, it looks like a perfectly fluid and vsync'd 240fps image (or 120 per eye in 3D), but it does introduce slight input lag, totally unnoticable using a gamepad, but you can feel it with mouse, about the same as input lag from vsync.

edit: they should add this tech to consoles imo

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  16. Bertross

Bertross Member

dont ever say that again! :thumbup: :p

17. mtma

mtma Member

Your wife would be partly correct in disliking it.

With things like film the shutter times are often deliberately adjusted to achieve different effects, so by using an interpolative filter you're losing some of the creative intent of the piece being viewed.

OTOH some pieces of work like sport and documentaries can benefit from it - although no real information is actually added.

18. OP
    OP
    Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I wish that the next generation/digital projection goes straight to 60fps but then that'd mess up home cinema/blurays.. I can understand where she's coming from but I'm the sort of person that likes progress rather than tradition. You're also correct in saying that it doesn't add anything, however, it does make video that much closer to what your eye would naturally see. If the biggest update to gaming in recent years is the move to 120hz, then surely video should also benefit from that progression as well. Yes it does add artifacts but it's not that bad.

Update: Having used 3.11 for a few days now I've come to the conclusion that it's a buggy mess. There's some serious mem leaks going on which causes it to crash after a few minutes. I've reverted back to 3.06 and it behaves correctly.

19. auApex

auApex Member

Just installed and this thing is amazing! Works perfectly without any tweaks. Video looks great! Thanks for the awesome find :thumbup:

20. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

Very nice program, sometimes it whinges about variable frame rate messages though.